Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 23:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Best S-IPS 20"?
PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 19:10 

I have a NEC 20WGX2 which is faulty. It's my third replacement and I want to get a refund and buy something else. However the S-IPS panel has spoiled me. I am not a gamer so speed is not entirely a priority. What is a priority is having a screen with a good viewing angle, good contrast and brightness levels and a good color gamut for photo editing and easy on the eye for web browsing etc.

I was thinking about getting the Dell 2007WFP as I have found a dealer who can definitely send me an S-IPS panel model A04 with serial ending in L. Unless you can recommend something better of course.

PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 20:30 

I would go with the Dell, it's probably the only S-IPS display you'll find at an affordable price in that size. Dell's also have good warranties and scaling. There's also the Doublesight 26" S-IPS, which is about the best deal going in an S-IPS panel right now. It can be had for $680 at Buy.com with free shipping. Sure it's a fair bit more than the 2007WFP, but it has a LOT more screen space, which is very handy for photo editing.

PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 21:22 

Unfortunately the DS-263N is not available in the UK which is where I live. We also get ripped off on prices. We don't have much in the way of rebates over here. The cheapest I can find the 2007WFP is £253 inc delivery although he assures me it's S-IPS and that it has 0 dead/stuck pixels.

PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 22:03 
Editors
Editors

The Dell's the best bet.

PostPosted: 01 May 2008, 22:27 

Unfortunately the DS-263N is not available in the UK which is where I live. We also get ripped off on prices. We don't have much in the way of rebates over here. The cheapest I can find the 2007WFP is £253 inc delivery although he assures me it's S-IPS and that it has 0 dead/stuck pixels.
Yes it is S-IPS, here's a site that verifies such info: Prad Display Comparison

Given your situation and needs, you should probably stick with the Dell.

PostPosted: 03 May 2008, 09:06 
Editors
Editors

I see you have done your homework. :)
2007WFP A04 with ending L should make you clear of the panel lottery and get you an S-IPS instead of S-PVA. If you'll get the LM201W01 or the LM201WE2 which is used in the NEC, I cannot say. Dell have used both I think.

Since you are in UK, there might be an option for you to try the Hazro HZ24W:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-002-HO

User review:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1297031

It'll cost more, but worth looking into.

PostPosted: 03 May 2008, 16:41 

I am also awaiting for the Hazro 24"

great review and very slick outlook... doesn't it look like an apple design without the white :D

and i believe they use the same panel apple used in their 23"

ok... the downside of this monitor is it is currently only available from OCUK... hate this retailer... poor customer support

I already emailed kustom pc to see whether they can get this monitor for me

PostPosted: 15 May 2008, 18:27 

I love my Dell 2007WFP, and I'm sure you will too, unless you really want something bigger.

Does anyone know why Dell ever switched panel types? I remember they had just cleared up the gradient issues, and reviews pretty favorable, and then they swapped to S-PVA (for no good reason that I can think of) :p

PostPosted: 18 May 2008, 12:51 
Editors
Editors

I am also awaiting for the Hazro 24"

great review and very slick outlook... doesn't it look like an apple design without the white :D

and i believe they use the same panel apple used in their 23"

ok... the downside of this monitor is it is currently only available from OCUK... hate this retailer... poor customer support

I already emailed kustom pc to see whether they can get this monitor for me

Nice! :D Many would like a user review on this I think.

I love my Dell 2007WFP, and I'm sure you will too, unless you really want something bigger.

Does anyone know why Dell ever switched panel types? I remember they had just cleared up the gradient issues, and reviews pretty favorable, and then they swapped to S-PVA (for no good reason that I can think of) :p

According to ChrisM at Dell community, a 2007WFP is a 2007WFP regardless of panel in Dells eyes as long as the panel is "within specs". Seeing that they first send them out with S-IPS, gets good reviews and then switching over to cheaper S-PVA it would mean that they wanted good reviews, but lower cost. Same happened with the 2007FP (non-widescreen variant).

PostPosted: 21 May 2008, 23:28 

I am going to hold back until August

Hazro is currently looking into solving the vista stand by problem and adding HDCP on their entire range. I heard the new version is out soon, hopefully before start of August :wink: