Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 May 2024, 18:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Screen choise advise pls
PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 02:01 

OK, firstly, I hope I have posted in the correct area, and I am a generally computer illiterate, compared to you guys...
so pls be patient with me, I am trying to learn more and have a life... LOL.

Bought a Th2go last year + 3 screens. Found out that my 2x 8800 GT's wouldnt support max res of the TH at the time. (Damm) Investigation of upgrades led me to the conclusion that a new computer was going to be more cost effetive in the long run.

Purchased a

Asus P6T6 mb
i7 940
3 x 2 gig ram (DDR3?)
2 x O/C 280 GTX (sli'd) (2 weeks before 295's released...Dammx2)
WD raptor 300 gig HDD
Samsung 500 gig HDD
Thermaltake 1500w psu
Thermaltake Armour+ LCS case
Sentry LX fan controller + gazillon 140mm fans
G15 Keyboard
Razor diamondback (head?) mouse
Vista 64 OS

My friend, and constructor of the computer also D/L the latest up grades in res for the TH and I head off home with the new toy.

Hook it all up and find that I still cant get max res now of 5040x1050 as my screens wont accept 57hz. (Dammx3)

Find your site and sigh...... If only I had found you before....LOL
My Asus VW222U appear on your 'dont work list' (DAMM x4)

SO, now, before I make a decision on which screens I wish to upgrade to, I open the floor to those with far more experience than myself and hopefully dont need to say 'DAMM' any more.

I have interest in my local sim racing club for the 3 screens, so they should be able to be sold off NP.

As I have recently also purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 275T for the old computer and am very happy with its features, I am leaning towards the Samsung 2693HM as replacements for the Asus albatros's.

I dont see the point in spending the money for 24's that are only just a bit larger when for not too much more the 26 (more precicely 25.5) would represent a reasonable step in size upgrade.

Of consideration in choise is blak narrow bezels, something that attracted me to the Asus in the first place. I do overlap the two outer screens with the centre one to minimise this already.

Your thoughts, advice and recomendations are most welcome and sought
cheers
Mike

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 14:20 

It pretty much boils down to personal choice in the end when it comes to the cosmetics (thin bezels). I find the bezels dont distract me, whilst overlapping screens probably would. The Dells seem to be a safe bet when it ccome to running 57hz, and theres plenty on the list to choose from.
To my eyes text at 1680x1050 looks pretty bad on a 26/27" screen, so make sure you test whatever you buy at thst res, if you are going to be using the same setup for desktop work.

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 22:37 

Good point on the text, thanks, however most of my work related stuff is done on another computer with a 27" screen at 19xx X 1200 so thats all ok. Although being 40+ yo and getting my first set of reading glasses, size can only help in my declinig years.....LOL. I dont find the bezels a problem when gaming either, in truth you tend not to even register they are there, other than minimising the width by overlapping assists when close to another car when racing online which is primarily what I use this computer for.

What I have found is that in 40 car grids on older type circuits when you are sitting in 20th+ position and there is only one set of start lights up the front. I can see them when others around me cant, and I can make demon starts compared to those around me......hehehe. Larger screens can only help in that scenario...LOL

Thanks for your input though, and there is just so much stuff on this site, which is fantastic. And ive posted at my clubs for all to look here.

Can anyone point me to someone who is using the Samsung 2693HM or anyone using them care to make a comment.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 12:26 

Any more advise pls, as I now have a buyer for my old 22's and am right at the point of buying the 26ers

I see them on the list, but are you absolutley sure there are no problems using it with a TH2go at 5040x1050 @57hz.

Sry, just have the jitters about spending the $$$ and not getting max res out of the three screens or something silly like that.....

If anyone knows who tested or has a Samsung 2693HM, could I be PM'd or put in touch with them for one final check before the green light is given to the order.

Thanks for you patience and assistance.

Mike

Post subject: rply
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 13:17 

"Investigation of upgrades led me to the conclusion that a new computer was going to be more cost effective in the long run." ---- Well I don't know about that. You've ended up spending loads of money on your new i7 PC...lol. Why do you have a 1500 Watts Power supply? That's too much.

Anyways, regarding your problem, dell or samsung monitors are pretty good. You just simply need to check if they support 57 Hz.

Post subject: Re: rply
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2009, 01:03 

"Investigation of upgrades led me to the conclusion that a new computer was going to be more cost effective in the long run." ---- Well I don't know about that. You've ended up spending loads of money on your new i7 PC...lol. Why do you have a 1500 Watts Power supply? That's too much.

Anyways, regarding your problem, dell or samsung monitors are pretty good. You just simply need to check if they support 57 Hz.

My investigation was based on cost of upgrade/new computer.
750w PSU wouldnt be enough for 2 GTX280's, + another 300 gig raptor HDD as mine was full, and MoBo was having power supply problems to USB connections. (G25 and Steelsound headset sapped too much power and only one would work without a powered USB hub)

Adding ram and upgrading the the chipset + the other bits was only about $1.5k cheaper than the new computer which would still be faster than the upgrade.
I now have the ability to 3x SLI, add much more ram and overall have a computer that just ticks over as opposed to screaming, which in theory, should extend its overall life. So it was a case of do it now, or upgrade, and get a new system later.

As for the 1500w PSU, I agree its overkill, the 1200w version was unavailable at the time with little increase in price for the larger unit, so it was a case of, just do it, I want it now..... :D

As for monitors, Dell seem to be a bit more expensive in Aus than Samsung for no obvious reason or gain, and having to run older drivers with the 280's so the samsung 24's will work seems limiting when the 26' samsungs work with all drivers and are only $100/unit more than the 24's. My biggest problem ATM is finding someone who has them in stock at all, let alone 3... :?