Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 08:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SSD Upgrade Q&A
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 15:59 

1. Is it okay to partition an SSD? Let say I bought a 256GB SSD and I want to divide it into several partitions. One for the running the OS, another for storing system image backup and other files (e.g. videos and mp3).

2. Does SSD require a power cable connected to the PSU?

3. Does an SSD using NTFS file system require defragmentation once in a while?

4. How long is the lifespan of SSD? Is it longer than HDD?

5. I heard that the read-write speed of SSD will become slower after a few years. After that what happens? Can I make the SSD faster again by reformatting it or get a new one?

6. Can a SSD crash like a HDD would? If it can, then I still have retain an external HDD for backup purpose.

7. My mobo only supports SATA2 (3Gb/s). Is it good enough for SSD?

8. Any signs of manufacturers are starting to produce 3.5" SSD specifically for the desktop?

Post subject: Re: SSD Upgrade Q&A
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 16:43 

The wiki page on SSDs has some good info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

I think the biggest reason I won't be looking at SSD anytime too soon is this:

Cost: [list][*]As of February 2011, NAND flash SSDs cost about (US)$1.20–2.00 per GB [/*:m]
[*]As of February 2011, HDDs cost about (US)$0.05/GB for 3.5 in and $0.10/GB for 2.5 in drives[/*:m][/list:u]

At around 25-times the cost per GB, I think I can live with the slightly slower HDDs.

Also on that page was this tidbit:
Solid state drives that use flash memory have a limited number of writes over the life of the drive. SSDs based on DRAM do not have a limited number of writes.

So it seems if you are looking at SSD, look for one that uses DRAM to avoid longevity issues.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 19:05 
Insiders
Insiders

1. Is it okay to partition an SSD? Let say I bought a 256GB SSD and I want to divide it into several partitions. One for the running the OS, another for storing system image backup and other files (e.g. videos and mp3).

Yes fine to partition, however you don't need the "SSD speed" for the image backup and videos and mp3s. You will gain nothing apart from silence, and a large hole in your wallet.

2. Does SSD require a power cable connected to the PSU?

Yes, standard SATA power connection.

3. Does an SSD using NTFS file system require defragmentation once in a while?

Yes in theory, however in practice, de fragmentation of a SSD reduces its lifespan, so should not be run.

5. I heard that the read-write speed of SSD will become slower after a few years. After that what happens? Can I make the SSD faster again by reformatting it or get a new one?

They do get slightly slower but with an O/S, controller (no RAID) and SSD that support TRIM, they run at pretty much the same speed all their life. If you don't have access to TRIM, you can zero the entire drive, and that will restore its speed.

6. Can a SSD crash like a HDD would? If it can, then I still have retain an external HDD for backup purpose.

Yes, it is electronic. Nothing stops firmware problems, power cuts, lightning etc etc.

7. My mobo only supports SATA2 (3Gb/s). Is it good enough for SSD?

Depends on the SSD, some can use more bandwidth than the SATA2 specification copes with, however, a saturated SATA interface would give a might fast transfer anyway.

8. Any signs of manufacturers are starting to produce 3.5" SSD specifically for the desktop?

OCZ did one, but I don't think they will catch on as a normal product, just because they have all generally been 2.5" for so long now.

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 23:20 

Like all hard drives, the lifespan depends on how many total hours it is run and how many writes it executes during that time. The current widespread MLC architecture of NAND flash drives lasts about five years from what I've heard, and as little as three years. The more expensive SLC architecture holds data integrity better over this time span, and supposedly lives as long as 7-10 years. SLC SSDs cost about $7-$10/GB. For comparison, HDDs typically last about 7-10 years, with drive speed a big determining factor in the lifespan of the drive.

If you need a lot of space and you're going to be doing a good amount of regular writing and deleting then you should stick to HDDs. SSDs make no sense for data storage in the current market. This is just my opinion of course.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 10:21 

another thing to consider is that ssd drives have already been superceded by revo drives which are a lot faster, but more expensive.
they are basicly a ssd drive on a pci ex card so no sata bottleneck to worry about as it can use the pci ex bridge instead.
It is new tech, so expensive, fast and probably still needs some tweaking.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-x2-pci-express-ssd.html

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 12:37 

Back in 2007, a 2GB USB drive was selling for RM80-RM100. Now it is only RM20. The price DDR3 was 3-4 times higher compared to DDR2 a few years ago. Now DDR3's price is comparable to DDR2. Last year, a 500GB 2.5" external HDD was selling for RM360. Now the price dropped to RM200 and RM360 is enough to buy a 1TB 2.5" external drive.

From this observation, I'm convinced that SSD's price (including SATA3 & PCIe variants) will become much more reasonable 3-5 years from now.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 13:49 
Editors
Editors

For what it's worth, I've been told that partitioning an SSD is a bad idea, as it breaks the wear levelling algorythms. Whether that is true or not (particularly on new controllers) I have no idea.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 06:39 

If you don't have access to TRIM, you can zero the entire drive, and that will restore its speed.

Formatting (not Quick Format) the drive isn't the solution? I have to get a drive wiper utility?

For what it's worth, I've been told that partitioning an SSD is a bad idea, as it breaks the wear levelling algorythms. Whether that is true or not (particularly on new controllers) I have no idea.

Okay, then I'll get 2 Intel SSDs (since Intel's are cheaper). One for the OS, another for storing files.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 08:27 

[quote]
If you don't have access to TRIM, you can zero the entire drive, and that will restore its speed.

Formatting (not Quick Format) the drive isn't the solution? I have to get a drive wiper utility?Formatting doesn't zero out the drive. It just clears the MFT so new data can be written and recognized. The manufacturer of the drive should have diagnostic utilities available that should have the option of zeroing out the drive. Seagate has SeaTools, for example.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 09:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Google "Secure Erase" if you want to restore an SSD to new condition. SE is an actual command supported by the SATA standard.