Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Oct 2024, 05:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 19:30 

Smallest Bezel with preferably some 3D

46" minimum 55" max

Lets get crazy and I will put up pics as the build happens.

PC I ordered is nearly $11k

I looked at all the Samsung stuff so far...but there has got to be more out there..please help me find the right solution.

smallest Bezel,..small,.thin..tiny..

this Forum rocks!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 20:23 

:welcome

The Samsung UTn series of large format monitors has 2.4 mm bezels on the bottom and right, and 4.3 mm on the top and left. They have a 46" that goes for around $7,000 USD. Unfortunately the native resolution is only 1366x768 and it's not 3D-capable.

What boutique did you buy your system from? Or are you building it yourself? For that price it sounds like a Falcon-NW system. You could build your own with a similar configuration for around half the price, but hey, if you have the money to burn why not go crazy, right? :rockout

Found another 46" with the same bezel size and same native resolution from NEC for around $4,000 USD, model number X462UN. The Samsung panel is IPS while the NEC panel is S-PVA.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 12:43 

ips vs s-pva?
which would you go with?..wait ,.what does that mean?

this one also says 1360x768 native @ 2.5mm
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/cd4636.htm
but here it says "CD4636 46" Ultra Slim Bezel Full HD 1080p Commercial LCD Display"
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/digital-signage/view-all-products/

I am making a racing simulator,..driver will be fairly close to the 3 screens.
if I cant get a super slim bezel and a native resolution of 1080p,..think I should just settle for 3-40's?
It may say native 1360x768,..but all seem to say 1920x1080 supported...whats the problem?

The PC cost is based on tech that is really.really new. some custom case work,.hand made stuff.

cannot thank you enough for your help.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 19:39 

This thread has a good breakdown of the pros and cons of the different LCD panel types. TN is the most common because they are the cheapest to produce. They have the best pixel response times, but the viewing angles can be restrictive and color reproduction is poorer than the more expensive panels. I would like to point out that on my TN panel the viewing angle is really good: I can see up to 150 degrees to the side before the image starts to darken.

IPS has the best color reproduction, but slower response time and poor contrast ratio. PVA has the slowest response time, but the best viewing angles and contrast ratio (however some people say blacks can overpower details). S-PVA halves response times so they are just a little slower than TN, but to do so it uses overdrive which can introduce ghosting.

As far as the resolution goes, 1366x768 is native because of the dot pitch. Any resolution lower or higher will be scaled to the dot pitch because it is restricted by the number of pixels in the screen. Lower resolutions will appear blocky and blurred, while higher resolutions will appear fuzzy. This isn't necessarily a problem if you're sitting further away from the screen. For your application however, it may be a problem. You may want to find a place that will allow you to test the screens so you can see the performance and quality differences yourself. The nature of LCD screens means that whatever the native resolution is the picture quality will be spot on when running it.

A 50"+ screen is very large and may be disorienting and painful to play on if you're sitting less than ten feet from it. Combine the use of two other monitors on the periphery it will become overwhelming. You may want to consider looking at 32"-37" monitors instead. This is just my opinion, and you'll want to look at all options yourself to see what's right for you.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 20:18 

After a long wait,..

I go on Tuesday to test these...

http://www.planarcontrolroom.com/lcd-displays/clarity-matrix/

going for 3 of the 55" versions w/only 5.7mm separation between ..total.

OK experts,..without worrying about the distance away from the screens I should play,..talk me out of this.

Is there a smaller Bezel out there yet? Is there anything better?