Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 16:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2008, 23:32 

OK, I consider myself a pretty advanced user and my VooDoo ARIA custom HTPC kicks ass. However, I started installing games and while most run fine, several that I've recently installed run fine, but there is sound and no picture.

On my Toshiba REGZA 46" HDTV (1080p - brand new as of Dec '07), I have a standard (DB9?) VGA Input. My PC has an NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT with two DVI outputs. So I have a converter in place to connect to the VGA input on the LCD. As a PC monitor - it is great. For most games - it is great. The particular game in question is Thrillville: Off the Rails (Vista Ultimate 32). It launches and I hear all the sounds, but there is no picture on the set. It just says Unsupported Video Signal.

When using the PC, I have it set at 1024x768. If I set it higher, I get the same unsupported video signal error on my TV. Note: On the TV itself, the "screen stretch" (I have no idea of the technical term for it) is set to FULL. The only other choice I have is NATURAL (when watching TV, however, I get other choices such as "Theaterwide 1", Theaterwide 2" etc.). I'm guessing from the fact that I'm running 1024x768 and "natural" produces a 4:3 ratio, that the signal coming in is just being "stretched" when I select "full." However, it lookes PERFECT (no distortion) so the TV is doing something right.

I looked through the posts on your site about Thrillville and everyone seems to be trying to fine tune or perfect certain issues, but I can't really do anything since I can't see anything when I launch the game!

I was hoping to find some simple solution like a .cfg or .ini file that would let me run the game at 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz. This seems to be the resolution that works best on my TV. Like I said, it wont go any higher.

Can ANYONE help me get this figured out? I spent big bucks on this whole HTPC/Entertainment Center package and I just want to play som PC games from the comfort of my couch! Any help, education or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Domenick

P.S. I am new to this arena so be kind - are there video cards out there that would allow a direct HDMI connection to my TV? Would this even help my cause at all or is it the games themselves?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 06:48 

I would guess that the TV only supports certain resolutions via the VGA.

As for HDMI, a DVI->HDMI cable allows you to use HDMI from a PC to a television.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 14:06 

All due respect, but I clearly stated that in my query. The resolution needed is 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. How do I make this "certified" game work on my widescreen TV?

-Dom

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 15:01 
Editors
Editors

So if that res works fine for Windows and for other games, it would indicate that that game is asking for something other than 1024x768x60Hz... is there a cfg file somewhere that allows you to force refresh rate?

Failing that, a DVI->HDMI cable might give you better results. But then, it might not.

Post subject: Re: ?
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2008, 16:35 

All due respect, but I clearly stated that in my query. The resolution needed is 1024x768 @ 60 Hz. How do I make this "certified" game work on my widescreen TV?

-Dom
I'm sorry, my apologies.

If you have a CRT I would suggest fooling around with that instead of the TV to figure out a solution, as that would be more forgiving and allow you to adjust things out of the TV's range.