Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2015, 05:55 

Hey guys,

I've been researching this for a while now and I just can't seem to get a clear answer on my own. I was hoping someone here would have the experience to help me out.

I have a Dell U3415W 3440x1440 60Hz monitor running off an XFX R9 290X 4GB card. The inputs/outputs I have to work with are:

GPU outputs: HMDI 1.4a, DP 1.2
Monitor inputs: HDMI 2.0, DP 1.2, mDP 1.2

I have my computer set up in a way that there is about a 15ft cable length requirement to go between the GPU and the monitor.

Initially, I bought a 15ft mDP to DP cable from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7R ... detailpage) When I used it, the monitor would go black for a second every once in a while. I did some searching and found information about DP cable lengths being restricted to about 10ft. I have assumed since then that the monitor blackouts were due to the long length of the cable.

Since running into the DP issue, I've been using a Monoprice Redmere slim HDMI cable. From what I understand, despite the monitor having HDMI 2.0, it would operate at 1.4a levels due to the GPU's output format.

My goal is to get the most out of this system/display as possible.

What I would like to know:
1) is using an HDMI cable throttling performance?
2) is the information I have about the DP cables being restricted in length correct? Could a 15ft cable cause the blackouts I was experiencing?
3) if the HDMI cable is indeed bottlenecking performance, are there any alternatives that would work with the 15ft cable length requirement I have?

Thanks so much for any help in advance!

Last edited by ng4330 on 19 Dec 2015, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 05:31 

OK so I believe I answered my first question:

From Anandtech's review of the LG34UM95 which has the same res and refresh as my monitor:

"For traditional video cards the display includes a DisplayPort input and two HDMI ports. The HDMI ports are still revision 1.4a so they cannot support 60Hz refresh rates at the monitor's native resolution, but DisplayPort will run at 3440x1440 at 60Hz without any issues, including audio support."
(http://www.anandtech.com/show/8057/lg-3 ... tor-review)

Thats assuming that my GPU's HDMI 1.4a overrides my monitor's HDMI 2.0.

That leaves me with my last 2 questions:
-Were the blackouts likely caused by the 15ft Displayport cable?
-Is there any way to get a full 60Hz refresh with the 15ft cable requirement?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 06:35 

I started searching for information addressing my issue but with 4k displays. A solution for a 4k display would work just as well for my UW 1440 display. Retrospectively, I should have done this all along as there is so much more information for 4k resolution issues than Ultrawide. That being said, I have now answered all of my own questions and feel a bit stupid for starting this thread. Regardless, in case someone with a similar issue comes across this thread, I found this soon-to-be or just-recently released product which looks to be the answer:

Club-3D DP 1.2 or mDP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter - 4k@60hz
http://www.club-3d.com/insights/thread/ ... -launched/

You can buy it on Amazon for $28.99 (though currently out of stock):
http://amzn.com/B0194F1MY4

I can plug the adapter into the DP 1.2 output on my GPU and the adapter will convert the signal to HDMI 2.0. I can then connect the adapter to my monitor's HDMI 2.0 input using a 15ft HDMI cable. This setup (assuming the adapter works as advertised) will deliver 3440x1440 resolution at the full 60Hz refresh.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 16:26 
Editors
Editors

So theoretical you've solved your problem.
Hope it works as well in reality.