Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 May 2024, 09:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Notebook or desktop
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 15:47 

personally, if i had to have 1, i would go desktop - and ditch the htpc case.

and i would steer WAY clear of the inspirons. nothing but hassle. if you want a Dell laptop - go latitude or forget it. i've had both. i gave my inspiron away. free.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 02:13 

If you can only have 1 choice, I will say go for notebnook.

I have 2 desktop and 2 noteook. The portability of a notebook with Wi-Fi so that you can to stuff anywhere. Most of my games are played on my desktop but I do have 1 or 2 installed on notebook so that I can play them when I am on the road.

If you like trying out the latest and the greatest and are particular with quality, the raw power of the desktop that you can put in all the great stuff is the way to go.

My next question is wheather should one get a Mac so that we can run both Windowes and Max OS, you get to try out both and get the best of both world.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 02:38 

Another factor i have is the fact that i do most of my gaming late at night after my parents go to sleep so if im talking really late at night they might get annoyed and with a laptop i can carry it downstairs away from them. (our rooms share a wall)

Unless i was to have my pc downstairs but then i couldnt talk when they were watching tv.

And i wouldnt want to move my equipment to much. So i would either have to move it to another room which is kinda hard to do or i would have to get a lappy.

Otherwise i could try getting a barebones lappy with just a x1400 or so and then get a 20 inch monitor no surround sound and deduct some other things but then i have to deal with really bad laptop performance. Plus the laptop is probably an helpful sort of push for them to get it as it is an investment they could also use

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 03:05 

I have a desktop. But since I haven't been gaming I've debated selling it and getting a laptop. I haven't done that because Desktops are useful, powerful, and don't overheat as easily.

My vote: Desktop.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 03:43 

Another factor i have is the fact that i do most of my gaming late at night after my parents go to sleep so if im talking really late at night they might get annoyed and with a laptop i can carry it downstairs away from them. (our rooms share a wall)

Unless i was to have my pc downstairs but then i couldnt talk when they were watching tv.

And i wouldnt want to move my equipment to much. So i would either have to move it to another room which is kinda hard to do or i would have to get a lappy.

Otherwise i could try getting a barebones lappy with just a x1400 or so and then get a 20 inch monitor no surround sound and deduct some other things but then i have to deal with really bad laptop performance. Plus the laptop is probably an helpful sort of push for them to get it as it is an investment they could also use

As much as I hate to say it - cause I friggin HATE "Lac-tops" - due to these factors I really think a Laptop is your best bet. I think you need a lifestyle choice, not a performance choice as you need flexibility to get out of the folks way. Once you are out of the "financier" hair then get a desktop, ouch.

Unless of course you can think of a better solutiont hat won't annoy them. Paint their walls.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 05:39 

Thanks johnny.

OT: What the heck is up with you and painting their walls as a bribe :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 06:38 

It will be seen as a good way to earn some "good will" with the "financiers." It's all about building the relationship, that way they will say to each other "Darling, our very handsome son, oh my how handsome he is, has been working very hard lately, have you seen the good job he did on the painting the walls? I think it is time we bought him a new desktop, and while we are at is why not get him a laptop as well?"

If this doesn't work, go the laptop.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 06:46 

Desktop.

I had to make this choice about 2 years ago. I made the wrong one.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 13:07 

In fact I am going to (for your support of course) start a "Campaign Partition thread" to show your folks how much you deserve a new desktop, where everyone can partition thier support for you to get a desktop instead of a laptop.

Vote here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89240#89240

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 15:27 

Ok i got my price down by 600 bucks by downgrading case. Getting the cheapo dell 20" sceen (basic one). Getting a cheaper but equally good psu. Ditching the 5.1 sound getting a smaller hdd. So what would you reccomend for a laptop to use when they are asleep. On long weekends i will probably just haul my stuff down since it will only be a case, keyboard, mouse, small monitor, pair of headphones. I was looking at the hp basic entertainment notebook with just a 7400 in it but im not sure. I was also thinking of looking at dell outlet as you can often find coupons for 20+% off

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next