Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 23:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 08:50 

I think the bigger issue here is that by the time you throw in eyefinity resolutions like 3840x1024 or higher you may end up getting substantially inferior FPS than playing it at 1080p (similar to that on a console). At that point I basically have to be playing with all the graphics settings looking inferior (resolution not with standing) or play it on a single monitor at which point I might as well have bought it for the console (at least if its not a shooter, shooters you need the superior M&K).

To me, PC games aren't very enticing if they don't support EyeFinity (sick of devs doing Vert-), except for their superior control schemes.

There are tons of reasons to play games on consoles, you just listed graphics and framerate among them and that makes no sense, both are better on PC in every single case.

And 1080p is not the same as console by the way, console games are all 720p and under with rare exception. Just because the console sends the signal to your TV in 1080p does not mean it is a 1080p true resolution the game is in. The jump from 720p and under to 1080p on PC is a heaping massive one and reason alone to play console-y games on a PC with my Xbox pad. On top of that you have more AA, more AF, etc. etc., as well as possible tweaks.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 19:02 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]I think the bigger issue here is that by the time you throw in eyefinity resolutions like 3840x1024 or higher you may end up getting substantially inferior FPS than playing it at 1080p (similar to that on a console). At that point I basically have to be playing with all the graphics settings looking inferior (resolution not with standing) or play it on a single monitor at which point I might as well have bought it for the console (at least if its not a shooter, shooters you need the superior M&K).

To me, PC games aren't very enticing if they don't support EyeFinity (sick of devs doing Vert-), except for their superior control schemes.

There are tons of reasons to play games on consoles, you just listed graphics and framerate among them and that makes no sense, both are better on PC in every single case.
I don't understand what is being missed here. I said that playing PC at EyeFinity resolutions it's common to get worse FPS than playing at console 720p/1080p resolutions. This should be pretty intuitive even to anyone who thinks about it for a moment. 3X the resolution of course the FPS will be worse.

If we can agree on that obvious statement, then the next question is comparing playing single monitor on the PC to the typical console resolution. Sure it is quite possible for people with modern computers to get better looking graphics, but at the cost of playing on a single monitor. Now personally I get confused whenever my 2 side monitors are inactive, I am used to using my peripheral vision a lot and all it sees is a bunch of black. At that point even though the graphics might be a lot better, it's still only on one monitor so it's not a slam dunk superior experience by any means.

Plus, there's going to be lots of other factors too.. like it's common for living rooms to have a giant TV with a good couch so playing there will be more comfortable. (For me that's not actually the case, I recently put my la-z-boy recliner next to my PC :o , but still the TV is bigger :D) What's more commonly the issue is how fast do games come out on the PC vs consoles (assuming that for console exclusives like MGS4 it's a slam dunk to buy them on the console)?

Take Mass Effect 1, late release on the PC so I got it on the console since I wanted to play it right away (and they didn't announce a PC port at all at the time). When it did come out on the PC eventually it didn't support triple monitor so great, no real win anyway. Mass Effect 2 came out simultaneously, so I got it (well I was gifted it) on the PC and now I'm patiently waiting for them to patch in multi-mon support (I think it should happen eventually, it's BioWare for crying out loud).

Then you got AC1/AC2, similar story, later PC releases. Except with AC2 they are also adding a draconian DRM scheme of always forcing people to be online to save/load your games. So now already you have no multi-mon support and they shove DRM down your throat, it's no wonder I consider that the status quo AC2 PC experience will be inferior.

So given a crappy PC game, people can give in, buy a PC game with a crappy PC experience or avoid buying it on the PC at all..

And 1080p is not the same as console by the way, console games are all 720p and under with rare exception. Just because the console sends the signal to your TV in 1080p does not mean it is a 1080p true resolution the game is in. The jump from 720p and under to 1080p on PC is a heaping massive one and reason alone to play console-y games on a PC with my Xbox pad. On top of that you have more AA, more AF, etc. etc., as well as possible tweaks.

Indeed, I said "similar to that" not "equivalent of" since there's games like Halo 3/MW(2) that aren't even 720p but even less.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:38 

Hi M8ys

Just to let you know about the following just got updated today by the looks of it:

================================================================================

Assassin's Creed II v1.01 Update

================================================================================

* Game can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored
* Added support for ATI Eyefinity technology
* Fixed minor performance issues related to some multi-core processors
* Now reset graphics options if a new video card or monitor is detected
* Fixed some minor issues in Uplay Browser

Haven't tried it myself yet but hopefully it will work!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:51 
Editors
Editors

Haha great news, thx StAntoN :D

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:54 

Hi M8ys

Just to let you know about the following just got updated today by the looks of it:

Assassin's Creed II v1.01 Update

* Game can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored
* Added support for ATI Eyefinity technology
* Fixed minor performance issues related to some multi-core processors
* Now reset graphics options if a new video card or monitor is detected
* Fixed some minor issues in Uplay Browser

Havent tried it myself yet but hopefully it will work!

The game's not even out yet? Do you have a link to the patch notes?

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:26 

Hi

Nope sorry came up when updating the game when i just installed it had me copy since yesterday shopto.net dispatched mine early along with silent hunter 5 for my old man and supreme commander 2 as well all turned up on tuesday but unfortuntly cant play supreme commander 2 as its locked on steam.

Well the yefinity support works brillantly all the hud is centred as well the only thing is most of the cuscenes section go back to cneter on the main montior but otherwise brillent execution of eyefinity like bad company 2 and avp.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:34 
Administrators
Administrators

Hi

Nope sorry came up when updating the game when i just installed it had me copy since yesterday shopto.net dispatched mine early along with silent hunter 5 for my old man and supreme commander 2 as well all turned up on tuesday but unfortuntly cant play supreme commander 2 as its locked on steam.

Well the yefinity support works brillantly all the hud is centred as well the only thing is most of the cuscenes section go back to cneter on the main montior but otherwise brillent execution of eyefinity like bad company 2 and avp.

Please screenshot it.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 02:37 

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/17456/Assassin's%20Creed%202%20Patch%201.01%20-%20US

There it is... looks legit.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 02:54 

Also on the ubisoft forums over here -

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8061039638

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 03:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Let's go, someone go make a video. :rockout

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next