Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 22:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 20:16 

I'm slowly acquiring more racing games and am tired of playing them on KB. I have an Xbox Duke controller, USB adapter and XBCD I can use but I have a hard time with gamepads. Most people say the Momos have good response so I'm thinking of trying one. I found a place online where I can get one under $70 with shipping included.

What makes me apprehensive is all the talk I've read about the pedals crapping out due to slop in them, the potentiometers coming loose, and gas or brake activating when the opposite pedal is used. Some speculate the latter is due to the pots coming loose as they're not held in place very well.

In some of the threads about make shift fixes I've found for these problems I read that Logitech replaces them with refurbished models. It appears sometimes they send a better pedal set with metal vs plastic pots that have a better retaining system for the pots. I don't necessarily want to use FF though (unless a very light setting) so I'm not sure the lack of ball bearing freewheel feel like the old Momos had would bother me. As far as I know the old red Momo with metal pedals cost a lot more anyway.

So this brings me to my questions.

1) Does the Momo have fast response with no lag?

2) Is the cheap plastic/rubber Momo they make now worth buying for the casual racer or is the pedal problem not worth it?

3) Some say the right size O ring, one wrap of electrical tape around the pedal shafts, and something like putty to hold the pot in place is all it takes to keep the pedals working, is this true?

4) Do the Momos made now have metal vs plastic pots with a better retaining system?

I only have a few NFS titles, DiRT and GRID for racing games. I play a lot of shooters and a few action/adventure titles. Thus the wheel/pedal set wouldn't be used heavily like racing enthusiasts would use one. I'd appreciate any and all input from anyone whom has used this wheel/pedal set.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 20:47 

Are you open to me suggesting the 360 Wheel? For $100 its a great wheel IMO.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 22:21 

Are you open to me suggesting the 360 Wheel? For $100 its a great wheel IMO.

The 360 wheel is a solid little thing and works well. However, if you're going to spend money on a wheel, why go with something you know is going to have one problem or another. Invest in something that's going to feel good and last. I was looking at the Logitech G25, might be worth looking into yourself.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 23:26 

I have here a logitech 880 harmony remote, 2 wireless ps2 controllers and a 'pro' wheel.

the above all have 2 things in common:

- they all sport the logitech brand
- they all are flimsy, defective products

I'm never buying logitech again, they make nice stuff idea-wise, just not high quality build wise.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:07 

I've heard people say they like the 360 MC2 wheel made by Mad Catz. The thing is though I've asked before on NFS forums which wheel has the best response with no lag and most say get the Momo. Of course I was asking about PC specific wheels though. I bought a Saitek RD440 and it had lots of lag so I returned it at a shipping loss. thus I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a wheel with no over the counter refund option.

I really like what some are saying about the MC2 wheel set though, most say it has very fast response. IGN puts it this way, "The wheel is great: tight and accurate with a negligible dead zone". That pretty much describes my top priority in the wheel, but what about the pedals? Guess I'll have to read some more reviews.

I'm not sure how well the 360 wheel would work with PC games or how well it would hold up. Some I've talked to say Mad Catz stuff in general isn't very tough. I'd love to have a nice wheel like the G25, but I can't really justify $300 for a controller for games that aren't the bulk of what I play.

I know some of Logitech's stuff is crap, but I'm not willing to pass all their stuff off as bad. My MX500 has lasted nearly 4 yrs through lots of gaming and I only paid $26 for it (OEM) 45 months ago. I have to say though after reading about and seeing pics of the way the Momo pedals are designed, they don't look like something that belong with a good wheel if the Momo wheel really is that good.

DaFox, there was an MC2 made called the Universal model, but it's only cross console platform, not including PC. This is what I've found so far for reviews on it along with this excerpt stating that fact:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/madcatz%20review/

"Of course, a few things could have been made better like the wheel and pedal’s grip, or the fact that it won’t work with a PC"

Then there's this excerpt from a CNET review on the 360 model: "...while the wheel connects via USB, it's not PC compatible."

I also found this customer review though whom says he only uses it for the PC: "The only negative I would have is that you can't use the vibration feature on the PC. So far I have tried this wheel on 4 games on the PC. Need for Speed Most Wanted (does not see the wheel). CRC 2005 great, Pro Race Driver great, even Master Ralleye (as old as it is, worked fine too). I don't own a Xbox 360, so I have nothing to say about that. I bought it to see if it would work on a PC. It was a cheaper route than a $100 Logitech Momo. And it works well with most PC games."

He also said it uses the 360 gamepad driver, and there's an Xbox 360 gamepad for Windows now. So, with the latest Xbox 360 gamepad for Windows driver, do you think this would work well on PC? I'm not liking that it doesn't work with NFS MW.

