Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 05:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Burnout Paradise
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 15:16 

Kinda reminds me of outrun style steering.

Its basically identical to Midnight club and Flatout aswell.

Ya know, I like the menu system now. Maybe just because I got used to it.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2009, 22:47 

Ya know, I like the menu system now. Maybe just because I got used to it.
It's not so much that the menu itself is horrible, it's just that navigating through it is not intuitive. They give you no clue how to get to certain screens essential for basic navigating.

There are lots of people on the net asking how you access basic pages of the menu. That said, at least it's stable. I have exited out of it via Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+Tab and Alt+F4 with no problems.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 19:49 

I'm disappointed with this game, the physics are a joke imo and the graphics aren't that great either. I know it's meant to be an arcade racer but it's just too easy imo. I prefer TDU still for freeroaming and Flatout : Ultimate Carnage for violent racing I think still....

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 20:57 

I'm disappointed with this game, the physics are a joke imo and the graphics aren't that great either. I know it's meant to be an arcade racer but it's just too easy imo. I prefer TFU still for freeroaming and Flatout : Ultimate Carnage for violent racing I think still....

Yeah the game does start off very easy, only once you get the A class license it becomes remotely challenging. And even then its still quite easy.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 21:34 

It's largely due to the Ultimate Box patch they added. For instance before the patch the timers were not dynamic. Now they slow down and speed up depending on how well you're doing. They also say they made barrel roles easier. I'd hate to see them when they weren't, because I'm still having a hard time nailing them. It may be the cars I'm using though. I tend to get lazy and cling to the fastest cars, which are great for racing, but suck for stunts. Despite that I finally aced the 100,000 point stunt run with 193,000 points using a race car.

They claim the new patch features will still allow the more experienced and skilled Burnout players to be challenged just as much, but in reality they're going to have it easier when learning the map and not forcing themselves to do fancier barrel roles. That stunt timer is going to slow down the longer it takes to find stunts, which is likely going to be the case when you're learning the map.

I thought Flatout was too SIM-like when I tried the demo of the first one. For a game with such arcade-like content they should have made it more of an arcade-SIM hybrid, like GRID IMO. That way you could turn off assists if you like and make it one way or the other. Then again, I'm just using a KB still.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2009, 22:13 

They also say they made barrel roles easier. I'd hate to see them when they weren't, because I'm still having a hard time nailing them. It may be the cars I'm using though.

oh lord, I've only landed like 10 of them in all the time that ive played so far. My guess is that they made it so that you always level off. And its most defiantly not the cars your using, I exclusively use stunt cars and they don't seem to make much difference in stunts, just slightly lighter.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 04:35 

That's correct, the only thing they made easier was leveling the car AFTER the roll is successfully made, so as not to wipe out landing. It's kinda ridiculous because the hard part is getting the car to do a full roll. You have to hit just the right speed and aim at the ramp perfectly for it to happen.

I switched to the Jansen P12 stunt car, which was my best all around ride at the start of tonight's session, but I have to check the junkyard for a couple I collected to see if they're better. You are right that the stunts themselves aren't really any easier with a stunt car. However being as it's bit slower than my top race car and you can use the boost whenever you want, it is still better for stunt runs.

You can tap the boost when the 5 sec timer starts filling up to zero it and you're less likely to miss stunts due to too much speed. In fact, in a way it's even better for racing because you don't have to use the boost all in one shot and the race cars can actually be too fast to avoid collisions.

I'm currently licensed to A class, I assume there's just one more being Pro. I've read that the stunt runs can go as high as 500,000 points required in 1:15, but of course there is no time limit really as long as you keep the 5 sec timer zeroed. I've been experimenting with an awesome stunt route on Lewis Pass that has lots of Super Jumps in it. I just have to find a stunt event near it.

I hope they eventually offer a Replay option via a patch or DLC. It would be awesome to make some videos of this game, but I don't have good enough spec to run Fraps while playing. BTW, do you know how to disable the slow mo crash cinematic? I read it can be turned off but I don't see a way to do it. It's cool to look at but gets annoying when you have to do a lot of restarts.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 17:19 

The stunts are amazingly easy, because as long as you boost every 5 seconds you can keep it going.

My technique is that wherever you are, head up to the northern train tracks. There's five ramps in a row right there that earned me a million points (at least) every time.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 02:58 

The stunts are amazingly easy, because as long as you boost every 5 seconds you can keep it going.

My technique is that wherever you are, head up to the northern train tracks. There's five ramps in a row right there that earned me a million points (at least) every time.
Well the stunt RUNS anyway, we were speaking mainly of the barrel rolls of course, which are obviously the hardest stunts. They're the only ones they put a 2+ multiplier on and you can easily wipe out and stop your run on them, thus too risky to be reliable.

1 million is very good, I haven't gotten anywhere near that yet, though admittedly I have not learned the map well enough or focused on stunt runs enough to perfect them. I had a lot of fun last night though beating one of the NW stunt runs that requires 170,000 using the Hunter Takedown 4x4. There's a spot up there where you can link many Superjumps and Billboards, and a high drop to the train bridge via offroad shortcuts.

The Takedown 4x4 is hard to handle, and rolls over small guardrails easily into non playable crash areas, so you have to be careful. It is very durable though and resists vehicle crashing well. I captured a video beating that run with it getting 262,000, but since it ended shortly after getting on the train bridge due to letting the 5 sec timer lapse, I scrapped it. I suppose one could get a mill even with a rig like that considering how many Superjumps and Billboards there are once you get onto that train bridge.

I do have a couple videos I captured using the Hunter Racing Oval Champ though. It's one hot car, a sort of combo Speed/Aggression vehicle in the Aggression class. It's basically a sleek modern looking stock car. I actually collected it by accident on my way to record another stunt run with the Takedown 4x4. I saw it stopped spinning it's wheels after smacking headlong into a bridge pylon.

The Takedown 4x4 is very fun to race with. It's a lot like playing GRID with the Repulsor Field cheat on. Cars go flying off it. LOL I effectively beat the game last night, as the credits roll once you obtain a certain license level. There is still much game to play and a higher license to achieve though.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 04:17 

If you have a nicer car, the barrel rolls become a lot easier.

If you head up onto the northern part of the map from the north boardwalks, right before you get into the tunnels there will be an entrance onto the rail tracks.

If you keep doing the mini-jumps you'll maintain boost. You'll eventually get to an area with two jumps on either side with billboards. Do spins off of each while hitting the billboards, continue to get the billboard + spin on the bridge, and then keep going to see if you can hit the superjump + billboard + superjump (and any other spins) with the jump at the bottom of the hill.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Every single stunt run is then a cinch.

Once you get the Carson GT Concept, everything suddenly becomes amazingly easy (including the barrel rolls) ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next