Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Oct 2024, 12:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 12:19 

Well, according to flux, crossfire seems to be the problem.
I made a DVI screen the main monitor, but when i started the game, it started on the DP monitor (i didnt bother moving the screens around, didnt quite see what it would do)
Havent tried disconnecting the DP monitor though.

P.S. 10.2 did not fix it. Havent tried disabling crossfire myself though... i don't know how to with 5970 :oops:

Guess we should try to figure it out, and contact ATI when we know it.
Sound like an idea?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 20:34 

There are two methods to disable CrossFire :

Method 1 :

Via the Ati icon notification in the taskbar :

You can see on this snapshot that there are six graphics cards, maybe another bug from CCC ?!? They were four before i disabled Crossfire...

Method 2 :

Via CCC :

I also noticed better performance with Crossfire disable while playing NFS Shift in Eyefinity @ 5760x1080 setup with AAx0 and see others settings below

For the moment, i think that there is a bad management of Crossfire with the Catalyst 9.12 and Hotfixes...

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 13:58 

Hmm I read something similar about desktop flickering on the 5xxx series.. wish I could find it now. But maybe the problem is similar.

I think it was something like this.. When in desktop mode a single Radeon would downclock to ~157MHz GPU/300MHz memory at below 1920x1080 resolution, and ~400MHz GPU/900MHz memory when at 1920x1080 or higher or with multiple monitors. If it downclocked to the lower speeds while at high resolution or multiple monitor the screens would flicker, hence the higher clock for higher resolution.

In Crossfire mode or when using the Overdrive settings there was a bug causing the GPU to downclock to 157/300 in 2d mode regardless of the resolution though, causing the flickering. Starting a 3d game even in windowed mode would cause it to detect 3d and ramp up the clocks though, stopping the flickering.

Perhaps this is related? Having the game windowed on a secondary screen causing it to not ramp up the clocks resulting in flickering? Maybe you can force the clocks up with RivaTuner or MSI's overclock tool or something?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 01:51 

Just come back on this old post to say that Official Catalyst 10.6 solved all my problems about flickering...

So long to wait but now it's so good... :rockout