Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 05:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 03:17 

hi guys,
im considering this computer that is for sale. i already have a dell 3007 and am planning on getting two 20 inchers to run in portrait mode on either end. i do play games but mostly phot edditing and light video projects.

my question is this. will this computer allow me to run the monitor set up i have described? would i be able to play the games on all three screens or just the 30 inch?

also the price he is asking is 2100.00 what is your opion on this?

thanks guys here is the link

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 16:05 
Editors
Editors

Be careful. That computer smells scam and the GPU isn't capable of 3 screens with poor power to play games on a 30" with it.

The programs might be pirated as well. Take precautions. :)

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 18:12 

That is an awfully lot for such a system.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 20:24 

Looks like a Craigslist ad... I would always be suspicious of those. You could build your own computer that's better than that for a lot cheaper. That GTS 240 is a $60 budget-minded graphic card, it would be hardly enough to play games at respectable detail, let alone across multiple screens.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 05:56 

Looks like a Craigslist ad... I would always be suspicious of those. You could build your own computer that's better than that for a lot cheaper. That GTS 240 is a $60 budget-minded graphic card, it would be hardly enough to play games at respectable detail, let alone across multiple screens.

I know, I was thinking tthe same thing, I did a soft shop around and its looking like its about 1000 in parts. Grantd i m aware of the pirated software. Hense my main attraction to this deal. I do a lot of photo editing and assemble of photo boooks.(I have a small side buisness with weddings) at the same time I do a lot of gamming (wow,fps) so I need a systm that can both give me the mac. Side for photo/video and the pc side for gaming. Although I find the price he is charging ridiculas. But at the same time stuck because the the thought of buying a system through apple that can game makes me cringe!!

While I'm here, does any one have a sugestion on what displays would be a good match for the 3007? Remember I'm wanting to run them in portrait mode on either side,
Thanks

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:38 

my opinion. never buy a mac for gaming, and two look at what you vs what you can get. For $2000 I can build a tower that meet all your needs and get you a new screen as well. seriously though...what are you going to do that the $300 SB Quad i7 won't handle? His mac is already out of date. Save yourself the trouble...build it yourself.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2011, 05:30 

- the $2100 asking price will pay for a real MacPro, if you shop the refurb store / or use a student discount
- you can put together that same system for a $1000 tops.
- hackintosh isn't as reliable a a true mac, unless are a little mac savy, and can handle updates that "break" the hacks that make it run OSX
- video card is waaaaaaaay SUB-PAR
- i guarantee the software is pirated. those are thousands of dollars of software, and he/she will not have the discs/boxes

if you want to play games, build a PC. and this is comming from a person with enough Apple/Mac gear in my house to open a Apple store.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 15:25 

I here what you guys are saying. If I was just wanting to run windows 7 then no doubt id build it my self. The problem is I want a dual booting system.
I want the Mac side for my photography buisness and for media management.
I want the windows. Side for gamming and whatnot.
I thought about buying aused macpro and installing windows on that.but the hardware sucks.

I've been reading the hackintosh boards and honestly I could figure it out but I don't have the time to.
I'm changing the video card in this computer to x2 nvidia gtx 460 sli and he is going to put a 950w power supply in.
I already have the 3007 and just bought 1 of the 2007fp for either side.
So unless I can find someone else local that can build me a dual boot tower I'm stuck with this guy.
I just want to make sure I'm not missing something on the hardware side.
Thanks

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 20:49 

It does reek a bit of scam. He should be selling that on eBay if it was legit, the software
package would put it over what he's asking. Sounds like it's probably torrented warez.
There's a couple "I can" and "you can" (s) that may mean he wants more $$ or you have to spend
more to get it to the described level.

Surely there are other builders out of Chicago.
I'm near Louisville, if you really need help.

Quite a bit of hackintosh info here.. decently explained and full setup guides.
http://lifehacker.com/#!hackintosh

They changed their site layout recently, use the right sidebar to scroll articles.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 21:03 
Insiders
Insiders

Dell 2007fp

Lines up almost perfectly when in portrait mode. Also matches the 3007. They made to types of this model, one with a PVA panel and another with an S-IPS panel. You want to get the IPS to make sure it matches better.

from this image you can tell the width is about the same.

EDIT: Here's a better image.

EDIT2:This might work for you as well.
Center Display: Samsung 305T+ 30" 2560x1600
Bookend Displays: 2 x Samsumg 204T 20" 1600x1200 (portrait)