Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 May 2024, 00:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 03:56 

I'm in the market for a new 24'' Monitor to use as a secondary monitor and primary gaming display for 360.

I've come to three choices but can't decide which to get, my choices are:
Samsung 24'' 2493HM
HP 24'' w2408h
Gateway 24'' FHD2400

As I said in my topic title, it has to be a best buy available product. Can anyone tell me which of the three would be the best? All of them have HDMI which I'll be using for my 360 in 1080p.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 11:50 

I'm in the market for a new 24'' Monitor to use as a secondary monitor and primary gaming display for 360.

I've come to three choices but can't decide which to get, my choices are:
Samsung 24'' 2493HM
HP 24'' w2408h
Gateway 24'' FHD2400

As I said in my topic title, it has to be a best buy available product. Can anyone tell me which of the three would be the best? All of them have HDMI which I'll be using for my 360 in 1080p.

Thanks!

Umm, have fun at Worst Price. Enjoy spending $200+ more than you should for a monitor. Also, don't EVER expect a device to support 1080i or 1080p unless the box EXPLICITLY states it will. (Too many retarded early HD adopters made that mistake buying TVs that only support 720p at best, then got pissed off because they were the retards who got took.)

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 07:38 

I know the Samsung 2493 supports 1080p...its sold as perfect with Blu Ray Disc drives...I'm deciding right now but I'm leaning towards the 2493...its just beautiful to look at...plus i'm a major Samsung Fan boy....did anyone see that silver Samsung Refrigerator Commercial....I was having orgasms...LOL

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 11:33 

I have to tell you I was skeptical about the 2493HM with such a high contrast ratio and color gamut on a TN display. Sometimes such features as the dynamic contrast ratio mode needed to achieve such numbers can result in very inaccurate color levels on the Delta E scale. I did some checking though and this display has won praise even from top tech sites like AnandTech. It would be my choice of the 3. However I would not necessarily completely trust their MagicColor feature.

A previous model I setup for a friend (245BW) did not look it's best until we used the Nvidia Display Wizard. I think you'll find, as is evident with some of the Newegg reviews on this unit, that MagicColor is mainly a quick preset option for those whom like having a quick easy way to ramp up color saturation rather than prefering truely accurate colors. Samsung includes features like this because they know many people prefer heavy saturation over realism in color.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 17:31 

It's funny...I've never used any of the wizards or software to calibrate the color of my monitors. I probably should. I'm always worried cause I don't really know what source material I should use to compare colors to...I think on a 24" Monitor there is much more need for color to be set correctly...since it will basically will your entire line of view while playing games, viewing movies or just going online.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 18:30 

you know the truth is...DELL makes a fantastic monitor. Their 2408 screen is a SPVA and from what I can see...its the only really nice 24" still made...alot of the S-IPS screens seem to have disappeared.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2008, 20:12 

Yeah some of the Dell's are pretty good and scale better than a lot of the ones in their price range, which is important for gaming. Since you can't get them at BB though I didn't go there.

The 2493's weakness is it's horrible scaling options, 4:3 (which I think is aspect correct), stretch to fit, and overscan. No 1:1 option at all. Also, as with most Samsung displays as of late the 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio once enabled drops the color accuracy to a paltry 12 on the Delta E, which is horrible.

On the other hand the 2493 is one of the better at color accuracy without any of the presets enabled, measuring 2.4 on the Delta E. That's about as good as it gets for a monitor in that price range and much better than the Dell's stock color accuracy.

The Dell would definitely have better viewing angles and being 8 bit vs 6 bit would also display real life movies better, whereas the TN 2493 would show color smearing and pixelation from the dithering it does to synthesize the colors not in it's 6 bit pallete.