Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 19:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 15:44 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RGObJLrBw

What everyone has thought about but always wondered if it were possible. Apparently running two triplehead2go's is possible for a 6 monitor solution. I'm sure there is some custom installation to make it work properly but I doubt they will release it publicly anytime soon.

If this has been posted already remove the topic.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2008, 16:36 

Actually I've been running six screens on two TH2G units for a while - It's Very Nice. I'm using vertical span mode so my resolution is 3840*2048. It doesn't require any special setup but there are a few issues.

1) Vista drivers don't support any span modes so I have to use XP.

2) Both units have to be on the same card so no SLI etc. This means graphics power is seriously limited for newer games. (I mostly use it for Guild Wars and surfing the net.)

3) At the time I started this the best cards were ATI's 1000 series which did not support ful res on a TH2G. The 2000 series does but I'm now using an 8800GT anyway. I don't know how their 3000 series would do (I really want to try a 3870 x2 but it's not in the budget at the moment).

4) Before I start my system I have to unplug and replug(?) the lower unit otherwise the system won't detect it.

I'm not using any of Matrox's software - at least not since I found GridMove (link) and even made grids for it here: (link)
and Here: (link)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 00:17 

With that gridmove software, will it allow you to do the bezel management as well? I might use both together just so i can maximize to whats left of the screen after bezel management.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 06:52 

I'm not sure if I'm reading your question correctly or not. If you are wanting to use the thin space on the outside that the bezel management leaves blank ("B" on the diagram below) - you can't. That space is gone.
Code:
._______ _______ _______
   |B      |       |      B|
   '-------'-------'-------'

GridMove doesn't include any bezel management but if wanted to use both together you could adapt a grid file to leave those areas out. GridMove is great for arranging windows (and setting them to specific sizes and locations). To me bezel management is more of a full screen gaming thing and, like many others, I hardly ever notice the bars when gaming. I haven't missed the bezel management anyway - All it does is shrink the space. (and only on the sides which would make the center horizontal bezel stand out even more on 6 screens)

For the record: my single TH2G grid has these grids (window locations):
Code:
._______ _______ _______
   |       |       |       |
   |   1   |   2   |   3   |  one for each full screen (1,2,3)
   |       |       |       |
    _______ _______ _______
   |               |       |
   |       4       |   3   |  left + center (4)
   |               |       |
    _______ _______ _______
   |       |               |
   |   1   |       5       |  center + right (5)
   |       |               |
    _______ _______ _______
   |   |               |   |  2 screens wide but centered (6) (windowed game)
   | 7 |       6       | 8 |
   |   |               |   |  Half screens on either side of centered grid (7,8)
   '-------'-------'-------' (Skype/TeamSpeak/...)

I found Vert- games to be most bearable when run in a window in grid 6.

The 6 screen grid adds to those grids - most notably 3 grids that are 1 screen wide x 2 high (similar to using rotated 24" monitors) which is a great way to browse forums and surf the net.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 21:02 

Wow, great setup ideas. 7.8 million pixels is quite a bit, though... :) I want to do this but probably for gaming it would be a good idea to wait for faster single GPU solutions.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 23:17 

Thanks. I was very happy when I found GridMove.

I'd love a more powerful GPU but the "latest greatest" games always seem to require even more power than the last ones so I'm afraid it's a never-ending cycle. Fortunately slightly less intensive games work well for me - at least Guild Wars is smooth with all settings on high.

PostPosted: 05 May 2008, 07:10 
Founder
Founder

Can you post a screenshot of your WinXP Display Properties? Just curious to see what it looks like. And, you say that you've got one DTH2Go hooked up to each output of your GFX card?

PostPosted: 05 May 2008, 15:05 

Cropped:

Don't ask me why ImageShack thinks that image is 1920*1024 :?:

Full size:

Both are slightly compressed by the Print Screen / Paint method.

It's one TH2G unit on each output of one card.
(edit: I misread your question - yes, both are digital :D )
(I had tried two 8800GT cards (one TH2G per card) but span mode only works if both are on the same card. :( )

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 01:09 

Tyinsar,

What are you using to mount your 6-monitor setup? I know there are mounts available, but I'm curious which one you use. I've been thinking of going the 6-monitor route also.

FalconAF (also in Las Vegas). :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2008, 03:02 

Methinks I need to get another TH2G for my upper screens.