Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 17:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 20:46 
Administrators
Administrators

i meant that using a 2xhdmi splitter i'll get cloned displays.

This is not a simple video splitter, it is an MST HUB.

DisplayPort v1.2 is able to drive 4x 1920x1080 out of a single port, however you require an MST HUB to seperate the 4 video channels, which this Zotec 2x HDMI device achieves.

Thus you can essentialy drive 12 monitors using the zotec device off a single AMD E6 gfx card, we are waiting on conformation to see if they work with the AMD 5xxx series card, as I beleive they will only work with the AMD 6xxx and 7xxx series.

I need all 12 displays to display different content

Alternatively if you are not interested in using Eyefinity and Crossfire, then you could also simply use 2x AMD E6 gfx cards which give you 12 independent outputs in total.

Or you could also go down the route of a motherboard with 4x pci-e 16x slots running at 8x electrical and use 4 cheaper amd cards that would give you 3x outputs each.
I built a pc for work that powers 12 screens using an AMD CPU + 4x AMD GPU's, 6450's or something ill have to get the specs, as this worked out cheaper than 8 active adaptors and 2 E6 cards.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 06:48 

hey Timdas, if your looking to display one long extended video, you should look into this software : http://resolume.com/ It will allow you to que up multiple video's, trigger them and manipulate them in real time. (the forums are full of helpful people)

I use it all the time with my Eyefinity 6 card, and you can also extend the display to multiple cards, so doing 12 screens would not be a problem. But your going to need to spend some cash on your rig! this isn't an easy task....

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 07:17 

This is not a simple video splitter, it is an MST HUB.

DisplayPort v1.2 is able to drive 4x 1920x1080 out of a single port, however you require an MST HUB to seperate the 4 video channels, which this Zotec 2x HDMI device achieves.

That sounds really interesting. What about the problem of needing active adaptors when connecting more than two non-DP monitors? Are they required in addition to the zotac devices?

If not, that would be great!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 09:11 
Administrators
Administrators

From what we understand, the zotec device has 2 active adaptors built in :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 10:11 

@stickygreen : thanks for the tip. i already tested resolume.
@Delphium: thanks for the info regarding the hub

I want to tell you guys exactly what i need so maybe you have other ideas:
I already bought the following configuration:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 AM3, 8 GB ram, NOX URANO II 530 PSU and 1xPowerColor 6870 Eyefinity 6
i don't want to use it for gaming but for video playback
I have 5 video projectors side by side , another 2 video projectors side by side (using eyefinty in 1x2 mode) and 4 lcd side by side, mounted in different corners of a showroom.
I want to display video content on these compositions.
One option is to use windows 7's extended displays and play clips using VLC (in wall mode) or use Resolume which can select the desired display to play on.

My options to achieve the desired output configuration will be:
1.2x PowerColor 6870 Eyefinity 6 (and changing also the MB and the PSU)
2.1x PowerColor 6870 Eyefinity 6 + Zotacs Mini DP to 2 HDMI Adapter (but i don't know how windows reacts to this adapter . any idea ? is a driver or software that help me configure the output ?
3. a nice and interesting gadget that works though LAN: i-tec Multimedia Distribution Client but i don't know their feature yet besides the site's info. I've send them an email

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 21:44 
Editors
Editors

2.1x PowerColor 6870 Eyefinity 6 + Zotacs Mini DP to 2 HDMI Adapter (but i don't know how windows reacts to this adapter . any idea ? is a driver or software that help me configure the output ?

I think each Desktop will be recognised as if it were connected with a single HDMI/Dp cable!

3. a nice and interesting gadget that works though LAN: i-tec Multimedia Distribution Client but i don't know their feature yet besides the site's info. I've send them an email

You may easily have slide shows or DVD video in full HD resolution on up to 6 screens.

Wonder what they'll answer in their mail :)

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 08:55 

Sounds like you should be looking into a digital sign player solution.
check out the brand ROKU, and there brightsign series. it's all inter-connectable, and scalable, it will suit your needs, and will work without problems.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2012, 21:07 

@stickygreen : i've search for Roku but i cannot figure how to play extended 5x1 video with that without an expensive system. The digital signage solutions are way over my budget.
@Haldi: i-tec sent me the email but it seems that it works well only on Microsoft Multipoint Server 2010 and that win 7 offers some problems.
i still wait for some answers

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 07:25 

@stickygreen : i've search for Roku but i cannot figure how to play extended 5x1 video with that without an expensive system. The digital signage solutions are way over my budget.

It's going to cost less in the end, trust me, this is what i specialize in. Fixed/permanent and mobile/temporary video instillation, projectors, monitors, TV's, multi-screen, video mapping, edge blending, even full dome content and live playback.

I don't come to this site cause I'm a gamer...

The system that you've spec'd out, isn't very powerful, and could cause you issues in a few ways. It's really hard to understand exactly what you are trying to do, because you haven't explained it in detail. I can tell you, that running 12 monitors at XGA resolution will take a much more powerful system than what you're planning to use.

If you'd like to get into more detail i can help. I will need to know.

total number of images to be shown - how many have to be spanned content, and how many are single displays, can any of them be the same image, like the LCD monitors in the corner of the room?
types of displays - resolution, input connection type.
cable lengths, and type?
your expectation for length of video clips to run, and is this on a loop, or do you want to control it?
your expectation of resolution, codec, file format?
and most importantly, your expected budget?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 16:43 

@stickygreen, i've send you a PM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next