I went to the Mad Catz site and they don't show a wheel that works with PC.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:45 

I would never buy a Mad Catz product. Im talking solely about the white Official 360 wheel. I use it exclusively with the PC since so many games are ports now its probably the best supported wheel in most major racing titles like GRiD for example. I do recall not being able to get it to work with NFS:Carbon or Pro Street though. That may be a deal breaker for you if your a big fan of either of those.

As for the G25, My friend actually found his online here in canada for $140. At that price its probably worth it to step up to it if you play more than 7 hours or so of racing a week.

I should also warn you. With owning a wheel comes the hassle. I play racing games less now that I own a wheel just because its a chore to set the wheel up every time I want to play for half an hour.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 02:56 

Yeah I didn't notice you said $100. I have done some checking on the MS wheel you're referring to though. Odd that you say it doesn't work for Carbon, yet note the games they show in the lower right of the page for that wheel on the Xbox.com site: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessracingwheel/ Could it be you are missing a patch to Carbon that makes it compatible with this wheel?

According to them it has support for Carbon as well as DiRT and GRID. Well that covers the last 3 racing games I bought anyway. Ive read that they don't work for NFS MW and I assume that means they won't work for NFS U2 either. The thing is though, often times when someone says a controller won't work for a certain game they're talking about the Force Feedback, which isn't a necessity for me.

Can you tell me if this wheel can be used non wireless? I've read they came out with a non wireless retrofit after some of them had issues running too hot. Older pics I've seen show the wheel with 2 cables and some show it with 3 cables. I'm assuming from the way some of the GameStop employees described the package contents they now include an AC adapter. One review site even said you can use it as both a non wireless option and charge the batteries while playing.

I'd also like to know how tweakable it is. Once you plug in the wireless receiver to your PC, do you get calibration options like sensitivity and deadzone percentage? I've read it's pretty fast in response, but some say twitchy. From what I've read/heard so far I'm not sure if twitchy means little to no dead zone or overly sensitive force feedback when hitting curbs and such, which is how one person seemed to describe it.

So far I've found the wireless gaming receiver you need to go with it for $8 and the wheel itself for around $84. I'm definitely considering this one. Most say it's built pretty rugged.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 09:20 

Whoever said Logitech stuff is shit, their low end stuff is cheap plastic. The G25 is high end $300USD+ mostly metal. 900 degrees of turning, 6 speed gearshift with English Reverse (press the stick down and shift into 1st), and the pedals are metal too with clutch. Carbon supports it fully, so does Most Wanted, and it's such high quality, why do you think i've wanted one for almost 2 years now? (I've always found other stuff to spend my money on, trip earlier this year, then a new 360... bills... etc.)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 11:55 

@Frag Maniac

Hmm It could have very well been NFS:MW that did not work. It was quite a long time ago when I first picked up my wheel.

I have no clue if theres a non wireless version. I don't believe so buy I could be wrong. What you could be seeing is the wireless Adapters wire+ the wire that connects the pedals to the wheel (shame that its not wireless as well) and the power for the force feedback (Can also use 2xAA batteries but you dont receive the feedback)

Its not all that tweakable in windows. At best you get either sensitivity or deadzone options. I truly forget though I always set it up in game which works fine. GRiD for example theres settings for EVERYTHING from sensitivity to force feedback.

Its build decently, Probably slightly more durable than the MOMO, Obviously its no G25 though as Cynagen said. Something I should note is that of course with the 360 wheel you have stick shift if your in to that, Only Paddle shifters And theres no clutch either.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 13:34 

1) Does the Momo have fast response with no lag?

What do you mean "with no lag"? The response depends on how you set a wheel (eg. steering linearity, deadzone) and the game options.

2) Is the cheap plastic/rubber Momo they make now worth buying for the casual racer or is the pedal problem not worth it?
3) Some say the right size O ring, one wrap of electrical tape around the pedal shafts, and something like putty to hold the pot in place is all it takes to keep the pedals working, is this true?
4) Do the Momos made now have metal vs plastic pots with a better retaining system?

I only have a few NFS titles, DiRT and GRID for racing games. I play a lot of shooters and a few action/adventure titles. Thus the wheel/pedal set wouldn't be used heavily like racing enthusiasts would use one. I'd appreciate any and all input from anyone whom has used this wheel/pedal set.

There's a couple of wheels you can buy:
- Momo Force (the red one) - metal paddles/shifters, metal pots, no clutch, 270 degrees, metal bearing, split-axis,
- Driving Force Pro - no clutch, 900 degrees, plastic paddles, sequence shifter, digital pedals (I don't know how to describe this, they work like "analog buttons" in dualshock2), metal bearing, split-axis,
- G25 - 900 degrees, clutch, metal paddles, H-shifter, metal bearing, split-axis - it's the best Logitech wheel today.
Or you can buy a new Logitech Driving Force GT (I din't tested it yet but you can watch a good review below)
http://insidesimracing.tv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=125&Itemid=184

...and don't buy Logitech Momo Racing.

btw sorry for my english ;)