Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 19:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2007, 22:41 

hi all i just got hp 30".
i have one question, do i need to put both two dvi cable in monitor and connect this two dvi cable in graphic card ?
i tryed just one and it worked too....but i need two ? tthanks

Hahaha i don't know *how* many times i've seen this question now :D

No you *don't* need two cables to run the monitor on one computer, the other cable that comes with the screen is for your second computer, you do have a second computer don't you ?? (all true nerds have atleast two "active" computers and then a few more sitting in a corner or a closet somewhere :P)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 16:06 

[TBOC]Razor, tnx for answer.

I have another question. I have dell 24" monitor too, could i use it too with 30" lcd monitor ? 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 resoluton ? two monitor connected on one pc ?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 16:20 

[TBOC]Razor, tnx for answer.

I have another question. I have dell 24" monitor too, could i use it too with 30" lcd monitor ? 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 resoluton ? two monitor connected on one pc ?

Of course you can, why wouldn't you be able to ??

Just plug them both in and go into the settings for your g-card and make sure everything is set correctly.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2007, 21:11 

Is it worthwhile going 30"? How far from your screen do you have to be?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2007, 22:29 

Is it worthwhile going 30"? How far from your screen do you have to be?

Of course it's wortwhile :P

I sit as far from my 30" as it is wide ;)

About 60cm (just google "60 centimetres in inches" to see how much it is in inches :) )

If I'm watching movies etc I sit a bit further away from the screen than I do if I'm gaming.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2007, 19:59 

How far from your screen do you have to be?

The same distance, or a tad closer, from which you feel comfortable watching a 17" TFT. That's because 30" panels have about the same pixel pitch, with 30-inchers being of slightly smaller pixel pitch.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2008, 00:54 

Great site you guys have here. Since I picked up a Dell 3007WFP-HC at the end of last year when Dell had them on sale, I figured I should post my findings so far. I've been searching this thread for mentions, but I could always miss something.

Anyways, here goes:
Psychonauts: Runs great at 2560 x 1600 (with the usual cutscene stretching)

Age of Wonders 2: I can select it from the menu, but the game crashes when attempting to use this resolution. 1920 x 1200 runs fine, so I suspect the game doesn't support it.

Geometry Wars: runs great once I actually get the game to switch res (it crashes on me when switching).

Ys: The Oath in Felghana: Japanese import (but translated). Runs but everything is stretched. I should write this one up, since you guys don't have a listing.

Mutant Storm: Maxes out at 1600 x 1200, although smaller widescreen resolutions are supported (including our favourite half-scale 1280 x 800). I should write this one up too.

Mr. Robot: Correction from before; with the config utility you can set any resolution (including 2560 x 1600), but the game is stretched.

Worms Armageddon: The latest patch providing custom resolutions appears to max out at 1920 x 1200 (although I can see the entire island this way, so it's not a huge loss).

Unreal Tournament (original): Same issue described for Deus Ex, but I haven't had a chance to try it with OpenGL mode since reading this thread.

I'll try out more stuff specifically on the weekend and let you guys know. Maybe even take some screenshots and try a report out.

Oh, here are my specs:
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2.42 GHz, 2 GB OCZ DDR2 Ram (I can't remember the speed), MSI K9V Platinum MB, ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB.

This will be replaced sometime in February with a Mac Pro I ordered with a GeForce 8800GT, but only one Xeon.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 01:13 
Editors
Editors

Not going for any necro award here, just thought I have a useful addition.

Some games that offer flexible resolution options can be tested for higher resolutions on a smaller monitor by running the game in a window. I did this to test my Triplehead tweaks for BFME2. The game ran perfect at 3000x800 and other surround resolutions when windowed on my 1440x900 screen. Sure, the game window went way off screen and it wasn't playable that way, but it confirmed that the game did work at those resolutions.

Might be helpful for those who want to test games at 2560x1600 but don't have a 30" screen.

It also helps to have a utility like ShellEnhancer so you can ALT+click anywhere on a window to drag it around.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 13:00 

this

It's visible from all angles but only in dark conditions and with a dark image on the monitor. Like, for instance, if I were to play Doom 3 with minimal lighting in my room then the bottom left corner would be clearly brighter than the rest of the panel. Of course with a completely black image such as in the pic I linked, the bleed is most severe.

One thing I'm sure of: I would take the monitor back IF I had the chance (it is substantially more than 2 weeks old so I can't take it back). I am pretty sure that Dell won't consider this flaw reason enough for replacement under the ordinary warranty.

My 3007WFP always made an odd hissing noise when powering up, and sometimes the picture wouldn't come up at all. Sometimes I would get only 1 backlight, with the other staying off (I'm guessing it had 2, one at the top and one at the bottom). This was rare but it did happen more than once, and on multiple PC's, so it was the monitor.

As the TFT's I had before the 3007, the Dell also experienced the sticking picture problem. It got worse as time passed. When it was new I might see the stark contracts between toolbar rows and the lines between them in desktop apps (interweb browser, file browser, that sort). Lately it had started burning in even light areas. Sometimes I would get the whole browser window every time there's a grey area on screen, and with the color range of today's games, I would get that a lot.

Some time ago I noticed it had developed a dead pixel in center, lower third. This was the final straw. So I contacted Dell through a customer service e-mail form on their website. I waited, day after day... Soon a week had passed. So I called them on Monday. None of the flaws I had alone would have warranted a new panel, I'm sure of it, but all of them added together, they didn't even cough and promised me a new panel the next day as is their warranty. I asked the CS person, "can I have a phone call 45 minutes or 1 hour before the courier arrives?", to which he replied, "Ummm. Eh, our courier, it's kind of funny, but they don't want to do that. Um, they don't want to make these calls." Hilarious. But OK, I was going to be home anyway. I asked, "so when do they usually deliver? Some time during morning hours?", and he said "Yes, it should be in the morning."

Well, then it was next day. Morning went past, no monitor. Soon it was 4 pm. No monitor. Sleepy time... no monitor. Today at noon, I called Dell again. "Oh, you made the initial call so late (it was 3pm-ish). That would make it a day-after-tomorrow delivery." Fine. But why wasn't I informed of this? "You should receive the new panel today." Half an hour later, I received a call from a UPS courier. "Hi, Jupix there? I should be there within 1 hour."

So now I've got a 3007WFP-HC. I was hoping for a 3008WFP, but oh well. At least I got lucky in that respect - this one bleeds light from the top, and has blue spots all over the center of the image. The backlight looks very weird, like it has vertical stripes all over the panel. The HC is a bit better than my 3007WFP, but still unacceptable. (I'm not really surprised. I've heard of big corps like Dell replacing defective units with replaced defective units in the hopes the customer wouldn't notice or would be too tired to have a rant for a new one. Unfortunately to them, I'm used to ranting.)

So I called Dell. I explained the situation and again, the CS agreed with a sigh that this one is being RMA'd as well. This time, having gotten the initial someone-elses-RMA defective unit out of the way, I said I'd prefer if they stopped with that shit and shipped a factory-new panel. I remain sceptical as to whether I will actually get one, but if I do, at least it'll be a 3008. I would be happy with another HC, though, the bigger color gamut sure is nicer than the one in the 3007WFP. We'll find out soon, when they deliver yet another one. Talk about a cliffhanger!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 14:16 

Got a factory new 3008WFP. Works like a charm. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next