Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 22:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2004, 13:58 

Well I took some pics but the only digital camera type thing I have is a Logitech web cam and the resolution was SO bad it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to host them somewhere.

The screen is awesome. No ghosting that I can see even in fast paced FPS like Painkiller and FarCry. The latter was very jerky on my 9800pro but today I found an X800XT on Tottenham Court Road of all places! A lil more *cough* ok a lot more expensive than the one I have had on pre-order forever but it's in my machine and running FarCry with all setting on max and ultra high water with x16 performance AF at 1920x1200 and looks amazing. Just watched the Ruby demo which was impressive too.

Just running everything at stock speeds on a 3.0GHz P4 with 800MHz FSB and 1GB ram in dual thingy mode. Certainly there is nothing on the market currently that cannot be run silky smooth at 1920x1200. I'm sure Doom3, HL2 and EQ2 will tax the system but I'm all set up and ready for them *rawr!*

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2004, 14:06 
Editors
Editors

Heh. You're right about Doom 3. One of the .plan's says that for max settings, it'll need a 512MB graphics card! Ouch! (Not to mention all the other attendant stuff like a 3.4EE P4/Athlon FX-53...)

Glad you found the card, though, even if it was more expensive. ;) Gonna cancel the pre order, or keep it and sell when it arrives? :D 'Cause the XT's are arriving in such small quantities that most places only get one or two in before they have to order more. And then that takes ages... etc etc... :(

Post subject: screen arrived
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2004, 21:25 

Got mine today also, Fantastic screen, I did however have issues with my x800XTPE, seems to be shimmering alot also red static in some areas.

Ended up putting in my 9700pro and all seems well, I think it's possible that the DVI is knackered on the x800 so will be sending it back for a replacement :( , but very impressed with the screen, superb bit of kit :)

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2004, 03:42 

Go into Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Options and uncheck the "Alternative DVI Operational Mode" and your freaky shimmering will be gone.
Same happened to me when I first booted up with it but it's just a simple setting in the options.

As far as Doom3 is concerned, Hard|OCP has very comprehensive benchmarks up for combinations of cards and systems. My 3.0GHz P3 and the X800XT-PE will happily run it at 53 fps with High Quality settings, all options on and 1600x1200 resolution with 8AF. That will only get better with driver optimizations too.

Post subject: screen fixed
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2004, 18:28 

Go into Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Options and uncheck the "Alternative DVI Operational Mode" and your freaky shimmering will be gone.
Same happened to me when I first booted up with it but it's just a simple setting in the options.

wow you have fixed my problem, the amount of people who I've asked for advice on that and did'nt have a clue including some top guru's from apple, I owe you a pint :)

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 17:25 
Editors
Editors

Hey guys ...
I am about to buy an 30" Apple Cinema Display ... primarily for gaming ... so I wonder if you could answer a question for me ...

On games that do not support widescreen resolutions what happens ?
Do they not play at all or do they play but in the centre of the screen ?

Thanks in advance .... :D

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 22:40 
Editors
Editors

They either play centred, or stetched to fit the screen, dependent on the settings you have selected on you graphics card. :) Remember, the best monitor in the world doesn't help if the graphics card isn't up to it. Equally, the greatest graphics card in the world is little use if it's hooked up to some 640x480 passive matrix LCD. :lol: :D

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 23:23 
Editors
Editors

Thank you ... :D

I was worried that some games that didn't support widescreen may not play on a widescreen at all ... :shock:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 23:27 
Editors
Editors

Look in the Software forum for a topic on the Widescreen/non-widescreen issue...

Actually, here it is: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2004, 23:41 
Editors
Editors

I was just looking for something like that .... :D

I like this bit by Ibrin ...

I think this is what you are looking for. robN8R (who I think is on here as well) posted it on the zd7000 forums

Quote:
If you want the system to stretch your game to fit the widescreen "Use Display Adapter Scaling" under DisplayProperties/Settings/Advanced/GeForceFXGo5600/FlatPanelDisplay. If you don't want the system to stretch the game select "Use Centered Output". If you want the aspect ratio to remain fixed and have the system scale up to fit as much as possible on the screen, chose "Use Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling".

I have seen a few complaints about the widescreen stretching. This should help resolve this. Although I like the widescreen stretch, I'm afraid it might ruin my game when I switch back to a normal monitor. Not that I had such a great game to begin with. hehe

Even if we don't come up with the solutions ourselves, we scour the net looking for them.

Hopefully you have a GeForce-based chipset, so this will work for you. If not, you might now be able to contact ATI asking about "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling" and have them know what you're talking about.

As I think I'm going to go for a GeForce 6800 Ultra ... hopefully ... it will have similar display properties settings.... :D
... Thanks again ... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next