Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 23:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 04:18 

I know I'm not breaking new ground w/this post... , and I'm sure most of you are doing this... but... I don't see any of the pics that are getting posted on the net angling the outside monitors at all. Anybody else doing this and liking it?

For instance, what one usually sees a pic of:

Notice the thickness of the monitor borders? (which is expected naturally) However, if you scoot the outside monitors towards you and angle them so that the inside back edge touches, or comes close to, the outside front edge of the middle monitor, you cut down the border problem in half.

Like so:

I set them at about a 45 degree angle from the middle panel. Obviously, user preference would reign here. (aka whatever flips your trigger) It cuts the border thickness in half and gives the side area more of a panaromic type view. To me it seems to make the setup even more surround. I've always ended up concentrating on the middle screen the most anyways, so the side screens help to create more depth while playing to me.

The games then look something like this:

What do you think? I'm not a professional photographer or innovative engineer and this post isn't meant to be a "you must do it this way" post, of course, but hopefully something for you to think about. Maybe try and see if you like it or not. Enjoy it if you do. It's definitely not time consuming to try. It does take up a bit more of your desktop space.

(Although who cares when you're shooting for gaming nirvana right?) :)

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 18:37 

Yeah thats a good way to appraoch that problem.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 19:38 
Founder
Founder

What about putting the center panel in front of the other two?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 03:53 

That's what I have on my setup (Center panel in front of the side ones).
The borders are not a big problem for me because I'm doing mostly racing simulation, so my eyes are focused on the center one and the side monitors gives me peripheral vision of other cars in tight situations.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 07:31 

I think it's going to be one of those "tuh may toe" vs "tuh mah toe" deals, because I moved them around and it looks pretty nice setup that way too.

I took some pics, so everybody can see. :)

Back right side placement:

Game screens: (as close a guesstimate as I could)

]

With center in front, it actually gives you some more desktop space back too. That's kind of nice if you have your keyboard up there. I'm guessing whichever way you swing it doesn't matter. As long as your making yourself happy. ;)

Thanks for the input though guys! :)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 13:41 
Founder
Founder

And, I think the tops of the screens line up better.