Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 04:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 03:04 

3 yr warranty, it only covers RRoD failures and there is likely a way they can tell if you've actually had one. The standard warranty is only 1 yr.

A friend of mine sent his xbox in for some reason, said it was RRoD even though it wasnt, they fixed it right up for free and he was well past his 1yr warrenty.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 03:19 

--- MAJOR DETERMINING FACTOR BELOW -----

Here's a better example, Say I buy the top 9 games, and I download patches/mapacks for them ... will that fill that 20GB HDD b/c buying the Elite only allows me to buy 2 games with it.
No, but thing are increasing in size. Each arcade is 150mb (now increasing to 250mb), demos are .5mb to 1gig, and mappacks are usually .25gb or greater.

So you won't run out of space immediately, but you'll regret it when you have to fork over 100+ for one later.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 03:32 

I assume I need a gold membership to play online, How many months if any @ all does the Elite come with ?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 03:46 

A friend of mine sent his xbox in for some reason, said it was RRoD even though it wasnt, they fixed it right up for free and he was well past his 1yr warrenty.
Are you implying he never had RRoD, not even once? I wouldn't count on getting a fix that isn't actually included in the terms of service. The units might be made in such a way that a RRoD occurance is logged somehow. Anyways, it's clear that the quality control on the 360 is not as good as the PS3. They only have more titles, it's the only thing going for the 360 IMO. Many of those titles are sports games though, so if you're not into those you really aren't getting a better selection.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 03:49 

[quote]A friend of mine sent his xbox in for some reason, said it was RRoD even though it wasnt, they fixed it right up for free and he was well past his 1yr warrenty.
Are you implying he never had RRoD, not even once? I wouldn't count on getting a fix that isn't actually included in the terms of service. The units might be made in such a way that a RRoD occurance is logged somehow. Anyways, it's clear that the quality control on the 360 is not as good as the PS3. They only have more titles, it's the only thing going for the 360 IMO. Many of those titles are sports games though, so if you're not into those you really aren't getting a better selection.

Hes never had a RROD, the problem was something with his CD drive, and they replaced the drive. They upgraded his heatsink too

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 04:37 

Hes never had a RROD, the problem was something with his CD drive, and they replaced the drive. They upgraded his heatsink too
You probably mean the DVD drive? They had lots of problems with older ones scratching discs and even got into a law suit over it, so naturally they're going to fix that. I maintain, this one story does not indicate they are in the habit of always covering breakdowns after the 1 yr warranty is up, unless it's RRoD wiithin 3 yrs time or in this case it appears an older DVD drive. The mechanism that holds the disc in place on those were faulty and prone to lots of noise. They put a new quiet type in Feb of '07.

There are lots of things that can fail on a 360, the PSUs aren't very good either.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 04:55 

[quote]Hes never had a RROD, the problem was something with his CD drive, and they replaced the drive. They upgraded his heatsink too
You probably mean the DVD drive? They had lots of problems with older ones scratching discs and even got into a law suit over it, so naturally they're going to fix that. I maintain, this one story does not indicate they are in the habit of always covering breakdowns after the 1 yr warranty is up, unless it's RRoD wiithin 3 yrs time or in this case it appears an older DVD drive. The mechanism that holds the disc in place on those were faulty and prone to lots of noise. They put a new quiet type in Feb of '07.

There are lots of things that can fail on a 360, the PSUs aren't very good either.

Yes DVD drive of course, Im still old fashion and call all Optical Media CD's.

I believe It got jammed or wouldn't read disks or something like that. He had a samsung and they replaced it with a BenQ. The only reason they did it free was that he said it had RRoD, Its a new 'scam' going around. Others have had good luck with it too. Basically all you have to say is that you have RRoD, and you extend your warrenty to 3 years.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 05:19 

I assume I need a gold membership to play online, How many months if any @ all does the Elite come with ?
Each console, no matter which, comes with 3 "one month free trial" subscriptions to Xbox Live. They cannot be applied to an existing account, however. (So you only get one month free, unless you choose to give up on your achievements, online information and game saves :()

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 05:29 

I believe It got jammed or wouldn't read disks or something like that. He had a samsung and they replaced it with a BenQ. The only reason they did it free was that he said it had RRoD, Its a new 'scam' going around. Others have had good luck with it too. Basically all you have to say is that you have RRoD, and you extend your warrenty to 3 years.
Yes, that's the new quiet drive I was talking about. It's a BenQ/Lite-On/Philips collaboration.

On the RRoD, if it's that easy to scam them they certainly must be making way too much on those things. It does prove my point of the warranty only being extended beyond 1 yr if it's RRoD though, unless you lie your butt off of course. LOL

If they eventually go to a hardware failure logging sytem via the OS or a separate memory chip, these consumer scams will become a thing of the past. To do that however they'll have to build them solid in the first place.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 06:11 

Well snap, Paypal says the transfer to my bank account completed 40 mins ago, the money isn't showing up in my account yet so I'm assuming it just hasn't updated yet. So that means When I get up in 8 hours it's SHOPPING TIME.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next