Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 20:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 13:20 

Hi,

i recently bought myself a HP ZR30W monitor

now to the point, im not 100% sure what to do.

1: Should i keep it and use a single monitor on my pc?
maybe a smaller monitor as second for msn, mail etc.

2: Do i turn it in to get myself a eyefinity/surround setup?
Eyefinity/Surround really looks amazing, however is it worth it above
a single big monitor?

3: Get 2 more HP ZR30W's for eyefinity/surround?
problem with 3 ZR30W's is that im kinda afraid that 3x "30" would be too wide

Please your input on this

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 11:24 

no one with an opinion about this?

Post subject: SantaCruz wrote:Hi,i
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 11:33 
Administrators
Administrators

Hi,

i recently bought myself a HP ZR30W monitor

now to the point, im not 100% sure what to do.

1: Should i keep it and use a single monitor on my pc?
maybe a smaller monitor as second for msn, mail etc.

2: Do i turn it in to get myself a eyefinity/surround setup?
Eyefinity/Surround really looks amazing, however is it worth it above
a single big monitor?

3: Get 2 more HP ZR30W's for eyefinity/surround?
problem with 3 ZR30W's is that im kinda afraid that 3x "30" would be too wide

Please your input on this

There is really no right answer, its all about your preference, 30'' monitors have a higher resolution so they show a better image but the same aspect ratio as a smaller 16:9 or 16:10, so its just a bigger screen with more pixels. Triple monitor setups cost about the same as a 30'' monitor, but have a higher total res, much higher aspect ratio but lower support for games (not bad support just less games support 48:10 or 48:9 aspect ratios as there are that support 30'' monitors).
A trio of 30'' would be the ultimate system, but you need a crap ton of GPU and processing power to pull off a system like that.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 11:54 

There is really no right answer, its all about your preference, 30'' monitors have a higher resolution so they show a better image but the same aspect ratio as a smaller 16:9 or 16:10, so its just a bigger screen with more pixels. Triple monitor setups cost about the same as a 30'' monitor, but have a higher total res, much higher aspect ratio but lower support for games (not bad support just less games support 48:10 or 48:9 aspect ratios as there are that support 30'' monitors).
A trio of 30'' would be the ultimate system, but you need a crap ton of GPU and processing power to pull off a system like that.

thank you for your input Skid, however gaming is not the only thing i will be using it for (even tho it will be among the things it will be used for)

- gaming
- video editing (sony vegas)
- photo editing
- browsing
- webdesign

etc

however regarding gpu power, will 2 high end cards be sufficient? or will such a high resolution require 3 high end cards for some decent fps.

edit: must say that i'm really impressed by the 2560x1600 resolution. even tho it's around the same size as my old monitor, the screen just feels so much bigger cause of the resolution.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 12:00 
Administrators
Administrators

thank you for your input Skid, however gaming is not the only thing i will be using it for (even tho it will be among the things it will be used for)

- gaming
- video editing (sony vegas)
- photo editing
- browsing
- webdesign

etc

however regarding gpu power, will 2 high end cards be sufficient? or will such a high resolution require 3 high end cards for some decent fps.

edit: must say that i'm really impressed by the 2560x1600 resolution. even tho it's around the same size as my old monitor, the screen just feels so much bigger cause of the resolution.

For productivity any multi-monitor system (whether its capable of a single desktop or not) is a massive benefit, before I had an triple-monitor gaming system I had 3 monitors, one 20'' 16:10 plus two 15'' 4:3.

In terms of power required, you would be looking at a pair of 580 or more powerful, or a pair of 6970 or more powerful to run 3 x 30'', you would also need 2GB minimum VRAM, 3GB or 4GB would be better (Note duel GPU cards like the 590 use half of the VRAM for each core, so you actually only have half the amount listed available to the GPU).

It comes down to how your going to use your computer the most, if you think a triple-monitor gaming experience is worth it, or if you want to put down the money for 3 30'' monitors.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 12:10 

For productivity any multi-monitor system (whether its capable of a single desktop or not) is a massive benefit, before I had an triple-monitor gaming system I had 3 monitors, one 20'' 16:10 plus two 15'' 4:3.

In terms of power required, you would be looking at a pair of 580 or more powerful, or a pair of 6970 or more powerful to run 3 x 30'', you would also need 2GB minimum VRAM, 3GB or 4GB would be better (Note duel GPU cards like the 590 use half of the VRAM for each core, so you actually only have half the amount listed available to the GPU).

It comes down to how your going to use your computer the most, if you think a triple-monitor gaming experience is worth it, or if you want to put down the money for 3 30'' monitors.

DING DONG! Hi DHL we have a package for you.. i didnt order anything??!!

for some reason the company did sendt me a second example of the HP ZR30W (did only pay for 1).

just made a call and they said that they made a mistake and that i have to return one of em

however im first going to hook it up and take a look how 2 of these bad boys look next to each other

back to your point.. i think im just going with 3x HP ZR30W and upgrade my GPU's with the upcoming high end cards of nvidia (hate ati/amd). EVGA all the way!

currently im still running EVGA GTX 570 SC in sli and i know that i will run into a huge vram issue :(
a well more a reason to upgrade stuff faster (A)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 12:28 
Administrators
Administrators

I like EVGA as well, but at the time I upgraded from my TH2G unit Eyefinity was the best implementation for a triple monitor setup available at the time, but that's not the case anymore.

Anyway, when you have your new system setup, feel free to add it to our collection of Command Centres: [#6011] :)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 12:34 

sure np, however will be more then one picture then.

one of the current setup.

and one when my new desk is finished (building own one).

currently my computer is standing on the table in the living room :P a well just a temporary solution till my desk is finished!

thanks for your input though!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 20:01 
Editors
Editors

just made a call and they said that they made a mistake and that i have to return one of em

tzzz...

You always wait! always!

If nothing happens in 30 days. Order another one just to test if you get 2 again :D Then sell the 4th on Ebay and you got 3 for the price of one!

If you wanna test out how much Vram that high of Resolution would use you could try "Downsampling" aka SSAA.
(Tool for SSAA )
Use 2x and then you get the Quadruple of your normal Resolution aka 4 screens instead of one.
maybe 1.7 or such works.

Post subject: Haldi wrote:tzzz... You
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 11:35 

tzzz...

You always wait! always!

If nothing happens in 30 days. Order another one just to test if you get 2 again :D Then sell the 4th on Ebay and you got 3 for the price of one!

If you wanna test out how much Vram that high of Resolution would use you could try "Downsampling" aka SSAA.
(Tool for SSAA )
Use 2x and then you get the Quadruple of your normal Resolution aka 4 screens instead of one.
maybe 1.7 or such works.

haha, na im not like that will be sending it back this friday.. must say now that i have two of them next to each other, that im kinda afraid that 3 would be just to much... they take up so much space. and you have to turn your head to even be able to see the left and right monitor.

Thanks for the link of the SSAA tool aswell, didnt know about it excisting. Will try it out!

That said, i made a picture of the two monitors next to each other. Will try to post it later tonight when i get back home from work. P.S while i do so dont look at all the mess !