Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 17:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 02:57 
Founder
Founder

I don't give my Name, Address, Date of Birth and Credit Card details to WSGF. Any site I do give those details to I have to trust them completely, and if i had recently read of a hack where these customer details (bar CC in that case) had been stolen, I would indeed avoid them. Surely that's just good sense ?
Our logic is obviously not comparable. Mine isn't so Black and White.

The vast majority of signups on Spotify do not pay anything, so no CC details exist for them. Then those that as using the free service do so under fake names and addresses (like me) as there is no reason to use anything different. So you wont be giving your CC, name, DOB or address to Spotify either.
So what if a bunch of useless crap is stolen, its still a garbage list. You arent signing your deeds away, its just a music streaming service! I would say your view is indeed very black and white?

Yeah, Im on for safety too, but as I said, so many sites and services have been hacked, if you avoid Spotify as it was merely more recent, then you need to avoid PayPal, Ebay, Google, Microsoft etc etc.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 03:35 
Founder
Founder

[quote]

I don't give my Name, Address, Date of Birth and Credit Card details to WSGF. Any site I do give those details to I have to trust them completely, and if i had recently read of a hack where these customer details (bar CC in that case) had been stolen, I would indeed avoid them. Surely that's just good sense ?
Our logic is obviously not comparable. Mine isn't so Black and White.

The vast majority of signups on Spotify do not pay anything, so no CC details exist for them.
I said "bar CC in that case".
Then those that as using the free service do so under fake names and addresses (like me) as there is no reason to use anything different.

That's probably an incorrect generalisation, and would hardly be a reassuring point for the site if people feel they have to do this if true !
So what if a bunch of useless crap is stolen, its still a garbage list.

That's your opinion. I think my Name, email address and other personal details are a bit more important.
if you avoid Spotify as it was merely more recent, then you need to avoid PayPal, Ebay, Google, Microsoft etc etc.

I haven't heard any reports of personal records being hacked and stolen from these before, but if I had known about it before signing up to any of them I would have surely been wary.

I try to avoid a quote war, especially about opinion. It's utterly pointless.

It's generous of you to offer up the invites and I'm sure some people will be interested.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 17:06 
Founder
Founder

I try to avoid a quote war, especially about opinion. It's utterly pointless.

Pot. Kettle. Black. You might just wanna stop now eZ... if you were trying to avoid a quote war. Now, as a third party, I'm asking that neither of you reply to this or each other, and let it drop. This is a Spotify invite thread, and the discussion about it being hacked, while informative, was really pointless. Anyone who signs up for a service which does take credit card info should in their right mind, investigate if that system has been breached before, and draw their own conclusions from that.

Now, both of you, sit down, play nice, or i'll ask that you both be put in time-out. :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 17:30 
Founder
Founder

Mates, if this thread turns in to one of "those" threads again I'll lock it immediately. Cut the crap and just be nice okay.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 19:16 
Founder
Founder

All i posted was a recent report which I think people should be aware of. It was taken with a fanboy-like reaction which then of course turned to attacks on personal behavior rather than the merits or otherwise of the actual website.

I ended my last post in a way that announced myself out of it all and welcomed people posting for invites, so your posts were unnecessary and actually served a negative purpose by extending this.