Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 21:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 17:26 

Ok, so on this PC I have an AMD 6970 GPU with the 1st display 27" at 1920x1080, and a 2nd display 60" HDTV also at 1920x1080. Both are running as duplicate displays (not extended), and working just how I want them to.

Now I am adding a small 12.1' LCD for my gaming. I also want this as a duplicate display. This display runs at a smaller resolution. As soon as I connect this up, the 27" and 60" drop in resolution down to the 12' display!

Can this be prevented so each can run their own maximum resolution?

Is there a certain order or connections that need to be used with the AMD card for this to happen?

For that 3rd 12' display connection I am using a mini DP (back of 6970 card), -to-DVI (which is an active DP adapter). Then from the DVI into the display which has a DVI port.

So surely some of you gamers have come across this situation? Any input, ideas most appreciated. In the meantime I will try different cable configs to see if the order makes any difference.

thx,

Clutch

Post subject: Not sure if this can be
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 17:40 
Editors
Editors

Not sure if this can be Prevented...

You're using "Duplicate" Monitor on all 3 Screens! So that means the Smalles maximum Resolution of these 3 Screens is the total Maximum resolution! So if your 12.1" LCD only supports 1280x800 pixel and not higher that means you can't use higher resolutions in Duplicated mode.

easiest way around this would be to set the 12.1" LCD as "Extended" Monitor. If you can live with that.

Else you should try GPU Scaling on the two Other monitors or the small one do scale down/Up the Resolution so that if fits. (though... not shure IF and HOW that works.)

Post subject: Yea, that's what it is
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 19:20 

Yea, that's what it is looking like. It's looking like one cannot have three displays in duplicate mode with one card? Can anyone confirm this?

Can I add a 2nd AMD video card, but not a matching 6970, and have the 12" on the 2nd card, and thus have all three dispalys in duplicate mode?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 20:03 

Wasn't Clutch Cargo's a club in Detroit back in the mid 90's?
or am I crazy?

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 08:08 

Clutch your a strange guy. You have 3 monitors all displaying the same image, whats the point of that ?
you have a 60" 1080p display a 27" 1080p display and you think no these are no good for gaming what I really need is a 12" display that runs at 1280x800 :D

Post subject: Clutch Cargo wrote: It's
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 19:46 
Editors
Editors

It's looking like one cannot have three displays in duplicate mode with one card?

You can! But all Monitors MUST have the exact Same Resolution .... thats why it's called "Duplicated" or "cloned" and not just "mirrored"

Can I add a 2nd AMD video card, but not a matching 6970, and have the 12" on the 2nd card, and thus have all three dispalys in duplicate mode?

No idea. But i'd guess it would NOT work. Because its the AMD Drivers that say the GPU what it should show. so it doesn't matter which GPU does it.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 19:50 

Ha, yea sounds a little odd - guess I should explain. My game of choice is Flight Simulator. I already have one system running FSX with three 27" displays that will be in Nvidia Surround. This is the second system I am building that has issues. It will be used for external flightsim programs like weather, GPS and external gauges. 12" for the gauges, 27" for normal PC operation and the 60" is just something I port over to when I am in the other room.

What I have discovered so far with this AMD system is duplicate displays will drop down to the lowest resolution that is present. I can extend the 12" off the 27" and each can have it's own resolution. Which looks like this might be workable for my situation.