Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 04:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 05:03 

Yesterday Image Space Incorporated released the 1.250 patch for rFactor, colloquially know as rFactor 1250. Part of the patch readme states "New MultiView option added for triple-head gaming only. Checking this option will use three viewports with standard FOV instead of one viewport with very wide FOV." This option is labeled "MultiView" in the rFactor config utility, but the actual switch it makes in the config file is called "SubViews".

To enable this option, check the "MultiView" box in the rFactor config utility or open the Config.ini file in your rFactor root directory and change the "SubViews=0" line to "SubViews=2".

What ISI has done is designed a system that automatically takes a triplehead image, splits it into three sections, and gives each section its own field of view. This completely eliminates any image distortion on the side monitors, i.e. they look exactly like the center monitor. The (intended) side effect of this change is that the images on the side monitors can look like they're "angled out" from the center. The reason for this is because ISI has intentionally coded the MultiView option for a 3-monitor viewing system that wraps around the user. The only drawback that I've experienced is that my two side monitors, angled at 45 degrees, don't seem to be angled quite sharply enough to make the image entirely seemless. 45 degrees is already a fairly sharp angle through, requiring some major head-turning on the Windows desktop. My desk is constructed for triple monitors at 45 degree angles, so they can't really be turned any further, but even if they could I don't think I'd want to do it.

The images below are some screenshots using the Grand Prix Classics 1979 Formula One mod, on the starting grid at Watkins Glen, at 3072x768. Click the thumbnails for full-size images.

SubViews=0 (i.e. MultiView is OFF)

Note the distortion of the car on the left. However, also note the straight pit wall on the right.

SubViews=2 (i.e. MultiView is ON)

Note the distortion-free side views, and also the fact that you can see more this way (instead of seeing back to the rear wing of the second car on the left, you can see all the way to the nose cone of the third car on the left). However, immediately apparent are the abrupt "kinks" in the view, as if someone folded the image outward at those points. These kinks are designed to match up with angled side monitors.

Here's a shot to show that the grid really is a straight row of cars:

So how do I like it? I don't know yet. You see, I'm moving next week and all of my computer peripherals have been disconnected, included my wheel. In order to really evaluate this change, one needs to race while using it. I can't do that right now.

However, I know there are other rFactor + TripleHead2Go users out there who can give it a whirl. I'll also be linking this post at a few places at Race Sim Central because there are quite a few TripleHead2Go users there as well.

ISI should be commended for offering this option. It may not be for everyone, but more choices are always good. ISI already has a history of implenting engine changes that are positive for triplehead users, and this is another big step in that direction.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 06:41 

Awesome Awesome Awesome!....Makes me want TH2G even more. These next few weeks are going to go by so slooooow...

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 09:24 

Wow thats awesome. I wonder though, is this gonna look funny if the outside monitors aren't angled in as much?

Man, i really gotta get my pit built so I can try this stuff.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 09:53 
Editors
Editors

I don't have this game ... but that look great !
Thanks for the heads-up ... 8)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 19:02 

This is awesome! :D

To make it even better, maybe ISI could add a possibility to adjust the angle between the front and side viewports. I can't turn my side monitors that much, because of my triple-monitor stand.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 21:51 

Good work !

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 23:22 

looks fantastic, nice to see a company actually doing something innovative for THTG

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2007, 16:02 
Founder
Founder

Can I get a set of screens to update the screenshot page?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:44 

Sure, I'll get you some, Ibrin. They existing shots need to be replaced anyway, as they show version 1070 with some bad stretching.

My move is mostly complete and I've been racing rFactor again. I've got to say that overall I really like this feature. The ability to see a lot more on the side screens is a huge benefit in close racing situations. I couldn't find my TrackIR for two weeks (it was burried in a box somewhere) and I barely noticed.

The odd angle break apparent between screens can be disconcerting in certain situations. For example, say you are aiming for an apex that, before you start your turn-in, is on a side monitor. As you turn it comes into view on the center monitor and its aspect angle changes relative to your fixed viewpoint.

IMO the odd angle break is defintiely the lesser of the evils, though, as the increase viewing angle and the lack of distortion win hands down.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 15:38 

I just bought rFactor, I was surprised that the only place I could find that actually had the game in stock was an eBay seller with 10 copies.

I look forward to playing a game with no side warping. When I was playing Track Mania Nations, the side screens where almost a detriment, because the warping made me think a sharp turn was less than it actually was. So I look forward to playing something that is showing everything accurately