Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 18:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 18:21 

I've been looking around here and it's my opinion that some of the passion to see that PC gamers get the proper aspect ratio in games have dimension. Yes, this website have made developers aware that 4:3 isn't acceptable for 16:10 users. But what about 16:9 being supplemented for 16:10? Why is this given a pass when we are getting less height and reduced width when a game is running 16:10? For example, Dragon Age, where if you toggle between the 2 aspect ratios you get the same height but only get increase in width using 16:9. That's not the correct aspect ratio if you want to use 16:10 yet it's not brought up or discussed :doh.

I'm not trying to make fuss about it but it's those examples that should be pointed out here (if so worded so that we all can understand it). And if it's not the correct aspect ratio then perhaps someone can provide a program that does. That's all I'm really saying... :hide

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 23:38 
Editors
Editors

I'm not completely sure what you're trying to say.

16:9 is a wider aspect ratio than 16:10, so it is correct you see more horizontally in 16:9. So 16:10 will indeed be "hor-" compared to 16:9. What you see vertically will be unchanged.

I'm unfamiliar with the "aspect ratio switch" in Dragon Age: Origins as well. As far as I'm aware its been fully certified as perfect for all Aspect Ratios.

Take another glance at our Widescreen FAQ maybe.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 00:32 

Yes, this website have made developers aware that 4:3 isn't acceptable for 16:10 users.

There is nothing wrong with 4:3 on a 16:10 display if that is all the game can reasonably support. The WSGF favors the support for the wider aspect ratios because of the whole championing widescreen thing. :)

But what about 16:9 being supplemented for 16:10? Why is this given a pass when we are getting less height and reduced width when a game is running 16:10?

You can't get both at the same time. You get less display height when the game uses letterboxes to keep the wider aspect ratio and you get reduced width when the game uses a narrower aspect ratio.

I think you are describing a game with a 16:9 baseline that uses a fixed horizontal fov so that narrower aspect ratios get more added to top and bottom of the viewable area. That is generally undesirable behavior for a multitude of reasons which have been mentioned throughout the site.

For example, Dragon Age, where if you toggle between the 2 aspect ratios you get the same height but only get increase in width using 16:9. That's not the correct aspect ratio if you want to use 16:10 yet it's not brought up or discussed.

It is the correct aspect ratio if the game supports a 16:10 aspect ratio, which it does. Dragon Age is not using the 16:9 aspect ratio for a 16:10 resolution, it is using a 16:10 aspect ratio. Just like it is using a 5:4 aspect ratio for a 5:4 resolution.

It may have been made with a certain aspect ratio in mind but it has been designed to support aspect ratios as narrow as 5:4. With each wider aspect ratio more is added to the sides of the viewable area. But the game has been designed to run in a 5:4 aspect ratio.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 03:41 

It is my opinion that you are mistaken, when compared to 16:9 that is not 16:10. With 16:10 you should see more from the top and bottom of the screen. It shouldn't be the same as 16:9. Look at the example below:

As you can see the image is more of a close up look at 16:9. However, in Dragon Age it's 16:10 that gives off that close up view :doh. This is incorrect and should be pointed out. Also perhaps offer a mod tool so that we can get the correct aspect ratio for these games.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 04:23 

You picture source in your example is narrower than 16:10 and 16:9. Hence is does not really apply, and if it did I doubt anyone would want to see less than the originally intended image.

As you can see the image is more of a close up look at 16:9. However, in Dragon Age it's 16:10 that gives off that close up view . This is incorrect and should be pointed out. Also perhaps offer a mod tool so that we can get the correct aspect ratio for these games.

None of the aspect ratios in Dragon Age give a "close up" view. The vertical fov is fixed in all aspect ratios. I am not really sure what you are getting at.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 04:32 

Well, all you've really done is prove my OP here. Sadly, the passion is gone. I'm not here to argue as it is what it is. The aspect ratio isn't being properly scaled in some of the games and it hasn't been pointed out or mentioned. Perhaps you are unaware or don't care, whatever. Ultimately, it's clear that we will only agree to disagree.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 05:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Complacent? Hell no. Since I discovered my first wide display and WSGF, I've become a real snob about it.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 05:45 

The aspect ratio isn't being properly scaled in some of the games and it hasn't been pointed out or mentioned. Perhaps you are unaware or don't care, whatever.

That is a good way to make a point. Whatever it was.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 07:41 

Is he saying that most games are designed around 16:9 and thus 16:10 is "Hor-"? I think that might be what he is saying.

I suppose he is right, but it's not really a flaw we can knock.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 11:57 
Editors
Editors

A lot of people tend to think 1920x1200 is "taller" than 1080p. This is true on your desktop, but wrong as far as 3D is concerned.
Most wide TVs on display in stores show shamelessly stretched/letterboxed movies. This is wrong as far as the original content is concerned.
PC users had rather complain loudly than question their own opinions. No good...

16:10, the Golden Ratio ? Sounds a lot like the Golden Age to me. Try pouring some knowledge into your own personal myths, mate. This is the right place. ;)