Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 05:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 20:56 

Is Alienware a site sponsor?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 01:43 
Insiders
Insiders

No offense, but 2880x900 is crappy surround-screen resolution. Get a TH2G, 3 LCDs, a fresnel lens and build a monitor case just like the one Alienware uses but achieve higher resolution.

A more seamless fresnel lens setup can be done if you modify this design to be like the Alienware one: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=298339

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2008, 05:51 

I've seen photos of those fresnel setups and I've always wondered. I once saw a fresnel magnifying glass and seeing through it made it look like a bunch of transparent circles through the image, are the bigger ones the same and if so how can that be useable as displays?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 08:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Crappy resolution for a crappy price. You could buy an Apple 30" and come out with more resolution for less price.

How is the screen height comparable to 4:3 monitors though? It seemed shortish.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 11:07 

No offense, but 2880x900 is crappy surround-screen resolution. Get a TH2G, 3 LCDs, a fresnel lens and build a monitor case just like the one Alienware uses but achieve higher resolution.

A more seamless fresnel lens setup can be done if you modify this design to be like the Alienware one: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=298339

You do miss the .02ms response time though, which is amazing in my opinion, even if the unit is alittle thick.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2008, 19:31 

Probably some Dell intern couldn't come up with an original idea he/she saw TH2GO and ripped off Matrox, so he/she could get a nice big pat on the back. Alienware, is now Dell by the way if you don't already now that. So I am going to assume this product or ripoff they made is going to get more publicity because it's Dell. Just like how WoW pwns all other MMO games in subscriptions because of publicity. Like, you guys said though... the resolution they made that monstrosity have, it's just dumb. It's way better to go with TH2GOD. I would never buy anything from Alienware(Dell) ever in my life.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2008, 06:01 

probably saw one of those too:

http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/products_radius320.htm

wonder what the defective pixel policy covers :)

as for the dell/alienware box, seems more hype then product to me for some reason, the specs just don't seem real and just plain odd.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2008, 16:52 

I emailed seamless display once for a price, more than some cars is what they told me IE 14000$ but that was a few years back its probably under 10k now (Perhaps that would be a tad optimistic)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2008, 00:39 

By the odd specs I could honestly believe that alienware thing is more a 2x1440x900 panel hack then anything useful ...

Somehow all I've seen of it rings the 'bull(censored) alarm' in my mind, especially the response specs they claim.

PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 05:56 
Editors
Editors

Color me not impressed. Its too short and wide IMO. I know the idea is to have max FOV but since I have been using my 37" for so long now if I lost all that vertical view space I would feel out of place and I feel its just as important to feel immersed into a game/movie.

Honestly even without a ultra wide FOV and curved build a 37" only 4' away from you works pretty damn well to put you "in the game" and has a much added benefit of working with every game and not just ones that can be hacked for ultra wide FOV.

I think I would rather have the Jdome than this :P