Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 04:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 18:23 

I'll buy at the end of the year (or before) a set of speakers 2.1 to my room, as it'isnt very big and live in apartment i decided to opt for 2.1 system(Klipsch, Creative, Altec Lansing, Edifier, Logitech etc).
I imagine that the best package on the market today is the Razer Mako, but it is very expensive (around U$ $ 300). I ask for you guys to indication of 2 to 3 alternatives for a good set for games, watching movies on TV(DVDs :lol: or movies in PC) , listening to music, etc. I do not look one that only provides a good volume, because as said previously i live in apartment, but a optimal distribution of sounds and the quality of them(with a good bass for movies :D ), without noise.

Thank you for your attention and waiting replies :roll:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 21:15 

I have Cyber Acoustics 2.1 in my bedroom and 5.1 in my Command Center.

I am happy with them and the performance. And they were extremely cheap.

I have no preference when it comes to audio equipment and my experience in that area is limited.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 23:19 

They aren't 2.1, but some here have the Creative Gigaworks T20 2.0 set that go for around $100 (MSRP) and really like them. Keep in mind that the bass frequencies aren't directional and many 2.1 sets have midrange drivers that don't go very deep. With many 2.1 sets you wind up with a sub that has boomy, unrealistic bass and mids that can't play low enough to give you a seamless frequency range.

Many manufacturers have made 2.0 sets that play better than their equivalent price range 2.1 sets do. At the very least test the theory by going into a store that might have some on display and hear for yourself (if you have that option) how a set like the T20 compares to a 2.1 set in a similar price range.

Given the design of the mid and tweeter drivers on the T20s, I don't doubt they sound a bit better than the satellites on my $300+ Gigaworks 5.1 set. Though I must admit, in movies and games my 8" sub that gets 300 watts RMS pumped into it from the set's amp is something to cherish.

Bottom line, shopping for 2.1 sets is a different ball game. It actually makes sense in the price range that the sets with GOOD 2.1 subs cost to consider a 2.0 set instead. You also need consider, and I can't stress this enough, what size room you'll be playing them in and what wattage the sub has and how low in distortion the amp is.

It's easy to over stress the sub and/or amp of an inexpensive 2.1 set, especially if they're played loudly without carefully selecting low pass crossover settings (if you have that option) in movies and games that have lots of explosions and deep bass and you're not in a fairly small room with closed doors/windows.

With their tuned bass port design, the T20 set has an impressive 40Hz to 20kHz frequency response, but only 14 watts per speaker. Thus they're likely built more for desktop distance sound quality than living room filling volume. The only thing I don't like about the T20s is their analog (dial) volume controls, which wear out faster than digital button type controls.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 23:22 

Currently have a Logitech Z4 set. Not too expensive, a good set :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 05:41 

Yup, Z4's for the win. The Z4i is the white version if you like that better. I have Z-2300s but the sub is probably a little big, so the Z4's a good choice for form factor aesthetics.

I really, really like Altec Lansing expressionist CLASSIC's too.
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=expressionist_classic

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 18:04 

Thanks for the replies. One person also indicated the Z-2300, maxxfurygts could say it was a good product? has much difference between the Z-2300 and the Z-4?

Frag Maniac, the Creative Gigaworks T20 have a good bass? I wanted one 2.1 for my bedroom because the subwoofer, i really like a good bass ^^''

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 19:45 
Editors
Editors

Frag Maniac, the Creative Gigaworks T20 have a good bass?

I own two sets of the T20, and one set of the T40's. T20's are better - size isn't everything. ;) For the fact that there is no sub, the T20's are worth every penny.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 22:28 

well...basically i doubt between the models of logitech(Z-2300 or Z-4), creative(I-Trique 3000, I-Trigue 3330 or T3100) and edifier(E3350 or S330D)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2008, 23:34 

The thing what you can do now, is visit a store and listen it for you self :wink:

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008, 02:03 

Frag Maniac, the Creative Gigaworks T20 have a good bass? I wanted one 2.1 for my bedroom because the subwoofer, i really like a good bass ^^''
Here's the thing with deep bass frequencies, they are NOT directional and therefore bass speakers or speakers that produce deep bass via tuned bass ports do not have to be "aimed" like midrange and high frequency speakers do. The only possible trade off will be whether you can manage to place the T20s near or in corners, which is not usually an option with desktop speakers. Though deep bass is not directional, it DOES benefit from corner positioning.

You may be skeptical about the T20's claim of 40Hz bass, but consider this. Bose for years has been producing small speakers and tuned bass ports that mimic the sound of a full sized subwoofer. As I said earlier though, you will not likely get living room filling volume for movie and game explosions a dedicated sub would provide, but then again many 2.1 sets in the T20's price range wouldn't either, or at the very least wear out quickly if you try to get that from them.