Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 May 2009, 22:39 

Hey All,

I have done a lot of reading on the fish-eye effect. I have finally received my TH2GO and 3 monitors and must say it is awesome!

However, I am yet to come across a fix for the fish-eye effect for WoW. I read on one of the threads, that after patch 3.0, it got worse!

Has anyone managed to improve this at all?? I bought the TH2GO to play wow on 3 monitors but now I am wondering whether it wasn't a bad buy! :(

Can someone help me?

See examples of my situation below.

This is where the Horde char is to the left of my right lcd.

And this is where I moved the camera view ever so slightly to the right so put the horde char on the center lcd. The Fish-Eye is really terrible. as this was simply a very slight move of the camera from one lcd to the the next.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 18:47 

you can modify the viewport so that it's not as wide as the whole screen. This is what I use.

/script WorldFrame:ClearAllPoints(); WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 1000, 0); WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",-1000, 0);WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true);

this one will set it back to full, wide picture.

/script WorldFrame:ClearAllPoints(); WorldFrame:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 0, 0); WorldFrame:SetPoint("BOTTOMRIGHT",-0, 0);WorldFrame:SetUserPlaced(true);

I use the black areas on each side for chat, maps, etc etc etc. the ultrawidescreen view isn't that helpful in this game, but it's really nice to have the extra space for everything you don't want right in front of you. Plus, it will bump your framerates up quite a bit. Unfortunately, WoW doesn't take advantage of all that video card power, it puts a lot of the load on the CPU.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 20:05 

Thanks for your reply. :) But its so irritating that I spend all this money to see this terrible effect.

Is it true that t got worse after path 3.0?

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 21:01 
Editors
Editors

You said you've read up about the distortion already, but just in case I'll link you to this ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7185

It's something that you have to expect with very wide ratios, whether it's worse on WoW or not, I'm not sure. Just cover them in addons :)

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 21:39 

Thanks but to be honest, although it is already there even in 4:3, there have been games that have been corrected. We should have the choice between peripheral vision for immersion and then just straight normal viewing. A game like wow requires no need for immersion. you play your character in third person. Not first person.

See here:
[url]http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7310]

Or am I still misunderstanding this?

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 22:30 

Thanks but to be honest, although it is already there even in 4:3, there have been games that have been corrected. We should have the choice between peripheral vision for immersion and then just straight normal viewing. A game like wow requires no need for immersion. you play your character in third person. Not first person.

See here:
[url]http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7310]

Or am I still misunderstanding this?
Well...the way games are actually made produces the 'fisheye' effect that you so utterly hate.

The example you posted is one game...and one game only. I don't think there have been others.

Notice in that thread, while there is no distortion on the outer edges, the perspective is skewed, as it's (in effect) rendering three different viewports, not simply rendering the triplewide image "correctly."

I.E. it would be like running three WoW windows side-by-side as one seamless image, with the two peripheral characters turned 45* to the left or right (respectively).

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 00:43 

I.E. it would be like running three WoW windows side-by-side as one seamless image, with the two peripheral characters turned 45* to the left or right (respectively).

Agreed, but that's what people are expecting when they buy the TH2G. Sure, I completely agree with the whole 'Peripheral' vision idea, but for world of warcraft, that would be better without peripheral vision. IMO at least.

That's why I say, we should have the choice like in rfactor. It should not be the rule.
Well...the way games are actually made produces the 'fisheye' effect that you so utterly hate.
Now I understand that it is just the way it always was from the beginning, but times have changed and people are expecting the option now. Why would the developers have taken the effort to allow the option to enable three viewports if they didn't think it was something worth looking into? Why did so many people praise them when they did look into it and provided the option? It might look skewed but it definitely looks better and again, it's only in my opinion. However, from what I read in that thread, those people's opinion's were also favoring it.

More game developers should start looking into this. If the 'fish-eye' effect is not supposed to be a problem because "it's just normal", then why are so many people complaining about it? It doesn't seem natural. People go out and spend a lot of money on these TH2G devices but almost 90% of people only realise afterwards that the fish eye effect is terrible. When you watch those videos that show it off, people don't notice it. I don't know why they dont, but they don't. Everyone thinks, "WOW! What an experience it must be to play games like that", but when they go out and buy it, they are dissapointed. Now I know it's not everyone but the general consensus is that most people hate the fish-eye.

I have read some posts that say that the fish eye effect in WoW became worse after patch 3.0. Why would this be the case? Why would Blizzard make it worse? It doesn't make sense to me...

Just one last thing, for FPS's like HL, Oblivion etc, the peripheral vision is great. But for games that have third person views such as WoW, those games we should have the option of switching the peripheral view off. Please remember, that it's only my opinion. But it seems that it is also the opinion of many others.

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 03:17 
Editors
Editors

It seems that 70% of your statistics are made up, with the remaining 55% appearing incorrect. :lol: Your assumption that everyone 'hates' the fisheye effect and only realise this after they buy it is unfounded. From memory at least, you are the first person I've seen complaining about it since I joined these forums.

As Dem said, rFactor is pretty much the only game I've heard of which produces multiple FOVs. It's something pretty specific, if you consider how rare TH gaming still is (although getting more popular, as reflected in our grading system), at the moment we're pleased when support is even present in the game.

It's a shame you have remorse about getting the TH2Go, but as you said yourself, you've seen the videos and saw it was present, so I don't know what you were expecting really :D

Give it time and you might get used to it.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 04:45 
Insiders
Insiders

The fisheye effect shouldn't really be a problem if you are sitting close enough to your monitors. If you are sitting too far away from them then the side monitors wont be in your periphery like they should be and the fisheye effect will definitely be more of a problem for you.
I sit at a distance of about 3 feet away from my screens, maybe 4. Any more than that and your missing the point of Triplehead.

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 06:56 

From memory at least, you are the first person I've seen complaining about it since I joined these forums.

Second that.

I have a SoftTH setup, and the fisheye doesn't bother me at all.

In your 'rant,' note that you have a TH2Go. And you don't like the graphical implementation (it stretches on the periphery). That makes you a small subset of an already extremely small minority.

If you look at our games database, you'll notice how difficult it is to get developers to make games TH2Go compatible to begin with. Forcing a game to render three separate viewports and render them together seamlessly to please an extremely small portion of their audience is not a task that many developers would even consider doing.

Besides, immersion is important no matter what game you're playing. Otherwise you're missing out on the experience :wink: