Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 08:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2005, 22:16 

I bought a a Samsung LN-238W 23' wide. Is this a crappy choice for gaming? Currently have X800 pro, when I upgrade to dual 6800 cards will I see a diff? Seems like WoW and Raven Shield both jitter abit. Icons on desktop have a slight ghost on the right side. Should i connect using DVI->HDMI ? Just not 100% convinced I did the right thing with here.

hmm

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2005, 06:59 

connect with VGA, i heard its much better on these particular series of TVs

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2005, 14:55 

I bought a a Samsung LN-238W 23' wide. Is this a crappy choice for gaming? Currently have X800 pro, when I upgrade to dual 6800 cards will I see a diff? Seems like WoW and Raven Shield both jitter abit. Icons on desktop have a slight ghost on the right side. Should i connect using DVI->HDMI ? Just not 100% convinced I did the right thing with here.

hmm

Ghost usually is a cable by-product. I had the x800 pro, until I built my current rig. It's not the x800 that's your problem. Mine worked EXCELLENT. No ghost. No issues. Games ran great. Video quality, in fact, was super. Not as fast as dual 7800 GTX, but in terms of image quality, TOP NOTCH.

Question though, why would you buy that Samsung? How much did it run you? Cause the Dell 24" wide is simply stunning. It's so good, I got 3 of them. I used to run on 4 19" Dell 1905's, but one monitor was never in the center. Besides, none were wide.

Well, enough BS about my monitors - the reason I'm asking why you went with Samsung, is that you could have gotten the Dell 2405 wide for $830 shipped (total, with tax). I know they're like $1200 retail, but from time to time, Dell has awesome deals. If you count $1200 + tax + shipping, comes out to almost $1350. But again, you could have gotten it for $830.

To troubleshoot your issue, HDMI in my experience has not given great results. I've tried HDMI to HDMI and DVI to HDMI, both, with poor picture quality (60 inch HD Panasonic TV). Best results were obtained using the component video inputs, from various sources, such as DVI, component (progressive or non), and even to some degree VGA (although the VGA source was always weakest of all, since it's analog).

Maybe your set is defective?

Best of luck in troubleshooting..

Let me know how else I can help. I have 20+ years of HI END audio/video experience (the likes of Mark Levinson, Classe, B&W, Meridian, McIntosh, Velodyne, Mirage, Rotel, Marantz, etc.). I'll try to help you as much as I can. I also have 25+ years of PC experience. My first was a Spectrum ZX, then C64, then Amiga, then 386sx25, and so on..

A quick suggestion - Google your issue, using the model # of your Samsung on the net. See if others might have posted a similar problem.

Cheers..

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2005, 09:36 

To troubleshoot your issue, HDMI in my experience has not given great results. I've tried HDMI to HDMI and DVI to HDMI, both, with poor picture quality (60 inch HD Panasonic TV). Best results were obtained using the component video inputs, from various sources, such as DVI, component (progressive or non), and even to some degree VGA (although the VGA source was always weakest of all, since it's analog).

Maybe your set is defective?

you say that VGA is always the weakest since its analog

Component video inputs are also analog buddy

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 08:27 

For the Samsung LNR238W, it says right in the manual that the HDMI input does not support PC use.

Use the regular monitor input with as good a cable as you can find.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 22:16 

I have that monitor with a 6800 XT and it runs pretty well. I use a WSXGA cable I bought from Cables-to-go in the VGA input. The resolution is 1368 x 720, so there is some screen door effect when you're sitting close.

HDMI does not work for PC, so forget it. Maybe with Vista, but I use XP. The monitor isn't really a PC monitor, though. It works better as an HDTV. That's why I'm moving it to the bedroom with HD cable box, and replacing it with a real PC monitor (Samsung 22").

The only problem I've ever had with this TV is the reds are a little blurry, but otherwise I've been very happy.