Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 12:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Sound Card
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:02 
Editors
Editors

This is not the "Creative or not Creative" thread, so it'd be more interesting to know why you favor a 'spartan' card over your mobo's sound chip ;)

Just the word "integrated" when applied to 'audio' or 'graphics' leaves a bad taste in the mouths of most enthusiasts. ;) That's probably why. ;)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:35 

It made quite a different on my system. I have been running without a soundcard on my current home and office system. The onboard sound was pretty good with my Z680 so I really wasn't looking for a sound card until I got Mass Effect. It just will not do 5.1 properly with the onboard sound despite updating driver and tweaking with the ini files. I went and got a X-Fi Xtreme PCIe and I was surprised that the difference is quite noticeable. It's just a richer and deeper sound from every speaker. Well worth the $46 I spent.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 00:26 
Editors
Editors

That's just the kind of feedback Soduka was asking for in the first place I think :)

@Paradigm Shifter : as an enthusiast myself I'm very pleased to see PhysX hardware support getting integrated on most GeForce cards ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 01:03 

My headset is USB and no card has USB slots, I am to suppose it doesn't matter?

Should not be a problem. I have a set of this:

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cyborg5v2.htm

and their driver only load when I plug them in and unload when I unplug.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 03:40 

scavvenjahh

Actually that phrase meant I prefer the callisto over my pci x-fi. Wasn't refering to onboard at all.

If I were to compare the callisto to onboard (say the typical realtek ac'97) I'd say they're roughly on par, save the callisto is a bit more flexible

For example, 1 jack for either analog 3.5mm or mini spdif optical out. It also has true 5.1 optical audio, unlike creative's 2.1 pcm optical out, can't say how onboard's spdif support is, I've never had one with it.

The x-fi has bloated drivers, is unreliable and downright unusable in vista. Right now, it's audio crackling everywhere, and creative won't even acknowledge the issue is theirs either all or at least in part.

bottom line is, any of onboard, inexpensive or ultra expensive sound card will do the job.

The pros and cons:

onboard:
- cheap, aka, free
- so-so sound, mainly has issues with fumbling all sound together, losing positionnal audio aka hear gun from one end of the battlefield to the other just like being there all the time.
- so generalised and generic the drivers tend to be for the most part trouble free

callisto:
- inexpensive, and a rank above most onboard
- usb, no internal slot needed
- sounds great
- supports most useful special 'game gimmicks'
- covers all bases, both analog and optical/digital out

x-fi:
- from reasonable to ultra expensive depending on model, can't really claim a good value since the lower members cheap out on quality and replace hardware with software while the higher ranks cost a bundle and don't add much
- does support all game gimmicks, they started most of em
- bloated, unstable, buggy drivers, especially nasty under vista
- poor support, has users pay to recover previously available features on hardware already paid for. ex: alchemy, now free, used to be pay to get.
- not necessarly worth the extra hassle, more expensive and unreliable than either other choices, and not giving much in return.

I am not making this a creative vs everything argument, but fact is, the sound card segment has already been divided as such. Creative on one side, and everyone else on the other. They won't share much of their tech which tends to maintain such a situation.

In the end pick the one you need/can budget from, any of em will do the work asked from them.

as for usb headsets, just plug it in, don't worry about adapters, just do as it's supposed to be used.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 03:58 

very true. That card hasn't been made for a while. M-Audio makes a good effort if EMU is too rich for your taste...

USB headphones have the DAC and amp inside the headphone itself. its a great (cheap) way to get ride of distortion on the speakers themselves. But is also not as high quality as other headphones.

Take what I say with a grain of salt...not everyone (like me) has owned $300 headphones with DAC's, and headphone Amps.
After some more searching and review browsing, I'm seriously considering something like this...

Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi

...with this Op Amp upgrade...

Burr-Brown OPA2107

..in my next build.

With caps like that and clean SNR the bass and mids have to be incredible, esp with the Burr-Browns.

It looks like this is one of the remaining best choices in a Envy24 chip card available in the states. The Op Amps are available elsewhere, it's merely an easy way to show what they look like and how inexpensively high grade ones can be had.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 04:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Just so long as the first thing you do with your new soundcard after you set it up is play Ghost Love Score by Nightwish. :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 04:43 

Yeah Nightwish is a great band and has an original sound. I was first told about them by a German guy whom gave me video editing advice back when I was first learning the ropes on the old DreamCatcher Painkiller forum. It's been a while since I've checked for new stuff from them but their popularity seems to be growing still.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 09:30 
Editors
Editors

Nah, what you need is the 5.1 version of Opeth's Ghost Reveries :P

Mesh, one thing you may have overlooked is that the so-called 'X-Fi' Xtreme Audio PCI-E card is actually no more than a revamped Audigy in disguise. It was Creative's first effort at PCI-E, mainly aimed at OEM, it has crappy drivers and none of the features of the real X-Fi DSP. Damn Creative for their deceiptive model names :evil:

The new X-Fi Titanium is true X-Fi stuff on PCI-E, and well, "it just works" :)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 10:45 
Editors
Editors

Yeah Nightwish is a great band and has an original sound. I was first told about them by a German guy whom gave me video editing advice back when I was first learning the ropes on the old DreamCatcher Painkiller forum. It's been a while since I've checked for new stuff from them but their popularity seems to be growing still.

Last I heard they'd kind of imploded, which is a real shame. :( They were good - orchestral rock, sort of thing.

One of the things I use to test out a new soundcard/speakers is Metallica's S&M concert (5.1 on DVD). Metallica, backed by an orchestra. 8) That and the ending theme from the FF8 OST. The orchestration there is really good. :D Barbers' Adagio for strings is also useful, as is 'The Montagues and the Capulets" from Prokofiev's 'Romeo and Juliet'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next