Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 14:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reccomend me a Router
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 04:00 

My trusty WRT54GS is kicking the bucket after close to 6 years, (wifi speeds are like 1/20th of wired speeds at times).

Features I want
N
USB for Printer/ExternalHDD/Etc
<~100USD (eg, 110 or so could be fine, not 150)

Maybes-
Dual Band (must be simultaneous 2.4ghz and 5ghz)
Gigabit

Gigabit isn't absolutely necessary as I am the only one with gigabit and I use wireless but it would be nice for future, dual band I have seen that it doesn't perform as well as just a basic 2.4ghz router

So far I am thinking D-Link DIR655 as the Linksys ones with USB ports and such seem rather expensive and the DIR655 has a very thorough admin panel.

Is dual band really worth it?

Thanks for your suggestions

Packer

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 07:34 
Administrators
Administrators

I have a D-Link DIR655, solid router, never had a problem with it on ether gigabit Ethernet or N band LAN, never used the USB port though.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 08:05 
Insiders
Insiders

^ ya. That.

I tried the Shareport feature, and although it works fine for a printer and external storage dive, you need the Shareport software on any client machine, which is pretty lame., so I don't use it. I also tried the 5ghz "dual band" successor and it was a piece of shit. Though firmware may fix that...

And it's loaded with handy features and has a clean GUI, like most Dlink routers.

I've had terrible luck with Netgear and Linksys, so I cun't say anything good about those.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 23:51 

Yea I know the dlink requires shareport, it is just an option so the computer that is currently hosting the printer doesn't have to be on.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 22:18 

DIR655 Ordered.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 04:30 

Well it is shipped and should get here thursday so I will get back to you all then with the hopefully excellent performance of a new router.

Will be nice to have a stable internet connection that doesn't fluctuate from good to crap.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 07:30 
Administrators
Administrators

Well it is shipped and should get here thursday so I will get back to you all then with the hopefully excellent performance of a new router.

Will be nice to have a stable internet connection that doesn't fluctuate from good to crap.

You do know the DIR655 doesn't come with an internal modem right? At least mine didn't, maybe they added one.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 20:37 

Yep, I have an external modem.

Wired to my current router the connection is fine to stable. Wireless is suddenly anywhere from 5mbit to like 56k speeds depending on how the router is feeling.