Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 16:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sound Card
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 18:26 
Editors
Editors

I noticed better high-end performance with my Audigy4 than with any of the integrated sound I've got, but I tend to keep the volume fairly low (neighbours) so it's never that great an issue.

The biggest difference I've noticed is with high-end speakers, and as I'm not running 5.1 surround any more (got sick of the huge sub and five million wires) the high-end speaker argument goes out the window for me. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 22:35 

LOL, we need to just get serious and make a music/audio buff thread.

I used to make a lot of game videos and Tool was my favorite band to use for soundtracks, mostly FEAR videos. I've done some videos of racing games too but the problem is there I look for techno music that doesn't have much vocals and I always struggle to find appropriate content. I have used a lot of Juno Reactor though for racing and other games.

I already know people with tons of music files, but thanks for the offer. I'm picky about bit rate and most people just have 128kb stuff. I could get lots of music but a lot of the music out there I don't care for anymore. I'm 50 and like a lot of classic rock, but it gets old after a while.

I wish there were more bands like Tool, they have a unique sound that just engulfs me.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2008, 01:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Ontopic: What do you think people, does an sound card give you noticeble better sound?

Well, my onboard piece of crab (forget name) had abysmal static and bad highs and lows when I turned up the volume; and even if I didn't I could hear it a little.

I've got a Auzentech X-fi Prelude and its undeniably better. Surround actually works now too!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2008, 03:24 

crab logo is realtek I think, which cover oh about 99% of integrated sound, and most network and sata controllers too.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2008, 05:15 
Insiders
Insiders

LOL wordfilter.

Anyway it wasthiswonderful piece of work.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 17:10 
Editors
Editors

LOL, we need to just get serious and make a music/audio buff thread.

Go on. I'd be interested. Although I'd probably spend more time wincing at the cost of some of the high-end stuff than anything else. :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 19:23 

Hmmm....I must be one of the few people who's been happy with their Creative products.

I currently have a X-Fi Extreme Music running just fine on my new Vista 64 build. No problems with the drivers, just took the most recent ones from their site. I also have owned a few of their MP3 players (Zen Vision M and Zen V) and have had zero problems with them.

Granted, it sounds like they took forever to update their drivers, but this seems commonplace with electronics now-days Doesn't excuse it, but...

To get back in track, I think whether you need an audio card is going to depend on how much money you have to spend and what you're going to use it for. Look for a good deal and you'll probably be happy. Just don't buy $200 card and expect amazing results from $20 set of speakers :)