Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 22 Oct 2024, 02:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dell 2709W and gaming
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2008, 11:48 

Hello,

Right now i have a DELL 2407WFP 24" monitor and i am considering to buy the DELL 2709W.

But the thing i am worry about when i read the review about the 2709W is the input lag as you can read here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-dell-2709w-part14.html#DVD

I don't know if my current monitor(2407WFP) has the same input lag but i wanna know if the 2709 monitor also is good for gaming, like call of duty 4.

Hope anybody can help me out.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2008, 14:33 

is this an upgrade or you going duals?

If your thinking that this will be a huge upgrade, I wouldn't waste your time or money.

However if its not taking over that screen, from what I've read it doesn't suffer anymore than the 2407 does.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 01:21 

So what you saying is that the 2709 W is not better and not worse then the 2407 ? and what about the input lag between those 2 ?

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 01:49 

The 2709W is the monitor people have been awaiting the release of revision A01 for, which is supposed to correct the input lag problem. If you're seeing low prices on them it's probably due to them wanting to clear out the old ones before they revise them. Better that then get caught up in a lottery situation and not know what version you'll get.

IMO noticeable input lag on large res displays is not acceptable if you're using it mainly for gaming. I plan on using a large display with my next build and I'll be looking for one with less than one frame of lag like the Doublesight DS-263N.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 10:21 

The 2709W is the monitor people have been awaiting the release of revision A01 for, which is supposed to correct the input lag problem. If you're seeing low prices on them it's probably due to them wanting to clear out the old ones before they revise them. Better that then get caught up in a lottery situation and not know what version you'll get.

IMO noticeable input lag on large res displays is not acceptable if you're using it mainly for gaming. I plan on using a large display with my next build and I'll be looking for one with less than one frame of lag like the Doublesight DS-263N.

Well i play mostly call of duty 4 and other fps games and i play them right now with my current display the 2407. (wich i have the idea that it play's not bad)

So what your saying is that there will be no difference if i buy the 2709 lag-wise and quality wise and that there are better display's for gaming ?
If i buy the 2709 then i only have a bigger display with the same problems as the 2407 ?
Sorry that i ask so much but i am planning to buy a new one as soon as i know what to choose. :)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 11:41 
Editors
Editors

Just ask for what you need to know. :)

There should be a difference lag wise:
digitalversus

dell forums

As Frag Maniac mentioned, it might be worthwhile to wait for a new revision of this screen if input lag is a concern for you.

Personally I don't notice input lag, at least not at 33ms and I play FPS games. Either I'm good at compensating or it doesn't affect my gameplay in any notisable degree if to look at results. It was however a bit extreme on digitalversus even for my taste and it might ruin my headshots.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 12:13 

Well ofcourse is noticeable input lag for me not acceptable, when i read that link on the DELL forum you gave me it's pretty obvious not to choose for the 2709W BUT are you saying that there will be a release of revision A01 from the 2709W ? if so can you tell me where i can buy that one and if that version doesn't have the input lag.

On the other hand i don't wanna wait so long, maybe that revision version takes months.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 12:43 
Editors
Editors

Unfortunately I have little information about the A01, but Frag Maniac might have. The Dell forums usually put out information if its confirmed that a new revision is on its way, but I couldn't find anything with a quick search. :(

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 13:15 

hmm ok, thankx and what about the other options ? like the Doublesight DS-263N or even maybe some other brands that are good ?
I live in the Netherlands and i am wondering where i can buy the Doublesight DS-263N.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008, 21:16 

Unfortunately I have little information about the A01, but Frag Maniac might have.
As I stated above, I can only guess based on what I've read that Dell is perhaps intending to wait until all or most of the current 2709W models are sold, perhaps via promotional deals, then release revision A01. Since Dell has fairly lenient warranty policies on their displays I doubt they want to get caught up in a lottery situation and wind up with lots of returns based on word of mouth comparisons
I live in the Netherlands and i am wondering where i can buy the Doublesight DS-263N.
Well even if you find a place that carries that brand near you, many vendors are out of stock on them due to high demand. It's also a 26" display (25.5" actual), so it goes for about $700 even in the US. I was mainly pointing out examples of low lag displays at a good price, for it's size anyway.

Doublesight doesn't list any distributors outside the US on their US site, even though they are a Korean manugfacturer. You could check into the Hazro brand in the UK, which have S-IPS panel displays (the DS-263N is S-IPS) including a 24" one. They also have aluminum bezels.