Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 08:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 23:45 

HI

Is there REALY any way to obtain what they promised ? Since 2 months, i trusted what Matrox said, bought a DTH2Go and three 22" screens. And since 2 months, no way to have the result they have announced.

My Vista 64 machine with Nvidia 8800GTX machine cannot give me the 5040X1050 resolution. I have tried a dozen of drivers, only one works in native resolution, but only in Windows, GXM cannot propose triple 1680X1050. And this driver is crashing FSX after 10 seconds, all 2D apps after 10 minutes.

When your setup is cumulating Windows bugs, Nvidia bugs, GXM bugs and FSX bugs, your coming crazy !

I saw a few threads here showing me that I am not alone with such desappointements, but Matrox doesn't advertise from such incompatibilities. I think after 2 months, we can hope better support.

Denis

Post subject: acusations fly, duck...
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 02:33 

Considering your post was so poorly written I am going to assume that your native language is not that of english origin, so i will try to make this as easy to understand as possible. I am not afiliated with matrox and have only owned their Triplehead2go for a short while, however i have been in the software and hardware bussiness for quite some time and would gladly address some of your conserns.

A.) the ammount of data required to travel down the dvi-dual link cale is nearly maxed out @ 5040x1050 57hz (5 megapixels 57 times in 1 second) thats near the realm of insane!

B.) nvidia drivers are not the problem, they are EXTREMELY tight to the specs of microsofts Directx and D3d standards, in fact i can give you many examples were they are so perfect that they cause problems with weak edid's.

C.) The firmware patch added the feature for the 5:1 ratio triple widescreen setting not the matrox powerdesk software, if you use the "configure custom resolutions" you can add them manually (which btw is what the 158.19 driver script built into the matrox software does)

D.) matrox is a small company with only a even smaller market to cater to, the fact that they put in the R&D time to add widescreen resolutions to their product and have it work so well is amazing!

E.) lockups after minutes of use usually indicate a bad driver install, lack of power for the cpu or NB or SB or GPU, Corrupt or failing ram, or many other thing which piont to... YOUR COMPUTER, and not matrox's hardware.

Anyway good luck with your problem, however next time don't start asking for help by being rude!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 06:29 

Any resolution at 57Hz is not remotely standard. Most lcds run at 60Hz, if they work a bit more or less than that, bonus, they're not expected to.

That I've seen issues with resolutions not functionning have more to do with lcd that don't like any setting outside their native resolution and scan rate.

You should not blame a company for expecting more then was available when -you- decided to purchase that hardware.

If you are unwilling to accept some amount of failure, incompatibilities and general unexpected results from the bleeding egde that is pc usage, may I suggest you move to a console and save your blame for a company that doesn't catter to it's users?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 09:01 

mesh and meizme,

normally i would agree with you, but in fact i feel the same like the thread opener, upset. why?

http://matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/download/gxm/tool/

there exists a matrox tool which tells you if you can run th2go or nor. it tells me i can go th2go, even with 5040*1050 at 57Hz. but in fact it doesnt.
I find my monitors in the thread of supporting monitors, so my lcds cant be the problem. i also find technical documents, telling me, a 9800gx2 got a dual dvi output. and there exist a thread in this forum, of ppl. confirming some drivers wont work....

btw i am also poorly speaking english, sorry for that, i am german.

1st: [email protected], MSI X58 Pro-e, 24 GB Tripplechannel 1333, TUL R9 280X and Powercolor 7970 @ Crossfire with 2x Samsung 226CW 1x Dell P2210 @ 5040x1050 and Iiyama 2250MTS @ 1920x1080, Bequit Darkpower P8 1200W, G13, G15, G35, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Rudder, Saitek Yoke, Obutto R3volution Cockpit
http://ralfesser.de

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 17:10 

Falke, I replied for a single reason:

This kind of thread is pointless.

No matter what outrage you might have that your gear isn't working, posting this kind of thread doesn't help.

If what is supposed to work doesn't then be in contact with those that can impact it, be it microsoft, nvidia, matrox or someone else.

The energy you waste posting about it here could be better server getting lines with those that can do something about it, the devs., the driver writers, anyone but here.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:00 

Hi everybody,Thank you for your answers (right, English isn't my native langage).

I've actually the native resolution, so no problems with LCD frequencies, cable default or GXM soft. The only driver I have found that allows me this resolution is 175.16.

BUT : GXM does not propose this resolution, so in 3D app, the i have to interpolthe screens. I can only rech trhe triple 1680X1050 with Windows settings. I have tried to set a manual resolution with GXM, but each time, the screens stay black : 5040X1050@57hz is not working.

AND I am a Flight Simulator fan (since 1988). The 175.16 is unable to run FSX longer than 10 secs (e.g . 178.16 can run FSX 12 hours without any trouble, I can switch from full screen to windowed mode, open other applications, and there is virtually no way to crash this driver.

So, I have never reached the native resolution in my favorite application, and the only driver that works in this resolution under windows doesnt like my simulator (and is crashing in 2D apps all 10 minutes).

What I would appeciate is to know if anybody has other Nvidia driver for Vista64 that reaches the 5040X1050 in windows (I've tried 17 different drivers and this is a lot of time).

If I see a few answers like "my setup runs Vista64 and full triple wide works with someNvidia drivers that i've till tried, so, OK, I would admit it si my machine. But for the moment, I have not such answer ? I have seen a lot of messages from people having similar probs, and didn't have some solution.

I can understand that Matrox is not a Major Company, but I think they could advertise people that Nvidia + Vista64 does actually not work, or give a minimal indications to overcome this probs.

And I must add that Matrox's support does'nt answer to my mails, so I have now certain reason to be bad ! I could accept an answer like: OK, we know this kind of problem, we are working with Microsoft or Nvidia to solve this, but i simply get noyhing, and this is not fair !

Best regards

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:23 
Editors
Editors

That's what I use my sig for : a not-too-intrusive space for the free expression of my frustration. Much better than mad posts with titles in caps ;) :lol:

Folks, if you're running Vista : create a new partition and try installing a trial version of XP. Chances are 5040x1050 will work flawlessly on that OS, it does on my rig. If not, well maybe there's sth more to it than "Matrox's fault"...

And have faith/patience ! I'm confident Matrox didn't introduce support for those new resolutions just to withdraw it a couple months later and leave us to our misery...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:32 

I'm confident Matrox didn't introduce support for those new resolutions just to withdraw it a couple months later and leave us to our misery...

You don't think it's anything to do with the increasing scarcity of 1280x1024 screens? :lol:

It is laudable however that they did it as a firmware upgrade rather than a new box.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:49 
Editors
Editors

Are you trying to ruin my guileless, cheerful post or sth ? :? :lol:

Simu67 : 5040x1050 works for me on Vista64 with forceware drivers 177.41 :) No idea how your particular graphics card and FSX like that version though.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 22:55 

No satirical posts until I'm off 177.41s, all sniping must be explicit!