Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 16:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 02:19 

Basically I got the chance to use a dual LCD setup at a LAN convention
recently and had that "eureka!" moment of using Photoshop without fiddling
with the toolbars every 5 seconds.

So I'm looking at trying to cheaply upgrade my screen.

Usage: Photoshop, very frequent web browsing, multi-tasking, probably get more into design
and so forth. Gaming I haven't tried on a multi display, but I mostly play/use 1999 era games.
Newest stuff I play is BFBC2, and about twice a year TF2 and SC2. Just playing on one monitor
isn't a big issue with me. I prefer monitors that I can reduce the brightness on significantly, since
my job is to sit in front of the PC all day, my eyes are getting more light sensitive.

I've got a EVGA GTX275 w/768mb vram /dual dvi - which I'm not looking to swap out or expand
on due to funds. Current LCD is an old 17" Sony TV/LCD MFD MFM-HT95 running at 1280x1024.
It's been on and off showing a dead pixel lately. System is a Core i3-540, dual boot XP/Win7.

I went to what few local tech shops I've got, looked at a Asus 20" unit, then some other brands
that looked pretty nasty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236106

My observation was that 20" looked small, as in small as my 15.6" laptop small. The one model a store had on the floor was a very minor revision step previous to my link, but it was hooked up via VGA (bleh) and no access to Windows to really mess with it. The OSD was kindy annoying to deal with, but not a big deal. Text was ok, really the screen just needs calibration (and probably some DVI love). Was somewhat worried about the physical/ pixel height compared to my current LCD.

Across from it however, was a identical LCD (not LED) 24" running on DVI that looked pretty nice.
What didn't look nice was the $250 price tag.

So doing some research, I find that folks complain of screen tearing / ghosting on high contrast areas
on pretty much all the Asus branded displays of late. They also complain of the OSD (non issue), speakers (no surprise), color issues, and 1 in 25 buyers have dead pixels approximately. I figured I'd just use the OSD and Nvidia properties to adjust the color to a reasonable level.

So I started looking at 23" units, due to cost and resolution. 1080 fits what I've been using. There
I wouldn't be losing height, but I'd be gaining width (pixel wise).

http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10914201

http://www.buy.com/prod/aoc-2330v-23-widescreen-lcd-monitor-full-hd-resolution-30-000-1-dc-5ms/q/loc/101/211162544.html

Basically neither of these I can see locally, but the AOC has no speakers or included cable. By the time you replace those items, you're at or over the cost of two Asus units. So unless the screen is better, it doesn't sound like much of a deal.

Both have a great quantity of positive reviews, and a few lemons.

So I open it up to the community here, there any better choices out there in the $300 and under range
or am I missing anything?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 11:20 
Insiders
Insiders

I see a mention of $250 being too much for a screen, but also see you want to use Photoshop.

For accurate colours and good viewing angles you are better getting an IPS panel (read as more expensive) than a TN panel, which most likely the cheaper end of the market will come with. LED or CCFL backlighting will not matter so much, but LED generally consumes less power, and will allow a thinner screen.

I think if you are able to, shoot for a U2211 Dell, or a 2311, (23") as they use a IPS panel, and are reviewed very highly. Other manufacturers use IPS panels at such sizes, such as the Z22 HP unit, and I think LG has some, but you pay a little more for it. I don't think you would be disappointed.

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 20:41 

Cheapest U2211 is about $220 off eBay. The 23" being $271.

Super accurate color is not a huge issue to me. I can live with test prints and tweaking
settings to get within the same realm. I wish there was a decent color
comparison with my current Sony, so I'd have some idea what would be better/worse.
The Sony is typically quite a bit brighter than my prints as is. Viewing angles aren't a huge
issue either, since if I go dual they'll be sitting directly in front of me. My current display
sits off on the side.

$300 is pretty much my max budget. So basically I'm either forced to look
at 1 smaller IPS panel with separate speakers, or 2 TN panels that come with them.

For the cost, it doesn't seem like I'm really getting any big advantage over what I'm
using now, to go with an IPS.

LED vs. CCFL any noticeable difference in eye strain or ability to lower the brightness?