Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 17:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2005, 14:26 
Founder
Founder

My other ASUS EAX800XT had a bad DVI out - I got a replacement & the same side DVI out (closest to the motherboard) is causing when used flashing.

Here is ASUS' response ....

" Please fallow these steps.

Clean the PCI express port on your motherboard. Make sure that the card is seated all the way in the slot. Test the card in another motherboard.

If the card works like it is supose to in an other motherboard then you need to trouble shoot the motherboard. In that case your problem seems to be caused by an electrical stoppage of some kind. Check that your MB is not picking up EMI (Electromagnetic Interference), or improperly grounding against the case. Please remove the MB from the case and set it up DIRECTLY on the cardboard box it came in or some other non-static, non-conductive surface, like a telephone book. Install the power supply, processor (with heat sink and fan), memory and video card. If the motherboard has the vocal POST feature activated, plug speakers into the onboard audio jacks. If the board doesn't have this feature, or if it's deactivated, make sure to install a case speaker on the board.

If this eliminates the problem, then your problem has been caused by grounding. You will need to electrically isolate the MB from the case in order to correct it. To do this, you will need to use electrical tape to cover the brass stand-offs that support the MB, and insert paper washers between the MB and the heads of the mounting screws. The red paper washers should be included with your case hardware, or they can be purchased at Radio Shack or a computer store.
Make sure that no stand-offs are placed in a spot where the motherboard isn't designed to be grounded, as some cases will have different standoff locations to accommodate different styles of motherboards. Also check that there are no other metal objects that could contact the motherboard or any other electrical device attached to the system, such as a metal burr, loose screw, metal rod, or any other object that could cause a short.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883 (M-F 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST)."

MY QUESTIONS:

So who/where will I get another identical $300 MB to test it on?

Who will pay for the 3 to 6 hrs Tech time (@ $60/hr) to strip apart my PC & reassmble?
- remember I have VGA & CPU cooling blocks.

Also I do have an EMI proof" case ThermalTake Shark SVA7000.

No wonder he doesn't want a response from me!!!

I can't beleive ASUS doesn't have a repair facility in Canada. Only in Tennesse USA.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2005, 14:45 
Founder
Founder

UPDATE

Well --- another great support kudo for ASUS ---

I called the Tech support line & spoke to Dave - my original Tech for these issues on the other card.

BS - he says to the PITA email to me. He said they will do another Advance RMA & ship me another card free. !!!

As I posted before I got bad lick. - Seems I got 2 bad cards.

There are no known issues like this with these cards.

So another $25 to ship this card back & another $40 to remount the card & waterblock on it.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2005, 17:23 
Editors
Editors

Sorry to hear about your woes... :(

Maybe the next card you should test for a few days before watercooling?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2005, 15:57 
Founder
Founder

RMA UPDATE:

Welll.... Since this is my 3rd RMA as ASUS wants to define it :roll: (actually the 1st with this card) _ I can't just get another one shipped until a 3rd level engineer makes the call.... SIGH :evil:

P...S...

RE waiting to watercool - this VID card makes such a turbo (banshee) howl :shock: during extensive gaming - I will not put up with that!!! So it's water block or nada.

I have to turn up the volume so loud I'm afraid the subwoofer SLF may killl one of my bouviuers or other pets!!! :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2005, 16:07 
Editors
Editors

I didn't mean leave it on - just until you know the card isn't DOA too... ;)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2005, 08:00 

spending so much cash on installing video cards/water cooling

whatever happened to DIY? :(

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2005, 14:55 
Founder
Founder

RE: "whatever happened to DIY?"

With soooooo many cables & small wires to hook up with my lack of fine motor skills (dexterity) in my very large fingers precludes me from doing most of that. :(

Also it feels warm & fuzzy to know if they screw it up - it's covered !! :D

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2005, 02:00 
Founder
Founder

UPDATE (I think)

So ASUS just called - they will get a card like mine - get a motherboard like mine then...

Test another new card & if both DVI outs work - they will Advance RAM ship that one to me & when I get it I will ship the 2nd defective one back.

BTW the value of a new boxed card is only $170 US :shock:

That's all of what I have to cover until they get my "old" card back, then they refund my $.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 22:09 
Founder
Founder

UPDATE:

Well ASUS tech never called me back & I got an email yesterday requesting I ship them the card back to test, vis a normal RMA.

I emailed back saying it was unacceptable, as we had agreed on an Advanced RMA & as a normal repair RMA took 6 weeks to do last spring, so I want another Advanced RMA.

This is getting frustrating & bothersome.... :(

I have also not had any confirmation they credited back my $170 US deposit from the Advanced RMA shipping I had to do last month.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2005, 00:23 
Insiders
Insiders

looking grim methinks :)

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E