Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 17:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 07:09 

OK,

I am in the FINAL stages of my new gaming build, after being out of comission for a few years (my last build was a "Doom 3 killer", to date myself... :wink: )

My question is, I JUST received my 2 Sapphire 5850s in the mail, as I had given up hope in finding a 5970. I am REALLY wanting to do Eyefinity with a triple monitor setup (3 Dell p2210h). I didn't realize until it was too late that Eyefnity crossfire ONLY worked on the 5970...

Should I return the 5850s and wait it out for a 5970, or just roll with single card support for Eyefinity with my 5850 and cross my fingers for driver support for crossfire.

Any advice? I think I am losing hair over this! :lol:

system so far is:
Armor plus case
i7 920
MSI Eclipse PLUS mobo
6GB ram (to start)
SSD 32GB boot drive
500GB data drive
Silverstone 1200 watt PSU
3 Dell p2210h mon. (with displayport)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 15:01 

I would say return both cards and buy one 5870. That should be sufficient for now. If ever you want to do crossfire 5870 later, then maybe at that time eyefinity is already supported.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 16:56 
Editors
Editors

Return both if EF+CF is that important to you (it would be to me) and keep a weather eye out for a 5970. ;)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 18:26 

That's the way I am leaning....I REALLY want some Crysis triple monitor action...Guess it's Ebay for the 5850s! 8)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 07:32 

Why still bother playing crysis on 3 monitors? I bet you already finished that game a long time ago. Or maybe it's just for bragging rights? lol. If that's the case, then it's understandable :)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 08:09 

Actually..I have been out of the "PC-Loop" for some time...my last build was in anticipation of Doom 3..yes, I know..lol

So, as you can probably imagine, Crysis didn't run all that well on the 'ole "wayback machine". :mrgreen:

That's not the only one, of course..I plan on re-visiting the Half LIfe series (one of my all time favs), along with Far Cry 2(only tried 1). Those are just the immediates. I was a DIE HARD COD fan back in the day, so I'll be picking up where I left off on those as well! (which would be COD3).

On a side note, the triple monitor setup isn't JUST for gaming. I do some work with Photoshop CS4/After Effects/Particle Illusion/VUE7. That's actually how my new build STARTED, but of course the "bug" got me and now I am back at it full throttle! (now if only my dang 5970 would arrive, I'll be ready to finish this beast and get to it! :twisted: )

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 13:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Getting a EF card, I'm sure i'll get around to getting three screens set up one day. When that happens, you can bet I'l be re-playing a LOT of games. Crysis included, I'm sure.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 15:03 
Editors
Editors

That's not the only one, of course..I plan on re-visiting the Half LIfe series (one of my all time favs), along with Far Cry 2(only tried 1). Those are just the immediates. I was a DIE HARD COD fan back in the day, so I'll be picking up where I left off on those as well! (which would be COD3).

As far as I remember, CoD3 was a console-only game. And it was terrible. CoD4:Modern Warfare was good, but short if you didn't do the multiplayer. CoD:World at War was not well received, and CoD:MW2 has no dedicated servers, so if that's important for you for multiplayer, then steer clear.

Personally, I still like CoD1, but the others... not so bothered about.

And Far Cry 2... nothing like the first. Very, very repetitive and samey.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 17:22 

I stand corrected on Call of Duty...I was thinking of Medal Of Honor. (I DID do COD3 but it was on XBOX360.).

Can't wait to try Far Cry 2. Also kinda psyched about Bioshock 2 - hopefully it works in Eyefinity!!