Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 May 2024, 23:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 21:01 

Any ideas of the possible values we can try using ArtMoney to change the correct FOV /or aspect ratio / so the image won't be strectched. Some games seem to be able to auto adjust correctly based on the vertical/horizontal res. Some are fixed at 4:3. What possible values I should look for to change? 04 and 03? integers? how many bytes (1 2 3 4?). Any help is appreciated. Much thanks.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 22:10 

u can try looking for 1.33333333 since 4/3 is 1.333333

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2005, 22:51 

1.3333 is difficult to find since I don't know how many .3333s or the right variable (real number) sign/or unsign the number of bytes, etc. I was hoping someone with games programming knowledge can help. What are the typical methods can be used to assign variables for 4:3 aspect ratio and FOV's=90, 100, etc.. Thanks.

PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 17:40 

I know this topic is super old, but I didn't want to create a new one since the topic opener asks exactly what I wanted to ask.

Recently I was able to fix the resolution and FOV of Silent Hill 4 using a table made in ArtMoney (by user Garnet) that had the FOV data already filtered out, ready to be edited with the desired values. Now I'm trying to find the same FOV data for another game, ObsCure II, but I have no idea how. The guide for ArtMoney that is around the web only teaches you how to find the data for the resolution, not the FOV.
So.... anyone can help?

PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 19:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Well,

1st you need to know how the data is stored in the memory. 1.3333333 is hard to find and that is a "float". Floating numbers are not stored in memory as floats. Data in memory is usually stored in 4bytes (or more, a long theory here) and in hex. So what you to look for is the equivalent of the 1.3333 in hex:)

Hope this helps:)

Best Regards,
Helifax

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Post subject: Artmoney is a little
PostPosted: 09 May 2012, 23:44 
Insiders
Insiders

Artmoney is a little convoluted for the beginner tbh - try cheat engine.

Finding a float/real/single is fairly simple, they are indeed by definition 4 bytes

Just be aware when searching for values that floats are not 100% accurate (by any stretch of the imagination), they are a binary "approximation/respresentation" of the number with a finite bit-length representation, additionally if for example x87 FPU operations have taken place on that number it could potentially result in a different rounding than expected due to a higher internal bit representation on the intermediate value.

Thus you should never rely on 1.3333 actually equalling 1.3333, always drop a point or two of precision when searching for a value - you can search for something higher precision later, if the value is hard coded [aspect ratio normally always is] then you can search the hex representation fairly reliably, but sometimes (not always, occasionally) 1.3334 or 1.7778 or something to that affect may be used and your search would fail when searching for a rigid fixed value, eg. 1.777777 oo

FOV can be somewhat more difficult, it could be radians or degrees, could be derived from a single base value or a set of seperate values, normally you would start with trying to find a way to influence change on the FOV then look for a value that is changing appropriately, after finding the value you can go about investigating what code accesses that value and modifying it appropriately.

Want to keep Flawless Widescreen alive? Donate Here

Post subject: Hi guys, thanks for the
PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 17:59 

Hi guys, thanks for the answers and sorry for my late reply.

So as I understand, I need to look for the hexadecimal value of the aspect ratio, without knowing to what decimal number it has been rounded. Is that correct? So it could be anything like 1.33, 1.333, 1.3333, 1.34, 1.334, 1.3334, and so on, right?

It's too bad nobody wrote some sort of simple tutorial to find the FOV in ArtMoney like they did for the width and height for the resolution, there's a lot of old and not so old games that just need a FOV fix to be properly widescreen.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 01:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Finding the field-of-view is pretty easy usually. Just do a memory scan for an unknown float value—or use a specific range if you know what it might be—and then zoom in and out and re-search for values that changed each time. Eventually you'll narrow it down. From here you'll want to do a pointer scan or find out which part of the game's code writes and modifies it.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 02:07 

To be honest, I realise that I don't have the knowledge to do this, not yet at least. I tried with ArtMoney, but there's just too many things I don't understand about it.

If it is so simple, would you perhaps have the chance to filter out the FOV data for ObsCure II?
Or even better it would be to make a mini tutorial on how to find the FOV data in ArtMoney, like there is one for the resolution. I'm sure a lot of people would be greatful.