Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 22:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 144  Next
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 19:05 
Editors
Editors

Me too ^^ thats a real one, I have others I use to cut/train but that one was hand made out of hundreds of layers of folded and hammerd steel with very peticular minerals/elements to give the blade the right hardness and flexibility.

Its my closest posesion.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 19:17 
Editors
Editors

OMG, if that's true that thing must be worth thousands of dollars. :shock:
I saw a shop on tv some time ago where they sold katanas and the best pieces where around 30k :o

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 20:27 
Editors
Editors

Yep hand made, real rayskin, traditional knot, full tang. Its not a "masters" piece aka made by one of the few remaining acclaimed blade smiths in japan but its made by an apprentice smith. Prob worth about 8,000.

If you look close next to the desk you see my cheapy 50$ highlander sword, the handle is broke in half ^^ thats why you dont practice with "wall hangers"

You can get a cheap battle ready katana for like 80$ tho, just just fugly looks like a big steak knife. A real katana good enough for iaido and cutting is about 800$~

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 09:00 

I have also 8 swords in my bedroom, some are replica of a movie (like sting of The lord of the Rings). And i must say sweet katanas ViciousXUSMC :D

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 09:40 
Editors
Editors

What I need to get is a boken, and a new kendo sword (the bamboo ones) I used to teach friends kendo with those and we would beat the living crap out of eachother.

Id use the kendo to practice defense and getting used to seeing/dodging attacks. For power/speed I made my own training method ^^ A giaint steel pole we had in our backyard from an old fense. Id do kata with it and diffrent swings and the sheer weight/size/inertia of it gave me super great katana wielding skills when I went to use my actual blade.

A real katana is very light most of the time tho, people think they are heavy because they are used to the fake ones they see in stores made out of stainless steel usually.

I was obsessed with training as a kid, every bottle we would empty became a target for cutting before it became trash. I remember this one time (with my cheapo highlander sword no less) I cut a 2 liter bottle full of water in half so perfectly I thought I missed it because it sat there for a good 5 seconds before it collapesed on itself. I didnt even know that was possible since it had fluid in it.

A cheap cutting target is rolled up newspaper thats wet. cutting targets are too expensive so the paper is nearly the same consisitancy and not too harsh on your blade.

Talking about this makes me wanna go back to the old ways/days alas growing up and having kids makes most of my old hobbies impossible.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 11:33 

That's true, but don't you think it's a little harder to do such things now, with all those laws about swords (and importing swords)

I would like to practice with some swords, but currently i can do it because i'm too busy and don't have the room to practice.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 11:42 
Editors
Editors

Hmm im not familar with those laws. They had laws about importing a sharpened blade, but that was taken care of while I was in the military so I had some connections, and since its a real katana it can be broken down into pieces (wich you have to do every once in awhile to oil it)

I know it as considered a deadly weapon when i used to keep it on me, but since it was not concieled and I took martial arts classes I had a pretty valid excuse to have it and no isses (except once.. boy what a story :P)

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2007, 15:05 

Come on Vicious tell us that one incident :)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2007, 00:30 

My dive. With annotations. =]]

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2007, 03:43 
Editors
Editors

My desk had one of those top things, thats where all my clutter went and games. I had to remove it for the westy tho :/ Its just trash now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1437 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 144  Next