Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 06:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 23:19 

I got the 5770-Flex to use 3 monitors for fsx.

The connections info is very limited for my knowledge, please look the attached screen shots & see if you can help me as to what goes where.

Can anybody from this wiring diagram say how to use 3 monitors?.

1st shot are the sockets on my 3 identical used Dell ex office flat screens & the second is of the only v.card instruction.

The card has SL-DVI (the one without 4 small pins), DL-DVI, DP & HDVI ports or sockets.

I have vga to DL-DVI adaptors and a cable to convert HDMI to DVI signal.

I think I luck a cable with SLDVI one end & DLDVI the other or should it be VGA??, I have no idea.

From my monitors connections in screen shot 1, can you tell whether they are Analog or digidal as represemted in the 2nd shot.

Thanx ...........nick

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 02:11 
Insiders
Insiders

If you're looking to use 3 displays, one MUST be connected to the DisplayPort. If one of your monitors a DisplayPort of its' own, that's great. If not, you have to use an active DisplayPort-to-VGA/DVI/HDMI adapter.

There are a few adapters that work well, and there is a thread here that has many pages of discussion of the topic. I lucked out adn have a monitor with its' own displayport port, so I'm not really up to speed on what works best. But you DO need to use your DisplayPort.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 08:06 

If you're looking to use 3 displays, one MUST be connected to the DisplayPort. If one of your monitors a DisplayPort of its' own, that's great. If not, you have to use an active DisplayPort-to-VGA/DVI/HDMI adapter.

There are a few adapters that work well, and there is a thread here that has many pages of discussion of the topic. I lucked out adn have a monitor with its' own displayport port, so I'm not really up to speed on what works best. But you DO need to use your DisplayPort.

The OP has a 5770-"Flex". So he does not have to use DP. The Flex-Edition can handle three connections without having to use DP.

Just connect two monitors to the DVI-Outs and one to the HDMI-Out. Works fine with me an my 5770-Flex. :)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 19:54 

Thanx Ghostwire,

The vendor, Overclockers, promised that all necessary cables for 3 screens are in the box but there is nothing usable in the sealed box.

Could you please use "idiot's approach" to show me which cables I should use & what type of plug/socket should be in each end, as I am atter newby to this & am quite confused. Please see attached diagram.

I may have located the GX-250-SP active display port adaptor to go from the grx card DP to first Monitor's DVI which has no 4 pins either side if its flat pin, but you said you used "....to the HDMI-Out....".

This Sapphire active DisplayPort/Single-Link DVI adapter is only 2-3 inch long so I'l need another 2m with both ends without 4 pins either side if its flat pin.

Also from my diagram attached note that my identical 3 19" Dell E198WFP monitors their DVIs do not have the 4 small pins either side of the flat pin.

This means that for the remaining 2 monitors I will need

1. one cable with one end (gfx card) having 4 pins either side of the flat pin & none on the other end to the 2nd monitor.

2. one cable with one end (gfx card) having NO pins either side of the flat pin & none on the other end to the 3rd monitor.

The above underlined 4 cables @ £25 each adds another £100 to the cost.

Hopefully I did not tire you with all these & find time to help me ....nick

Sapphire active DisplayPort/Single-Link DVI adapte

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:29 

Sorry but please disregard above requests for help.

Overclockers verified to me:-

1. that Ati Radeaon 5770 Flex will run FSX, it does not !!.

2. that all cables needed for 3 screens are in the box, none usable was found, & 4 cables needed extra £100.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 08:02 

Strange.

Which is the original manufacturer of your card? The Flex should normally have the following Outs:
2xDVI
1xHDMI
1XDP

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1014/pg1/sapphire-radeon-hd-5770-flex-edition-review-introduction.html

You just need 2 normal DVI-Cables and one HDMI-Cable to establish 3-Monitor-Eyefinity. So it is:
- DVI to "whatever Inputport your first monitor has"
- DVI to "whatever Inputport your second monitor has"
- HDMI to "whatever Inputport your third monitor has"

Those cable shoudn't cost £100 !!!!

