Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 22:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 02:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello all,

Global Agenda is quickly poising to become the next PlanetSide of MMOs. Think of an FPS, think of instancing with hundreds of players, a conquest mode where you take over territory from other agencies (clans), and now you have a very mild idea of what's going on. It is very much an FPS with unlockable skills similar to Battlefield 2142. Meaning you can be max level and still get your ass kicked by a level 1 if you're a bad at FPSes.

The game itself costs normal price, but if you want to engage in the conquest modes you have to pay a monthly fee (there is coop and normal versus battles that are free for life).

Anyway, the reason for this post is that we really want this game to have proper multi-monitor support. There was a thread on their forums about it and one of the HiRez developers just said:

"no, since it would give an unfair advantage"

A pretty narrow answer. So let's all go to this thread and please post a note of your support:

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12858&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 02:52 
Insiders
Insiders

it says i'm not authorized to read sorry.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 03:01 

Thanks for the linkage. The original post was made by me. I just setup my eyefinity rig a few weeks ago, but unfortunately I had pre-ordered Global Agenda before that. It's a fun game, even with a single screen. But I have been too engrossed with playing games that actually support my eyefinity setup to really give GA a fair shake. In terms of fun factor, I feel like this:

Global Agenda > Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 (surround gaming) > Global Agenda (single screen)

Jetpacks are great, but eyefinity is better.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 03:47 

I wonder if they will limit the connection speed of any T1 users to prevent unfair advantages?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 11:29 

I've registered on the globalagendagame forum but still get a "not authorised" message following the link. I do hope this kind of "unfair advantage" nonsense from some devs gets knocked on the head pretty quickly. All they are doing is damaging an emerging new (ish) technology that's got a lot of people excited, and of course saving themselves some additional coding. I think the arrival of Eyefinity & nVidia's equivalent could finally see multi-monitor gaming reach a mass market PC audience, and as we know, it's hard to go back to single screen gaming once you've tried it, so the software boys are really going to need to get on the train if they want to keep up.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 13:08 

Blah, was looking forward to playing triplescreen. Was very much looking forward to playing this game, but can't stomach playing 1680x1050 with narrow FoV.

Too bad I already purchased it.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 14:33 

Let's face it most people still play with 4:3 1280x1024 screens, if that.
So realistically they should lock it at that right?

All this unfair advantage is BS tbh.
What if i have a native 2560x1600 30"?
Would i also get penalised for that?

I'm not authorised to read that btw also.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 18:19 

Yah, the original post is on the beta boards. I made another post in the public section. Please visit and show your support:

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=12858

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 02:03 

Remind them that if they truly want to discourage "unfair advantage" they MUST discontinue all support for surround sound, widescreen, resolutions over 800x600, multi-button mice, gamepads/speedpads, macroable keyboards (and those with LCDs)... and anything you can think of adding there because some people prefer to get wasted every week-end than invest into their gaming experience.

You either take a stance or you don't.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 06:52 

+1 hyunkel

since any higher res than 800x600 will give more details in the distance effectively giving some kind of "zoom" which could be an advantage ...

I think surround "may" give a slight advantage in some particular situations with very skilled surround players
however with the larger amount of screen estate I don't think each & every surround player is skilled enough to be focused enough so as to watch all the screens at once in clear details ...

and let's be real it's been like this since the start of PC gaming ...
have a better screen ? => slight advantage
have a more precise high quality mouse ? => slight advantage (if skilled enough)
have a powerful computer with more consistent FPS ? => slight advantage
have a powerful computer with more gfx details ? => slight advantage OR disadvantage depending on the particular situation ...

they should rather focus on watching for hacked gfx drivers that allow for wireframe rendering or transparent rendering & the like ....
these are far worst....