Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 22:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surround Screen Theatre
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2006, 09:03 

Pardon the off-color topic, as it doesn't relate to gaming, but is still near and dear to my heart, after gaming, of course. I did a forum search for "movies" and was surprised to find no hits that deal with the ramifications of stretching movies over two or three screen with the TH2Go. If I understand it correctly, two screens @ 2560 x 1024 would be a 2.5:1 aspect ratio, and three screens @ 3840 x 1024 is a 3.75:1 ratio - a bit stretched for movies.

Furthermore, TrustedReviews.com went as far to say this:

"One issue that did occur to us is that three screens would be no use for watching a movie on – you’d be limited to just the centre screen."

Why won't movies scale, too? Is it not possible? I would greatly appreciate any first-hand experiences from the gurus. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 19:50 

Hello,

You can use all three monitors for the movies too, but if you play the movie in a full-screen mode, then the movie will be stretched.

In addition, all graphics cards have their (unique?) limits for the supported overlay size. It seems that for many cards 3840x1024 is the limit. Previously I had MSI GeForce 6600 card and I didn't have any problems with videos. Then I changed my graphics card to XFX GeForce 7900GT and I immediately noticed problems such as bad image quality in video playback. The solution was to use lower resolution or lower color depth. I decided to use 3840x1024, 16bit instead of 3840x1024, 32bit.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2006, 23:48 

Thanks for the input. I sure hope I don't run into problems with playback with xFx 7950 GTs in SLI. I almost can't wait any longer to grab two more 1280 x 1024 TFTs (mine is a 16ms Viewsonic VP171s), and a Trox Box!