Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 12:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 18:43 

I just bought a system from Staples but it turns out it is not suitable for gaming so I am returning it this week.

I don't have an unlimited budget and mostly want to run FSX flight simulator with three 24" monitors . I will run Nvidia 3D vision surround
but will have to settle for ATI Eyefinity for now.

What do I need ?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 19:07 

I just bought a system from Staples but it turns out it is not suitable for gaming so I am returning it this week.

I don't have an unlimited budget and mostly want to run FSX flight simulator with three 24" monitors . I will run Nvidia 3D vision surround

What do I need ?

You're video card will (should) be the single most expensive component in the PC. You need to either make a decision now on ATI vs nVidia, or simply wait. It's not really a 'settle for ATI now' type thing unless you don't mind selling or shelfing it if you decide later you want nVidia's 3D.

Nobody likes to say they made a poor choice, so I will recommend the system I just built: :)

Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Intel i5-750
2x Corsair 4GB (2x2G) DDR3 1600
2x ATI 5870
Zalman 1000w PS
NZXT LEXA S Case

Drop down to 4GB memory and one video card to save some duckets. If you do not plan on running to video cards, drop down to a 850w PS to save another 100 bucks. (don't do it, get the 1000)

Others can recommend a i5/MB deal, as they seem to be plentyful, but I like this motherboard. Also, I am guessing that most MB's bundled will have a x4 as the 2nd PCIe slot, which is no good if you want a second video card in the future.

You still need an OS, Hard drive and Optical drive. I transferred those from old PC.

gl

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 00:47 
Insiders
Insiders

Yepp. A beefy video card is paramount to good gaming. It's usually the priciest part i buy when i get a new machine. I'm pretty most most pre-built computers these days will have an i5 or i7 CPU, so that should suffice. And if it has one of those, it
ll have enough RAM for you, too.

I'm guessing FSX is a pretty demanding game, particularly if you want to play it on 3 24 inchers. Other users could probably give you a godo idea of what you'll need. Liek the desk-space:)

Duckets? You meant ducats?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 16:47 

[quote]I just bought a system from Staples but it turns out it is not suitable for gaming so I am returning it this week.

What do I need ?

You're video card will (should) be the single most expensive component in the PC. You need to either make a decision now on ATI vs nVidia, or simply wait. It's not really a 'settle for ATI now' type thing unless you don't mind selling or shelfing it if you decide later you want nVidia's 3D.

Nobody likes to say they made a poor choice, so I will recommend the system I just built: :)

Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Intel i5-750
2x Corsair 4GB (2x2G) DDR3 1600
2x ATI 5870
Zalman 1000w PS
NZXT LEXA S Case

Drop down to 4GB memory and one video card to save some duckets. If you do not plan on running to video cards, drop down to a 850w PS to save another 100 bucks. (don't do it, get the 1000)

Others can recommend a i5/MB deal, as they seem to be plentyful, but I like this motherboard. Also, I am guessing that most MB's bundled will have a x4 as the 2nd PCIe slot, which is no good if you want a second video card in the future.

You still need an OS, Hard drive and Optical drive. I transferred those from old PC.

gl

Why 2 5870 cards ? A friend has just one and it works fine on three
monitors. He had to find a DP to DVI adapter for the third monitor which
worked for him.

Problem with Nvidia 3D is the 24" monitors are not available and the drivers
are not released .

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 05:20 

Wanted PTS, had MTB. :) :)