Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 09:51 

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I have an issue that I may know the solution to, but just in case, I'd like to ask for your opinions.

Currently I'm running a new Asus 5870, the card runs like a dream.

My system specs are:

q6600 @ 2.4ghz
4gb ram @ 800mhz
Fatal1ty FP-IN9 mobo
550Watt true power PSU (12v18a)

Here lies the issue. I know my Mobo doesn not support pcie16x 2.1. My PSU is not nearly enough to truly power my video card. When I have one of my ASUS VW246H monitors plugged into the display port adapter at 1280 x 1024, it works fluidly and perfect. This is a 3 x VW246H setup with eyefinity running at 3860 x 1024. Games run smooth, frame rate is awesome. The aspect ratio is absolutely annoying, and I can't stand gaming with it, or even standard desktop navigation.

When I turn my monitor up to it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080 ( 5760 x 1080 ), the monitor on the display port begins to show white line dashing across the screen randomly, the screen will shut down and then turn itself back on. Eventually the monitor will shut off completely.

My opinion is that the power supply with it's low 12v18a rail is not giving the card enough power to keep a constant signal to the displayport, causing it to shut down. The card still renders the image, as I can record it with fraps.

Another issue might be a faulty active display port adapter. I bought it from amazon and my wife threw out the receipt.

Also, could this be due the my motherboard not supporting pcie 2.1?

In final thought, i am in the process of upgrading my system, I will be upgrading Processor, Motherboard, Memory and PSU in the next month or two.

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 12:24 
Editors
Editors

Not likely to be the lack of PCI-E 2.1 support in the mobo, the adaptor being bad or the PSU not being enough are the most likely culprits. The PSU is easy enough to test if you can get a better one. However... 'threw out the amazon reciept'... shouldn't you still have a record of the transaction via e-mail and in your amazon history?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 20:22 
Insiders
Insiders

Low current rating on the PSU would normally show premature restarts, or fire, not an issue on just 1 screen.

That would be a good place to check, likewise with drivers, firmware/ BIOS updates for the card.

IMO

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 20:53 

I do still have my amazon history, i may be able to return the adapter with that information. Unfortunately I will not be able to grab a new power supply for at least 2 weeks.

So in a last ditch effort i went to the ASUS website. The card was burried deep in there support page and not on there flash page under graphic card.

i will be testing all three issues.

thanks for your help.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 22:28 

To be absolutely sure, I went to the ASUS website and took about 30 min to find their drivers. None of their utilities work... it's odd but may explain why they don't have the card listed on their flash UI... their drivers are out of date, catalyst 8.68 or so... This did not solve the problem.

I set up a return for my DP adapter and will get the new one on Monday. I'll see if this one is not defective, as this may be the issue.

Thanks for the help.

-Tanshin

Edit: I got all the utilities working, I think my massive head cold (crab) was getting the best of me and I wasn't functioning properly. all of the apps open up into the minimized task bar in win7.. so invisible until you right click the icon in the menu.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 00:35 
Insiders
Insiders

The min PSU specs is 500w, i think.

Before upgrading my PSU, i was running my 5870 and DVi-DP-DVI displays with my 535w Enermax PSU, which also had 18a on 12v rails, and it ran fine. (also a 65nm dual-core, two 7200rpm drives and 4 sticks of ram). My mobo is also PCI-E 1.1. I never had the DP display shut off on its' own.

550w should suffice, unless you have a lot of hard drives or something, or your PSu is of the cheap variety. A cheaply made or unstable PSU is a very bad thing. But, IS on the edge... what model PSu do you have? .

I'd suggest monitoring your PSU 12v stability by using a program like Lavasofts' "Everest" program. From what I've read, your 12v should not deviate more than 5%. You can also set it up to keep a logfile, in case you're gaming when the next shutdown occurs.

You're sure your connections are clean and snug, right?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 01:11 

I'm positive that my connections are clean. I cleaned the whole system with alcohol swabs and air dusted the entire machine before installing the card. I do think once every 6 - 8 months to keep all the contacts in the machine operational ( always get an fps boost after the clean).

I'm positive that my psu is on the cheap side of things. I don't think that Thermaltake produces my PSU anymore, as i bought it at Fry's Electronics in 2005. This is the closest thing i could find from thermaltake with similar stats.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153059&cm_re=thermaltake-_-17-153-059-_-Product

the 12v rails is a little less then the one i have, but only slightly. I ran Everest for about 20 min on full load, the average 12v rail ran at 11.97.

I was thinking another problem could be the 650i chipset on my mobo not being compatible with the video card.

I'll find out on monday if the problem lies soly in the display adapter, as I will be getting a replacement then.

Also, I'm running all three monitors on DVI-D Single link cables, this may also be an issue on the Display adapter. It claims to support single link, this may just be pulling string on my end to get to the root of the problem. As for running at any other resolution then 1280 x 1024, all of them flicker and shut off. 1280 x 1024 and 3860 x 1024 are the only stable resolutions.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 12:45 

When I turn my monitor up to it's native resolution of 1920 x 1080 ( 5760 x 1080 ), the monitor on the display port begins to show white line dashing across the screen randomly, the screen will shut down and then turn itself back on. Eventually the monitor will shut off completely.

I have exact same symptoms running native 1920x1080 on Benq 22" monitors. I'm running two 5770s in crossfire.

I'm thinking it might be a Video Bios or driver issue.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2010, 19:27 

[quote].....

I have exact same symptoms running native 1920x1080 on Benq 22" monitors. I'm running two 5770s in crossfire.

I'm thinking it might be a Video Bios or driver issue.

I'll let everyone know what happens with my new displayport adapter, and with tax season here, I'll have the money to finish my upgrading with in a few weeks.

If this new adapter also fails, I will look into a full refund and purchasing a sapphire. I know that they are all built by bizlink, but may not be the same result, as sapphire may test this product?

At this point I'm fairly certain that it is the display adapter, as now @ 1920 x 1080 the monitor will randomly come on and then shut off seconds later, sometimes it will stay on for a minute or two. in some cases I got an error message.

-Tanshin

Edit: Decided to call up Asus and ask them about it. The tech I spoke with said that it wasn't a known issue on their end and may be a faulty port on my card itself. That being said, I see no indications that this is the port itself, as it is sending an image and does not show the normal signs of a failing port chipset... IE blocked colors all over the screen, blue screens and driver crashing. Also, I found this on the FAQ page at the ati website... indicating that it may need a bios update http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/display-flashing-when-connected-to-displayport.aspx. The tech I spoke with also said that he wouldn't know when they get a bios update for the card until it's already on the site. this leads me to believe that I'm SOL until my new displayport adapter gets here. I may have a faulty card. heh

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 08:27 

Just want to add that I also have a 550W PSU and my 5870 works fine. Hopefully you can find a solution soon. I know how frustrating it is when your new hardware has problems.