Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 10:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Woooohoooo!
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 05:26 

What system is recommended? I can play HL2 at near maximum with almost no drop off in fps.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 06:26 

For the full version, which is over 5GB, it is recommended you have a dual core CPU, 512MB VRAM, and 4GB RAM.

I have a 3Ghz single core, 512MB VRAM (X1950Pro AGP), and 2GB RAM and can run the lite version OK.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 19:13 

Don't mean to sound rude but that explanation makes even less sense. I could understand to a degree if someone is used to brushed and/or less resolute textures saying the mod makes her skin look plastic due to more reflection, but proportion wise she's just the same. The mod does no shape changing whatsoever.

my comments are directly based on the alyx model. the whole reason for the updated character models was to make them look more real. however, by changing the alyx model they made it look less real. they changed a model which was purposely made to not look like the generic stereotype of a woman so many videogames have, into one that does.

sure, the "ultrarealistic" models are better than the original models, but in making these changes they also changed the core of the alyx character.

i also thought it was funny you said "stop gawking at the pics". i thought the idea behind the addon was to do just that.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 19:15 

Don't mean to sound rude but that explanation makes even less sense. I could understand to a degree if someone is used to brushed and/or less resolute textures saying the mod makes her skin look plastic due to more reflection, but proportion wise she's just the same. The mod does no shape changing whatsoever.

What you're doing by saying that is blaming the higher res textures for more accurately showing light and shadow detail, which in turn give more depth effect revealing shapes better. It's absurd really, just try it and stop gawking at the pics. You may end up liking it better. If not I can only say you are one of the many whom are conditioned to and therefore to some degree confused by lower texture levels.

To those whom are unfamiliar with this mod and so as to not confuse anyone reading some of the above comments, this mod only gives the textures in the game higher resolution. It merely reveals to the naked eye what can't be seen with the default game textures. Such work should be applauded. If your system can handle it, there's no reason not to try it.

Well, you did sound rude. You're saying Shemmy's opinion is wrong because he's gawking at the pics and has probably been conditioned to like low res textures.

I agree with him. The 'new' Alex looks fake. And she looks like a ho-bag. And that's not right or wrong.

Also, higher res textures do not more accurately show light and shadow detail. Bump-mapping, parallax mapping, higher polygon models and the like improve light and shadow detail. Higher res textures only sharpen the skin of the model they are applied to.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2008, 00:09 

By gawking at the pics I meant you can't get as good an idea what it's going to look like looking at stills vs seeing it in motion with light and shadow effect. Higher res textures do reveal the light and shadow detail better as they enhance the areas they fall on. Why else would he suddenly be remarking on the size of her boobs? Because it makes the shapes stand out better. It also appears you are conditioned to lower res textures, why else would you prefer them. These are the kind of remarks one hears from those whom don't appreciate good grpahics and the work it takes to make them.

No, I wasn't being rude, the only rude remarks I see here are in your labeling this great piece of work as a sluttey whore show. Just don't use it if you don't like it, but to say it's slutty and plastic is really just ridiculous and there are only a very small percentage of people trying it that say that.

Again, I maintain so as to not confuse those whom haven't tried it, these complaints are a very small percentage of the overall response to this mod, it merely uses higher res textures revealing what can't be seen in the default ones.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2008, 16:00 

Your assumptions are incorrect. My friends think I'm ridiculous because I cannot play anything without AA on. I can see detail that they swear doesn't exist until I show them comparisons of what I see. There hasn't been a game that I own which I haven't downloaded a high res texture pack if it was available. I am a graphics whore and the only reason I haven't downloaded this one is the size, the fact that the modders themselves said not to run it on a 32 bit system and that I don't play HL2 much anymore.

I never said the textures don't look better. I said I don't like what they did with the textures on Alex. And again, I'm entitled to that opinion.

Also, it is programatically impossible for a texture, by itself, to change the way lighting and shadows look on a 3d model. The texture itself can be made in such a way to make the human eye think that, but it cannot effect the actual lighting part of a 3d engine without post processing effects or special overlay textures. What you are seeing with the new Alex's boobs is a darker shade of the color of her skin and clothes painted into her cleavage and on her abdomen to give the appearance of bigger breasts. It is a static change and has no effect on the lighting system.

I have to wonder why the negative opinions of Alex are having such an effect on you. Did you actually make the textures? Or is it that you are just passionate about this because you enjoy it so much?

If it is the former, good for you for contributing. If you think your textures are perfect, then you don't need a defense. If you think they are crap and need more work and are just trying to save face, then you don't have a defense.

If you are just passionate about it, good for you too. I understand where you are coming from and I wish people would be more passionate about the things they love. But your posts are borderline insulting to those of us with a different opinion than you. It is possible to think someone else is wrong and still respect them for it. I ask that you start considering that in your responses.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 05:56 

So, you're either too lazy or lack connection speed to DL it, like using the word whore a lot (thus the sleazy description of Alyx), and claim to be an expert on textures even though you can't plainly see, and to a degree describe yourself, that these textures do enhance the detail, even proportionately. Wow, don't bother DLing then cause you'd likely have an aneurysm looking at it in motion. Did you ever stop to think though that you could easily just delete the Alyx textures in the mod instead of incessantly whining about them not to mention going off on a tirade implying I'm some kind of perv for liking the mod? I think you need to get your priorities straight when reading posts and posting instead of acting like Mr Teflon like insults aren't your thing. Like I said before, the insulting comments are from those implying this mod is a cheap whore show. It's a disgrace to those whom worked hard to make it and know a hell of a lot more than you about it.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 16:57 

Wow.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 17:14 

Wow.

Quoted for emphasis.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 17:47 
Editors
Editors

This has ballooned way past the original issue that it blew up from - which was, for the record, personal taste when it comes to the alterations made to Alyx in the Cinematic Mod - and is hereby ended.