Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 19:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 00:28 
Founder
Founder

What does it mean that BM is "fully" supported? Does that mean I dont have to deal with the EDID crap anymore?

Sorry. EDID limitations are still there.

Will the total width of monitors be wider going 5 in portait or 3 in landscape! About how much either way?? I have 3x1680x1050 monitors and thinking of going 5 in portrait. Not alot of extra deskspace!
Thanks for the help??

It's almost the exact same width. Within an inch or so (at least on the monitors I've had).

What stand are you using Ibrin? The ergotech? If so was there any additions you had to pick up for the additional 2 monitors? Thanks!

Yes, the Ergotech. The center bar is longer. It's not part of a specific SKU yet. I hope to be protoyping a five segment part within the week that will take up less space (at least when pushed into a corner like mine), and allow for a more parabolic shape to the monitors.

I would not recommend anything larger than a 22" for 5x1-P, at least to use the Ergotech stand. I tried 5x24" with the Dell U2410. Those monitors are particularly heavy, but it was just too much in general. My 22" Dell U2211H (1920x1080) work great. Very tight dot pitch at that size/res, and a very reasonable weight.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 02:18 
Insiders
Insiders

"Explicative" 'bout time. Now... Buy 2 more 30"rs or Sell my 30"rs and buy 5 24"rs... I have to think about this.

[quote]What does it mean that BM is "fully" supported? Does that mean I dont have to deal with the EDID crap anymore?

You probably do have to deal with it.
2 more 30's!!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 05:40 

[quote]What does it mean that BM is "fully" supported? Does that mean I dont have to deal with the EDID crap anymore?

Sorry. EDID limitations are still there.

Will the total width of monitors be wider going 5 in portait or 3 in landscape! About how much either way?? I have 3x1680x1050 monitors and thinking of going 5 in portrait. Not alot of extra deskspace!
Thanks for the help??

It's almost the exact same width. Within an inch or so (at least on the monitors I've had).

What stand are you using Ibrin? The ergotech? If so was there any additions you had to pick up for the additional 2 monitors? Thanks!

Yes, the Ergotech. The center bar is longer. It's not part of a specific SKU yet. I hope to be protoyping a five segment part within the week that will take up less space (at least when pushed into a corner like mine), and allow for a more parabolic shape to the monitors.

I would not recommend anything larger than a 22" for 5x1-P, at least to use the Ergotech stand. I tried 5x24" with the Dell U2410. Those monitors are particularly heavy, but it was just too much in general. My 22" Dell U2211H (1920x1080) work great. Very tight dot pitch at that size/res, and a very reasonable weight.

Thanks for getting back to me> I know you are very busy with the 6970 review and real life> I really do appreciate it. I have 3 dell p2210 - 22 inch 1680x1050 monitors native dp. May get 2 more. Will get more info on stand later.
One last question please! If I stayed at 3 monitors could I use 5040x1050 to game and use a fourth extended monitor at the same time for teamspeak etc all on same 6970? I have been trying to find this out for 3 days and can not get a positive answer.
I could not with my 5970. Can I with 6970 as single or xfire?? Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 06:15 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for getting back to me> I know you are very busy with the 6970 review and real life> I really do appreciate it. I have 3 dell p2210 - 22 inch 1680x1050 monitors native dp. May get 2 more. Will get more info on stand later.
One last question please! If I stayed at 3 monitors could I use 5040x1050 to game and use a fourth extended monitor at the same time for teamspeak etc all on same 6970? I have been trying to find this out for 3 days and can not get a positive answer.

Not a problem. Glad to help. Yes, you can run four monitors natively. You can use the two Mini-DP ports, plus two of the three HDMI/DVI/DVI ports. However, the problem will be using the 4th monitor while gaming in full screen on the three in Eyefinity. You may need to game in a windowed mode for the Eyefinity, which would hurt performance and prohibit CFX support.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 07:37 

[quote]Thanks for getting back to me> I know you are very busy with the 6970 review and real life> I really do appreciate it. I have 3 dell p2210 - 22 inch 1680x1050 monitors native dp. May get 2 more. Will get more info on stand later.

Not a problem. Glad to help. Yes, you can run four monitors natively. You can use the two Mini-DP ports, plus two of the three HDMI/DVI/DVI ports. However, the problem will be using the 4th monitor while gaming in full screen on the three in Eyefinity. You may need to game in a windowed mode for the Eyefinity, which would hurt performance and prohibit CFX support.

Ok so I have 3 native dp monitors and it looks like all yours are. How do you have your five hooked up the the gpu??
On my 5970 I used a tritton uv-150 usb to vga adapter to power the fourth monitor! It does not mess with anything in windows display or anything. Works perfect for teamspeak, afterburner, steam friends etc. Not fast enough for video but I do not need it to be.
Works great with amd solution but 3 weeks ago I sold the 5970 for good money to a coworker. He is letting me use his 2x260gtx till the 6990 comes out. I want the 6990 as I play graw 1/2 and mafia and have a 250gts for physx. Do not want to go 6950/6970 xfire then I have to go 3 cards for physx and that does not really work for me.
Another thing that was nice is that with the 5970 being so long that the entire fan could get air because the 250 gts was much shorter than the 5970 and did not interfere with airflow of the 5970. With the new cards the top would would be a little starved for air.

Sorry I got carried away right there but could you just tell me how you have the five cards hooked up to the gpu? Are you using a hdmi to dvi adapter or hdmi to dp adapter Thanks again!
BTW is there a way I could make a donation to the wsgf??

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 14:32 
Editors
Editors

Excellent. EyeFinity continues to advance. :)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 15:52 
Founder
Founder

Sorry I got carried away right there but could you just tell me how you have the five cards hooked up to the gpu? Are you using a hdmi to dvi adapter or hdmi to dp adapter Thanks again!
BTW is there a way I could make a donation to the wsgf??

No problem. I like the enthusiasm. ;-) I have them hooked up though a Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 card. I am using five Mini-DP to DP connections, plus one Mini-DP to HDMI for my HDTV (to play stuff like Monkey Island).

Sure, you can send a PayPal donation to [email protected]. I also had an Amazon donate thing, but I would need to find the code to repost it.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 15:59 

That is absolutely epic. :bowdown:

I wish I had IPS monitors...

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 16:16 

Nice! Just when I though I was cool for having 3 monitors, I see this.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 17:30 

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1012ahotfix.aspx

10.12a

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next