Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 18:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2007, 20:52 

well i just got a msg from Keijo with the same panel as mine, and i guess its the ati brand as it shows all the info with all nvidia cards that person tryed but not with the ati, so i guess now theres no point in holding out for an ati r600 series, but ive waited this long i'll probably wait for the refresh of the 8800 that is supposed to come out when the r600 does.

MaulSidious: it stays in standby mode? yellow light? until windows loads then it displays and works just fine, but as it is now there is noway i could reinstall windows without using a different monitor

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2007, 05:57 

if its staying in standby until windows loads it sounds like it could be the card the dvi-out on the card isnt kicking in until the drivers initialise it or something. oh quick edit do you have a vga out on the card as well? cause mine only has dvi maybe yours runs of the vga until the drivers load and tell it to use the dvi.

but aye id wait for the 8800refresh personally the r600 has been delayed so much now its either gonna be fecking awesome but about the same as a 8800 refresh or stink like a dead pony.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 20:29 

well this last weekend i got to test it with a cousins nvidia 7800 video card and yes it did display the bios info and the bootup screens prior to windows loading.
so.. any thoughts on whether its the ati brand video cards or just the fact that i have ati's enemies chipset, (nforce)

i will try and test it with more combinations as i can

i wanted to test it on his ps3 also but didnt have an hdmi/dvi adaptor

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 11:13 

Well its not the ati 'brand' cause i have ati and it displays bios and boot screens fine like i said might be a dodgy card might be cause you got a vga port on your card too, my card only has dvi.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 09:38 

All right,

I have the Dell 30", too. Any game runs smoothly in 2560x1600. For the first time ever I had to revert to a lower resolution, however, whilst playing Stalker (my specs are below). Astonishingly I got particular low frame rates on my way to the Agroprom facility in this underground tunnel network (as low as 18 frames). All settings are on max (except shadows) complete with dynamic lighting. Lowering the resolution in this particular place hardly increased the framerate, so it must either be CPU-related or some sort of a driver issue. I`m waiting for a new driver and a 2nd GTX...;-)

Oblivion looks particularly spectacular after I installed a bunch of rather nifty addon-texture packs (http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/totoworld). Even a 8800GTX is pushed to its max (memory-wise) with these new textures which REALLY do look great!

g

Post subject: Yo yo yo..
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007, 19:41 

Checking in..

Just got my Cold Cathode 30 incher. WOW! I was going to order the 27" (as my friend got one, and I was amazed by, not only the high output of the display, but also the brushed alum. finish and piano-black base), but I opted for the 30 behemoth. Glad I went all thirty inches. Lotsa screen realestate. Soon I'll upgrade my two 24's to 30 as well. I just wish there was multi-monitor support, not just WS support. In the not-too-distant-future I guess..

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2007, 11:36 

ok ive done some more testing now, tried 2 different ati radeon cards x1600 and x1900xtx, neither showed the bootup screens or bios etc, black screen until windows loads, which would make trouble shooting/installing windows hard.
tried 2 nvidia cards 7800 and 8800 and both showed the bootup screens. so i bought an 8800 and it works great. ati just lost my business forever unless/until i get a different lcd sometime.
this is with an hp lp3065 lcd panel. which another person pm'ed me with pretty much same results as mine, although for some reason the dell 30" seems ok with ati brand cards.
anyway i hope this info helps someone avoid the same problems

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 10:45 

CNC3 works fine on 30", can be added to the list.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 11:23 
Editors
Editors

Question for you guys. is the native res of 2560x1600 noticibly better than a scaled 1920x1200? I mean with so many pixels already there is there really any strong visual upgrade with 2560x1600?? Aside from desktop realistate and stuff like that, I mean in games.

I cant imagine it would much myself since I can scale lower res's to 1920x1080 on a 37" and it looks about the same and the native of 1920x1080 looks wonderfull.

I have no way to judge tho for myself.

There is no way I could power that with my current rig tho, It was struggling just abit on Stalker with max settings with 1920x1080 so I had to bring it down to like 1200x700ish and just aspect scale it back up. Honestly it looks the same to me, but runs much smoother.

Oh and one comment, sombody said that at that max res (2560x1600) to keep in mind you need a very strong cpu to run it. I just wanted to notate that the more graphicly chalenged you make things the less it depends on the cpu and the more it depends on the video card. You have to find exactly where that bottleneck occures on your system to judge if you need more cpu power or not.

Easy way to tell: If you can add more "eye candy" and your FPS stays the same your being held back by the cpu.

If you can downclock you cpu and your fps stays the same with no visual adjustments your videocard is at its limits.

I think I'll write us a bottleneck faq/guide somtime this week since everybody is getting these ultra rigs now it may be usfull information.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 12:14 

Scaling often blurs the image. Using the native resolution gives a much sharper image, and with such a small pixel pitch, you don't need antialias, which you most certainly will do with scaled lower resolutions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next