Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 17:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 19:06 
Editors
Editors

Hi Mac Tom ...

There is no way to turn it off in the game ...
It is either running or it isn't ...

There is no uninstaller as nothing is installed ...

Just put the contents of the rar into your BF2 folder ...
Start the hack before you start the game ... leave it running whilst you play.
Instructions for the keys to change the FOV etc are displayed by the tool.
After playing the game just close the tool.

As I say ... nothing is installed ... :D

As Racer_S says (in the post above) any server running Punkbuster will kick you from the game.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 19:53 

Am I right if I say that if the program is not running, after it is put into the BF2 folder, you can still play on ranked/punkbuster servers. But if it is running, punkbuster will kick you?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 20:01 
Editors
Editors

I would say so ...
PB only kicks when it picks up that something has changed with the game files ... if the hack isn't running then it isn't changing anything.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 20:17 

Sounds great! Thanks Racer and Paddy.

Would you mind if I brought this program to Punkbuster to see if they will allow it to work on enabled servers?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2006, 14:44 
Founder
Founder

would it be possible to automatically set the FOV in 1680x1050? its kind of a pain figuring out which settings to use, and having to change it every time.

thanks a lot for the great tool.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 15:41 

I see why this is being picked up by PB.

(don't worry I'm no cheater, I'm one of the mods at PunksBusted :wink: )

One that is sick of playing in squish screen :evil:

@Racer_S

I take it the method used is injection, well PB will kick for injections, maybe even worse.

Also there is also the possibility that some cheater could change this to allow mega zoom functionality, and because of that, I would bet EB wouldn't allow this to be used.

Now I have a workaround, and can get the guys at EB to check this out and if its OK, allowed to be used.

Remove the active changing of FOV, make fixed resolutions, with a fixed FOV for each corresponding resolution.

Remove the injection, use a similar method that Fraps use, or maybe even a simple hook, and lock it down so it cannot be modified or abused.

Once thats done, I can get the EB guys to look at it.

Knowing how EB and PB work, this is the only way I can see of getting the FOV fix we all crave.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2006, 18:54 

Also, why is the text in Battlefield 2 so crappy? I'm running native resolution (well with black bars obviously) and GUI looks terrible, noticeably the fonts. Ah well... At least the game is fun.

Thanks for bringing this up... I've always thought the HUD text is horrible looking. I think I know why, though. Normally, I would run the game in 1280x1024 (before I got my widescreen monitor). I noticed how the HUD text looks strange and blurred. I tried running the game in 800x600 and it looked much better!

My theory is that the game stretches the text / hud to take up the same amount of your screen no matter what resolution you're running and it makes it blurred.

In some ways you have to admit that a bigger FOV gives you an unfair advantage over someone that doesn't, cmon guys, and that's how they look at WS being cheating. Just like some headphones (Medusas for exemple) are not permitted in some competitions, because they "help" you locate players more easily. Anything that is "outside" the game or the code of the game itself, will be considered cheating, IMO.

Nope, I don't think it's cheating. So you're saying if someone has a Dual graphic card setup (Like SLi or Crossfire), runs a high resolution (so they can see objects in more detail) and and like 4GB of ram (for no studdering) they are cheating because it's outside of the game's code? That's complete crap.

P.S. Do you think it would be possible to stop the HUD from stretching? Maybe scale it down and make it fit the 16:10 aspec ratio, or just make them stay centered like 4:3 only not stretched to make it look like ovals.

P.S. #2 If Battlefield 2142 does not support widescreen, I WILL NOT be buying it... and let's add while we're at it F*** YOU PUNKBUSTER YOU INTRUSIVE PEICE OF S***!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2006, 16:02 

If verified, EA's stance of "fairness" is total BS. 90% of new blockbusters support widescreen, because they know that the top of the line users enjoy it. There's no denying that it improves the gameplay, and therefore is an "advantage", but so is (like you've all said) sound system, network, cpu, and graphics power.

If you want unfair gaming advantages, I'll give you some. How about disabling HDR? Turning off graphics like low-level entities. These are constant disadvantages for me. It's not fair either. Because my system can handle these options I get sniped all the time from shadows, or through bushes that puny PCs can't render. However, that's what I pay for. A more realistic, enjoyable gaming experience. 56k modem profiling is just the tip of the iceburg.

The bottom line is, it's still the user's choice to play narrow-view. When I had a 12 x 10, I still used black bars because widescreen is just plain better. As long as everyone has the same option code-wise, it's completely fair.

BTW: I sure hope they don't crucify Crysis as well. What happened, Ubisoft...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 17:08 

Any news on this?? I hope u can make it work with punkbusted guys help!

:D

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 04:14 

I read this whole thread awhile ago. Now I can't remember. The current download that was offered will allow people to play offline at a LAN party, correct?

Has there been any progress made with Punkbuster cooperating to allow the FOV change? 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next