Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 19:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 22:05 
Administrators
Administrators

http://www.memtest.org/

is the best

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 00:50 

That's the one I've used to date, I've tried using the other stick so unless there's a common mis-contact or both are defective, it's not a ram problem.

Did find what caused 32bit reinstall to bluescreen though, the onboard graphics setting, I had meddled with them trying to see if it helped the 64bit version, and it seems 'fixed' instead of 'dvmt' causes 32bit vista to fail on gfx detection. Don't know if it also crashes the 64bit setup since that was changed after.

So far with 32bit vista, controller is installed, 2 of 8 drives are hooked up, shutdown works and I've made partitions. All data cables are plugged into the controller. I'm adding power 2 by 2 with a shutdown in between, see if it stops because of an overload or something.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 01:03 
Administrators
Administrators

Interesting find! That's a good testing method too. best of luck

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 01:38 

Did we discuss flashing the BIOS?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 05:53 

Yes thanks Edward, it's flashed to latest.

So far looks like a case of 64bit being touchy.

Under 32bit it works with 8 drives in raid 0 and serving files. Only issue I've had is copying some files over from the current server, it kept saying things like invalid filenames and other errors, try again worked every time though, I'm thinking the network cable is just loose a bit and going through many power cables since the box is in the middle of the room at the moment.

Under 32bit the controller installs with the same driver package but separate files for 32 and 64 bit versions.

I'd try the other pci cards that had problems see if they're fine now too but for now it works so only thing I have left is mirroring the temp boot drive onto the 80gb. I used my old laptop drive to test 32bit, didn't want to wipe 64bit for nothing if it didn't work, especially after spending hours updating it.

Once it's mirrored and working, I'll unhook the 80gb and use the now redundant laptop drive to test the other pci cards without nuking the good install.

My best guess is that for whatever reason 64bit's larger address space in this case proves a problem rather than a solution, like there's too much to manage for interrupts, memory, hard drive addresses, etc.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 18:18 

Before I'd wipe the 80gb / 64bit to replace it with the now working 32bit install, I figured I'd boot it, see how it was.

It booted, which was a first, since it halted on logo before.
On that boot drives just needed importing then the array was available.
It shutdown without freeze.
However on booting back, the drives were offline, and trying to 'reactivate disk' failed refering me to the help, which wasn't.

Guess the 64bit controller drivers are just broken.

Since there's no advantage to 64bit on this machine, I'll be putting 32bit on the 80gb and calling it a day, shameful though, it's only the 2nd device to date where I'm unable to use in 64bit.