Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 12:59 

Hello,

I'm sure that other noticed really really bad state of SLI scaling support in games, especial newer ones.
Having couple AAA titles released with poor to non SLI support.. that really starts actually to kill triple screen gaming in my opinion.
Talking about SLI and nvidia surround as I'm not sure about CF and eyefinity state right now but probably same thing.

The Witcher 3 and Fallout4 were huge disappointment on SLI support for me, and I saw ton of other complains on other new titles as well.
I gave up hunting for all the hacks to get SLI working with Witcher3 and was so awaiting for fallout4 at least and then... sucks!
There is no way to get proper SLI and 3 monitor support at all.
This trend seems to continue with other games and there are really not many games that you can properly spread on monitors and enjoy full gaming experience.

So even with really a mosnter PC taht I work on but happens to be at least should be good for gaming as well
5930x on asus rampage v extreme, 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM, samsung pro 850 512GB ssd
4x Titan X and 3x asus PA328q 4k monitors... and honestly there is no a SINGLE game so far i could spread and play.
Alien isolation actually does have nice scaling and on single 4k monitor hitting 200fps easily but when in surround everything is non playable huge frame rate osculations and ofc tearing tearing tearing...

So guys what do you think. are we looking at end of surround gaming as honestly I cant see games being pushed to playable smooth speeds without good SLI support at all.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 14:14 
Editors
Editors

The Witcher 3 and Fallout4 are the worst examples to pick.
They both use their own home developed engine.
Cdproject Red just doesn't care enough about SLI/CF to sit together with AMD/nvidia and try to fix it.
The creation engine in Fallout 4 is a modified version from skyrim which was also used in FO3.
While it has great support for Moding and allows huge world's it is pretty old and even FPS bound.
We all knew how horrible Skyrim was for CF, stuttering.
Seeing that F4 only supports 16:9 and 16:10 interfaces and that Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 both have way more sales on the Ps4/Xbox One they are great games but not for Computers.

Other Engines like CryEngine natively support multiple Monitors and also CF/SLI, even the Unreal Engine which is Vert- can by an easy .ini edit be corrected and often the Ui gets fixed too.

Other games that use a self-made engine even support Eyefinity. Simply a matter of how important this feature is for the developer.

For SLI/CF with Dx12 and Vulcan coming the implementation should get easier, so all "new" engines have a bigger chance of working CF/SLI support.

But still, SLI/CF users are a minority. I'd say about 3-5% of all PC gamers at maximum. So why waste Money on a feature rarely nobody uses?