With an active DP-Adapter you can even use a fourth Monitor.

FSX should be Eyefinity compatible:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/01/05/amds_ati_radeon_eyefinity_performance_review/6

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 18:58 

Thanx again, it is "Saphire Ati Radeon" & I would love to suceed with it, despite that am in the process of returning it.

Well at Overclockers one said need 3 - 4 @ £25 each & the other 1 @ £25

"....- DVI to "whatever Inputport your first monitor has
- DVI to "whatever Inputport your second monitor has
- HDMI to "whatever Inputport your third monitor has...."
Could you please show me the ends of each of those cables you mention so that I find them exactly so in the shops & if they fit here. Maplin's cables are £20 each.

Does it matter if they Single or Dual?.

I cannot cope with the fast terminology of them people rattled on the phone & in the shops.

I suspect one DVI cable must have those pins on one end but not on it's other end to the monitor.

The second must have those pins on both ends,

The third one HDMI the card end & VDI with no pins for the monitor end.

The only cables I have here are VGAs both ends.

So I need at least 3 cables £60 to £75 total.

Please refer to my crued diagram, in one of my previous posts above, & see what sockets (DVIs with no pins either side of the Flat pin) my monitors (Dell E198WFP) have.

Now MORE troubles,

Cannot uninstall the ATi software.

Got rid of the drivers but the rest just hung there all day.

EDIT:- Regarding the DX 10 - 11 your Links mention, I did not use it, do I need it & how to go about it. I think I have DX9??

I did installed the card & tried to run FSX but would not accept it.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 07:54 

Could you please show me the ends of each of those cables you mention so that I find them exactly so in the shops & if they fit here. Maplin's cables are £20 each.

The cables simply have to have the connectors you can see at your graphics card and at your monitors. So, you need:
- Single-Link DVI to Single-Link DVI (twice)
- HDMI to Single-Link DVI

Maybe you should check out other stores than maplin. The prices there are extremly high.
Or maybe you should really return the card and look for a vendor, which delivers correct cables. Putting VGA cables with a card with no VGA-Ports is not a sign of proffessionality.

Does it matter if they Single or Dual?.

No. Except you want to use Monitors with higher resolutions than 1900x1200

Sorry, I can't help you with your other problems (ATI Driver uninstall and DirectX)

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 10:08 

Sorry I must have misinformed you unintentionally, with my remark
"....The only cables I have here are VGAs both ends......".
I meant that I only posses VGA cables of my own that I am using now with my present Nvidia 9800 card, & I will need to buy the DVI ones which should, in my opinion, be included or at least informed me, when I asked, that I need to buy extra things.

Your " - Single-Link DVI to Single-Link DVI (twice)" I understand, but the "D & I" type is what concerns me that have or have not the small 2 pins on each side of the flat pin.

This card they sent me has one "D" without them & one "I" with them, whilst all adverts show them with both DVIs of the "I" type, with 4 pins, as shown here below as DLDV-I & SLDV-I:-
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=2233&image=18

I did not seem to find a cable with "D" one side (Card) & "I" the other (Monitor). ...........nick

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 11:39 

Sorry I must have misinformed you unintentionally, with my remark
Your " - Single-Link DVI to Single-Link DVI (twice)" I understand, but the "D & I" type is what concerns me that have or have not the small 2 pins on each side of the flat pin.

The cables with the additional 4 pins are DVI-I Cables, which you don't need, because you don't want to attach analog Monitors.
To concretize - You need:
- Single-Link DVI-D to Single-Link DVI-D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-DVI-Digital-Single-Link-Cable/dp/B000067RLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294395631&sr=8-1)
- Single-Link DVI-D to Single-Link DVI-D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-DVI-Digital-Single-Link-Cable/dp/B000067RLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294395631&sr=8-1)
- HDMI to Single-Link DVI-D (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Metre/dp/B000GDI6FC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294395823&sr=8-1)

Together £18,55