Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 04:54 

I just got a 1080p monitor and went to try out Crysis. The resolution was set to 1360x768, but when I went to set it to 1920x1080 it said invalid resolution. It says the same for any resolution over 1360x768. I have my desktop res at 1080p and have played Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 3, ES IV: Oblivion, and GRAW2 all at 1080p, so I know it is not my monitor.
Geforce 8800GTX OC, C2D E6850, 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz.
Any ideas or suggestion? Thank you!
Edit. I am running v1.2. Also, I am able to get 1080p in a window, but not in fullscreen.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 11:29 
Editors
Editors

Interesting.

I'm sure this is at least the second occurrence of this, but I can't remember more than that. I don't think it was fixed, either, actually.

Well, hopefully in a few days I'll be able to test out a 1080p HDTV + HTPC, so I can stick Crysis on and give it a test.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2008, 20:19 

I just got off tech support and they were about as useful as a poopy flavored lollypop.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 04:01 

CryPoop, now that's a concept. LOL

Have you tried just forcing the res in the config file? Go to My DocumentsMy gamesCrysisgame.cfg. Open it with Notepad after relocating a backup copy. Go to where the lines r_Width = #### and r_Height = #### are and change them to r_Width = 1920 and r_Height = 1200. Save changes when you exit.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 04:26 

CryPoop, now that's a concept. LOL

Have you tried just forcing the res in the config file? Go to My DocumentsMy gamesCrysisgame.cfg. Open it with Notepad after relocating a backup copy. Go to where the lines r_Width = #### and r_Height = #### are and change them to r_Width = 1920 and r_Height = 1200. Save changes when you exit.

Yes, I have. All that shows up is a black screen. Even when I open the task manager. The only way to get it back is to reset the computer. It does the same thing if I set the game to 1080p in a window, then make it fullscreen.
Maybe it is trying to run at a refresh rate my TV does not support? But I don't know why it would do that.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 04:51 

Ah ha, you said monitor so I assumed it was not a TV. You still should be able to game at 60Hz on it even though 1080i HD broadcasts are in 2x 30Hz. I looked via Google searching, in the entire cvar list for the game and on every page of the Tweakguide and refresh isn't mentioned anywhere. You may need to force a 60Hz refresh via your video card control panel, NTune, or some such program by making a launch profile for Crysis. Some TVs refresh at 120Hz though, so be sure to check the specs on yours first.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 07:21 

Ah ha, you said monitor so I assumed it was not a TV. You still should be able to game at 60Hz on it even though 1080i HD broadcasts are in 2x 30Hz. I looked via Google searching, in the entire cvar list for the game and on every page of the Tweakguide and refresh isn't mentioned anywhere. You may need to force a 60Hz refresh via your video card control panel, NTune, or some such program by making a launch profile for Crysis. Some TVs refresh at 120Hz though, so be sure to check the specs on yours first.

My desktop res is 1920x1080 @ 60Hz (1080p). My TV also supports 23, 24, 29, 30, and 59Hz so I didn't think that was really a concern. Thanks for looking though :D .
FYI. I refer to my computer TV as my monitor because I have another TV about 3ft away for actual TV watching. I just got in a habit of refering to my computer TV as a monitor to distinguish them. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 08:46 

All that shows up is a black screen.

I did not see this already mentioned. Do you still get sound in the game? If you do it can help you focus on the display signal. If not, well that would be bad.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 16:26 

Do you still get sound in the game? If you do it can help you focus on the display signal. If not, well that would be bad.

Yes, I do get sound. I can hear game music and even my mouse scrolling across buttons in the video options.

A Hail Mary here, but is it possible that Crysis at 1080p is too much bandwidth for my DVI-HDMI cable (8ft Monster 800 series). I doubt it becaause it still didn't work with everything on low and/or turned off.

Hopefully Paradigm Shifter will have some luck.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2008, 18:30 

Yes, I do get sound. I can hear game music and even my mouse scrolling across buttons in the video options.

A Hail Mary here, but is it possible that Crysis at 1080p is too much bandwidth for my DVI-HDMI cable (8ft Monster 800 series). I doubt it becaause it still didn't work with everything on low and/or turned off.

Hopefully Paradigm Shifter will have some luck

Not my area by any means but I would think that if it was a bandwidth problem you would have problems with FMVs in other games. But I cannot really see why a cable cannot handle anything that it was designed for.

Does Crysis let you Alt-Tab back to the desktop? That might be a way to prevent those hard resets. This may be mumbo jumbo but I have found that some programs that will not let me Alt-Tab at first will let me do so if I have some other application running. Like Notepad.

Perhaps Crysis has a default refresh rate it goes to when you switch to fullscreen? You may want to try Refresh Lock or Refresh Force and see if you get any different results. The app can use a different refresh than your desktop res.